Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diff Lock Advice

hayabusa

i am considering buying a 2002 3 door Rav 4 NRG to be used for towing a boat, i gather that the earlier models were able to lock the diff to enable full 4 wheel drive but the 2nd generation Rav4 apparently does not have a locking diff and if one wheel spins the the other 3 wheels dont get power, is this correct and will this effect pulling a boat off slip ways or accross rocky or stoney paths. would appreciate rapid replies as i am seeing this car tuesday, thanks alot guys. :D

The earlier 4.2s including the 2002 models were often fitted with a limited slip diff. Even the later ones (with the round spotlights) have astonishing off road ability so don't worry too much about pulling a boat out of the water as long as it isn't too heavy for the car.

Thanx Anchorman, the boat weighs about 350 kilos excluding trailer, i was just concerned about how it might cope on sand and pebbles if the slip way was too busy.

I think it will perform as well as most simlar vehicles with standard wheels and tyres. There is no doubt that the finest off roaders in the world are Land Rovers but its one thing to have good traction but another to push the thing complete with boat trailer out of the sea because it has thrown in the towel!!!

I honestly think a 350kg trailer will present little problem to a RAV.

My mate backs quite a heavy caravan up wet fields and into places he could never have believed with his 4.2.

Maybe somebody who has tried it will comment?

i am going to see a 2002 Black Rav NRG, i think that is the top spec, but dont think it has a sunroof (shame) with 60,000 miles with full service history for £3500, i think that is quite a good price, will test drive it and see what happens !! what do u think?

i am going to see a 2002 Black Rav NRG, i think that is the top spec, but dont think it has a sunroof (shame) with 60,000 miles with full service history for £3500, i think that is quite a good price, will test drive it and see what happens !! what do u think?

You could always ask for a 'Sea test' in addition to the Road test :boat:

I'm confused - if you want to go sailing, buy boat.

If you want a car to pull a trailer then the RAV is good at that.

If you want to drive a RAV uphill backwards to launch a boat see a psychiatrist

Most RAVs do not swim, nor do they like going underwater. You could fit a winch to the front end, or even the back end of the RAV......or buy a tractor

Most RAVs do not swim, nor do they like going underwater. You could fit a winch to the front end, or even the back end of the RAV......or buy a tractor

i shall "un-confuse" Mr Bothwe!! firstly i own a boat with a 'motor' not a 'sail' B) so i am motoring on water and not 'sailing', i have already seen a psychiatrist so i am more than happy to drive a Rav uphill backwards to launch without having to see another one !! :lol: if most Rav's dont swim does that mean that some do ....?!! :o and lastly i would never buy a tractor as i dont like 'Harley Davidsons'. I am a true Hayabusa boy. if you are not sure what that is then ask any biker !! Have a good eveing Mr Bothwell, cheers ;)

i shall "un-confuse" Mr Bothwe!! firstly i own a boat with a 'motor' not a 'sail' B) so i am motoring on water and not 'sailing', i have already seen a psychiatrist so i am more than happy to drive a Rav uphill backwards to launch without having to see another one !! :lol: if most Rav's dont swim does that mean that some do ....?!! :o and lastly i would never buy a tractor as i dont like 'Harley Davidsons'. I am a true Hayabusa boy. if you are not sure what that is then ask any biker !! Have a good eveing Mr Bothwell, cheers ;)

haha

living in Bournmouth with a motor boat ??? Whatever next... a horses head in bed?

Some RAVs have been known to have attempted swimming - see earlier posts last year - all broke down as petrol and water don't mix.

And glad to know thats theres more than just me employing psychos!

good luck with yer purchaise

Well, I got a 2008 Blue RAV 4.1 FreeSport with 52,000 miles with full service history (has sunroof - the 'moon' version) and of course the then standard diff lock - for just £1,995 last Dec. Absolutely no probs with it to date, goes like a rocket, but haven't pulled anything with it yet (maybe that's 'cos it hasn't got a towing hitch?) Hope this helps you to get the price down a bit - be a bit cheeky!

Please let us all know how you got on - and good luck!

Well, I got a 2008 Blue RAV 4.1 FreeSport with 52,000 miles with full service history (has sunroof - the 'moon' version) and of course the then standard diff lock - for just £1,995 last Dec. Absolutely no probs with it to date, goes like a rocket, but haven't pulled anything with it yet (maybe that's 'cos it hasn't got a towing hitch?) Hope this helps you to get the price down a bit - be a bit cheeky!

Please let us all know how you got on - and good luck!

dear ravintow

See these vikings frae Orkney - that must have been one helluva up-helly-aa that cascaded oer to Orkney!!

A 2008 RAV fur £1995 !!

I guess its maybe a 1998 that yuv re-registered as a 2008 in Independent Shetland. Even then its still a braw price!

Having looked around for quite a while now, the 2nd generation rav's were from 2000 - 2006 and it seems to be pretty rare to find a 3 door nrg for less than 4 grand but having found one at 3.5 grand, i thought it was a very good price, looking at it on sunday now will let u guys know how it goes, must admit getting a little excited. :D

Having looked around for quite a while now, the 2nd generation rav's were from 2000 - 2006 and it seems to be pretty rare to find a 3 door nrg for less than 4 grand but having found one at 3.5 grand, i thought it was a very good price, looking at it on sunday now will let u guys know how it goes, must admit getting a little excited. :D

Having launched 14ft Zodiac Inflatable with a variety 4x4s over the years the best advice I can offer is to make sure that you give the vehicle, INCLUDING THE UNDERSIDE, the best possible wash as soon as you can after getting it in sea-water. It's very, very corrosive and steel really doesn't like it. I'll probably get banished from the forum for suggesting this, but one of those car washes that do the underside of the car make quiet a good job of it.

Having launched 14ft Zodiac Inflatable with a variety 4x4s over the years the best advice I can offer is to make sure that you give the vehicle, INCLUDING THE UNDERSIDE, the best possible wash as soon as you can after getting it in sea-water. It's very, very corrosive and steel really doesn't like it. I'll probably get banished from the forum for suggesting this, but one of those car washes that do the underside of the car make quiet a good job of it.

Thanx 4 that 'three5', i always give my car a good old wash down, luckily the place i launch is more fresh than sea water as i enter on a river, if that makes sense but i always jet wash (carefully) down afterwards. cheers mate.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links