Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Conversion Complete - No Spark!

philwept_33

Hey guys, i will be honest i am not to up together with the Toyotas however im pretty good at anything mechanical.

Replaced my girlfriend's 2003 Yaris engine (1 litre) with what was supposed to be a straight swap after suspected oil pump or timing chain failure.

The engines were slightly different in that we had to swap over the inlet manifold, cam shaft sender, engine mount, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and rear knock sender.

I was told it was from a 2004 Yaris and would be a straight fit however after taking the engine out 3 times we finally got it all in place.

However there is no spark what so ever and im told that it is due to the crank shaft position sensor and its associated wheel at the base of the engine near the sump.

Anyone know of the differences between these engines and what I could look into doing to get a spark.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Hi

Sounds like you have the later 1.0ltr engine, I imagine the control system is different, they had to update it for emission control, either get the ucu and engine bay loom from a later one or change the engine for the right one... think I'd get the right engine, the later loom maybe totally different as well and not mate to the rest of the car....

Pete

The face lifted Yaris in 2003 had revised updated engines (as you have just found out). Can’t really help with this particular problem but as Haylands said, the ECU etc could be different as well.

Good luck.