Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

53 Yaris Ts Faselift Queeries

Ped_Ham

so, i bought a yaris TS a few months ago. its a really nice car, just a few questions to ask as i know nobody else with this car... first of all, when i start up and the engine is cold it will idle at about 2,000 rpm and slowly settle down to about 800-900 after a minute. is that normal?? i've just got used to it now...

and also does anybody else find that in the wet the backend will give out before the front. or you get a tad of understeer which quickly throughs the back end out for some oversteer to correct??? just wondering if its the rear tyres i have on...

any other input would be great thanks.

oh and everything is standard so far. cheers

x

first of all, when i start up and the engine is cold it will idle at about 2,000 rpm and slowly settle down to about 800-900 after a minute. is that normal?

Yes :thumbsup:

and also does anybody else find that in the wet the backend will give out before the front.

No! Slow down a bit or upgrade your tyres :thumbsup:

and also does anybody else find that in the wet the backend will give out before the front. or you get a tad of understeer which quickly throughs the back end out for some oversteer to correct??? just wondering if its the rear tyres i have on...

Ditto, no! It sounds like you're experiencing lift off oversteer so slow down on the bends. Also, are the rear tyres low on tread (especially compared to the front)? That won't help either.

but is there any real reason cause other moden cars don't need it so i don't really see the point haha. it just sounds like i've started up with my foot on the accelerater without noticing to take it off...

and anyone got any answers of a cheap way to give it more vroom?

but is there any real reason cause other moden cars don't need it so i don't really see the point haha. it just sounds like i've started up with my foot on the accelerater without noticing to take it off...

and anyone got any answers of a cheap way to give it more vroom?

In all fairness it doesn’t last long and soon warms up. It is possibly a characteristic of the VVT-i engine. You will also notice that when the ambient temperature is warmer, the revs are lower on start up :thumbsup:

i did notice that indeed. so im considering dropping the old girl. whats the lowest you can get a yaris? and also what good exhaust systems are there knocking about for more of a raspy sound... i love this sound from this video of the pre-facelift model but all the same...

Hi, the engine revving higher when cold is totally normal, as mentioned it's the auto chock doing it's job. My SR does this as does my Accord and both my motorbikes for a few minutes so don't worry. ;)

Also you mention about the rear "Stepping out" on wet roads. Again, my SR did this before i put 2new tyres on the back!!

Even as standard, the Yaris do handle very well so unless your tyres are worn, it could be something more serious, so before splashing out on new suspension it might be better to check the axle bushes, anti roll bar bushes ect.

This is something i need to do, replace all bushes and suspension as all mine are quite worn out now. :(

Slamming the car to the ground may make the handling worse, i did this on my mk3 Golf GTi and the ride was awfull, crashing and banging over every imperfection in the road, plus it made the whole car more "Jittery" and twitchy. :censor:

Good luck. :thumbsup:

first of all, when i start up and the engine is cold it will idle at about 2,000 rpm and slowly settle down to about 800-900 after a minute. is that normal?? i've just got used to it now...

As said it is normal, I was told it's to warm the cats up faster, (facelift models have 2 catalytic converters) by warming them up faster your cutting down the emissions of the car. My mums 2003 1.4 corolla did this, but it revved even higher on startup.

I had my car lowered on tein coilovers and toyo tyres, and didn't have a problem. But when I sold my car I took the coilovers off, when driving through the corners, you could feel the car a bit twitchy.

Change your rear tyres, if you ever plan on lowering either go for tein springs, or the tein coilovers, any other spring won't be stiff enough.

HTH

Yes my Tsport is exactly the same on start-up its completly normal. as for exhausts the Fujitsubo 'power getter', looks and sounds amazing!

so, i bought a yaris TS a few months ago. its a really nice car, just a few questions to ask as i know nobody else with this car... first of all, when i start up and the engine is cold it will idle at about 2,000 rpm and slowly settle down to about 800-900 after a minute. is that normal?? i've just got used to it now...

any other input would be great thanks.

oh and everything is standard so far. cheers

x

the reason revs so hard on start up is to warm engine up quickly most petrol toyotas are like that as for oversteer yes it will but adds level of fun to driving it :)

This is called engine flare to light off the catlayst, it's a trick the OEM's use to pass emissions test.

PS I work in engine calibration for a large OEM.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links