Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lindop Toyota Want Your 2009 Avensis Review

Parts-King

I've had my T4 Tourer CVT for a month now, just cleared the 2000 miles and I can't fault it. It's very smooth, quiet - I added the premium stereo which produces a great sound - the hard drive is a bonus no need to carry around loads of CD's. I'm averaging around 35 MPG mostly motorway driving. The CVT box is great and the sport button gives you a rapid boost of speed - if you want to play just flick it into manual and use the paddle shifts. The wife loves it, the kids love it so it's all good in my book.

That is nice to read as I have a little over 2 weeks until I pick up my own T4 Tourer with CVT also with the premium sound system:D

I have owned my T4 Tourer with the 2.0 diesel engine for a month now, having bought it with 2000 miles on from a dealer as an ex demo. It's got the protection pack and the satnav option, and I've done about 1000 miles in it.

I'm sorry to hear that others have had problems with their vehicles, but I'm pleased to report I have had none whatsoever up to now. It's averaging 46 mpg (my previous Prius averaged 52 over the same sort of driving) and has proved to be very comfortable. I agree that the switch for the electronic handbrake is a little awkwardly placed, but I'm used to it now and don't even think about it any more. As for looks - well, it's obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I think it's a stunning car, at least in Tourer form, an opinion shared by the many people who've commented on it.

A minor issue - the dealer told me the HDD on the stereo had a "USB port so you can synchronise your iPod" As far as I can tell, it's got a firewire port so you could copy music off a laptop - close, but no cigar :rolleyes:

I took delivery of a new 2.0 diesel T2 tourer 7 weeks ago, since then, I've done 5000 miles in it.

Good points:

Confortable, economical 54mpg average worked out on all the fuel I put in & the miles I have driven, carries a huge load and a flat load deck so easy to get heavy things in & out.

Bad points:

Inaccurate speedo and odometer, a regular run over the same route recorded 108 miles in my 2006 Avensis, my new Avensis records 110 miles for the same journey. When my speedo indicates 40mph, my tomtom shows 36mph, speedo 70mph tomtom 64mph, I've spoken to a main dealer about this who assured me that I have the correct speedo in the car and it is within +10% -0% tolerance.

Dislikes:

I still can't get used to the electric handbrake, would prefer a conventional lever type handbrake.

Starting, if you dont push the clutch pedal to the floor, it won't start, still catches me out occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to add. Took delivery of a 2.0 D4D TR Saloon a week ago and so far done 1200miles

Like -

Quiet and relaxed on the motorway

Good ride

Holds the road well

Good brakes

Feels solidly made so far no squeeks or rattles

Like the looks

Sat Nav works well and easy to use once you've figured it out

Clever folding sliding centre armrest and big storage area

Safety features

Dislike -

Seats are ok for short journys but uncomfortable and give me backache on anything much over 40mins

No Lateral support

Seatback doesnt have fine adjustment, the spacing betwean the notches is too great.

Sometimes when you just want to wind the seatback back a notch it jumps back several

No tilt adjustment for the seat

And yet it has power Lumbar support!?

Built in bluetooth carkit keeps disconnecting from the phone

**edit** It works perfectly with my old Ericsson, just my Nokia that has a problem

When it does work and you get a call it mutes the Sat-Nav, so to avoid missing a turn you have to pull over and stop to take the call, if you have to pull over and stop to take the call... whats the point of a carkit?

**edit** I have discovered that if you press the Map/Voice button while in a call you get the sat nav screen back. Doesnt bring back the voice guidence but it does give you visual guidence so thats all fine now.

Sat Nav can only store 106 POI's... slightly annoying when my previous sat nav device (a phone) has got 120 POI's

I've been driving carefully and am only getting around 513 miles from the 60litre tank, compared to 600miles from my old car with 110,000 on the clock and the same size tank and engine

**edit** I think the fuel guage an range estimation are a bit pessimistic, its a 60litre (13.1gal) tank, I'm doing 52mpg which if you do the math gives a range of 681miles. Further backed up at the pumps I apparently had 8miles range yesterday but it still only took 48litres to fill up so despite it saying I only had 8miles left there was a further 12litres (2.6gal) in the tank so I actually had 135miles left not 8

Climate control only seems to blow out of the front vents, everytime I select a different vent it switchs off, then reverts to the front vents when I switch it on again. maybe just because I havent figured it out yet?

Faults

ABS warning light came on and check VSC message displayed, switched engine off and restarted and it was fine, hasnt done it since.

Drivers door difficult to open sometimes from the inside, the handle doesnt do anything first pull and then the second time you pull it it's stiff, theres a crunching sound and it opens.

General Comments

Saloon not that practical and Estate too expensive and too big, and uneccesary. I understand only 15% of Avensis sales were a hatch so it's been deleted but I'd prefer one and so would everybody else I've spoken to.

Handling's ok for a big car, perfectly acceptable but not as good as some others. not much feedback from the wheel.

Just speaking as I find.

Dont get me wrong I do like it though :) just wish at least some of the things I dislike could be sorted.

Right.... my initial thoughts of my T4 Tourer Auto :)

Likes....

The exterior styling.... I think it rivals the tourers coming out of Volvo, Audi and Ford among others :yes:

The interior is smart and everything is easy to reach

The leather is of high quality and stylish but heck the light stone colour will be tough to look after

The audio/sat nav system is stunning.... what other cars at this price give as much? Storage for up to 2000 tracks on the HDD.... WOW.... did I really read that right :eek:

The seats are great.... comfortable with good electrical adjustment and that useful memory function in conjunction with the steering wheel

The auto box is seamless with effortless power delivery and when in manual mode gives 7 gear ratios

The rear storage area is nice and large giving even me enough space with a good area left clear

The steering and brakes are precise and powerful.... I like that

The suspension is just ideal.... for me at least

Dislikes....

The position of the parking brake lever.... its electrical so it could be a button on the dashboard.... but I guess I will get used to it :huh:

The speed operated locking for the rear doors.... I hated it so I turned it off

My friends like the car and say it is big but it does not feel big to me :huh: But I guess coming from a Land Cruiser I guess it would not.

Well thats about it for now :D

• 4 weeks later...

I dug up this thread to update Parts King on my progress with my car :)

I have had the car for a month now and I can confirm my earlier observations on it :yes:

Frankly, apart from the daft location of the parking brake, I like everything about the car :) I have give Mr T my feedback on this issue and I wonder if the location will be changed whenever the Avensis is given a facelift in 2 or 3 years time.... only time will tell :huh:

Everyone that has been in my car is impressed with it from the styling to the comfort (yes I do mean the seats ;) ) to the sound system to the overall build quality and if they ask the price they are impressed with that too :yes:

All in all I am pleased with the car.... I hope I can still say the same in 12 months time :D

• 2 months later...

Likes....

The exterior styling.... I think it rivals the tourers coming out of Volvo, Audi and Ford among others :yes:

The leather is of high quality and stylish but heck the light stone colour will be tough to look after

The audio/sat nav system is stunning.... what other cars at this price give as much? Storage for up to 2000 tracks on the HDD.... WOW.... did I really read that right :eek:

The seats are great.... comfortable with good electrical adjustment and that useful memory function in conjunction with the steering wheel

The auto box is seamless with effortless power delivery and when in manual mode gives 7 gear ratios

The rear storage area is nice and large giving even me enough space with a good area left clear

Dislikes....

The position of the parking brake lever.... its electrical so it could be a button on the dashboard.... but I guess I will get used to it :huh:

My friends like the car and say it is big but it does not feel big to me :huh: But I guess coming from a Land Cruiser I guess it would not.

Hello.

I have received my new Avensis T27 180, and my doors lock when i pass 20 km/h. How do you turn it off? Tried what the manual said, doesn't work. Help please?

Regards, Geir.

Likes....

Dislikes....

Hello.

I have received my new Avensis T27 180, and my doors lock when i pass 20 km/h. How do you turn it off? Tried what the manual said, doesn't work. Help please?

Regards, Geir.

Going back to dealer to turn it off, now it's OK.

I like the car very much, but it has some things i don't like. Don't have full control over the iPod, can't choose artist/genre and so on, thats very annoying.

Should have been quicker, but i guess i have to run it in for some time, 177 hp diesel.

The handbrake position is no problem, just have to get used to it, and I already have after a couple of days. When I stop the car and put the handbrake on, the two switches are in reach of each other, genius!

Likes....

Dislikes....

Hello.

Regards, Geir.

Going back to dealer to turn it off, now it's OK.

I like the car very much, but it has some things i don't like. Don't have full control over the iPod, can't choose artist/genre and so on, thats very annoying.

Should have been quicker, but i guess i have to run it in for some time, 177 hp diesel.

The handbrake position is no problem, just have to get used to it, and I already have after a couple of days. When I stop the car and put the handbrake on, the two switches are in reach of each other, genius!

Mine didnt start loosening up until around 11,000 miles it is a bit more lively now compared to when I had it.

Chip it and get over 200 bhp :yes: PM me for details

Kingo :thumbsup:

The chips exist for the diesel but what about the petrol version.... how could I get more power :unsure:

I will chip it, and have sent you PM.

I am very pleased with my new car, really excellent. Not pleased with the iPod adapter, but will see what I can do about that...

• 8 months later...

Lindop Toyota like to get honest opinions from customers on what they think of their cars

Do you own a new iQ or 2009 Avensis?

We want to hear from you, PM me with how it feels, what you like about it, how it feels for you (easy!) :lol:

We dont want chapter and verse, but a few lines would be fine, or if you are adventurous, record your review in mp3 format and mail it to me (email address can be given in a PM)

Your review will appear on LINDOP TOYOTA

Thanks

I have a 2009 Avensis TR D4D 2 litre owned for 7 Months

Its a lovely car but!

I'm afraid I don't like the handbrake at all, what a stupid place to put the button I still have to look to find it. Also it doesn't come off quickly enough when you pull away, I get a ***** every time unless I double dip the clutch and risk rolling back.

Hill starts with the diesel are not wonderful 1st gear is just too high the engine bogs down if you try to pull at low revs, slipping the clutch helps but is not ideal. My previous car was a petrol which pulled easily at very low revs and was much more flexible. This is my first diesel and probably my last, perhaps Toyota just don't make a good diesel engine.

I'm afraid these two negative elements completely outweigh an otherwise excellent car.

I have a 2009 Avensis TR D4D 2 litre owned for 7 Months

Its a lovely car but!

I'm afraid I don't like the handbrake at all, what a stupid place to put the button I still have to look to find it. Also it doesn't come off quickly enough when you pull away, I get a ***** every time unless I double dip the clutch and risk rolling back.

Hill starts with the diesel are not wonderful 1st gear is just too high the engine bogs down if you try to pull at low revs, slipping the clutch helps but is not ideal. My previous car was a petrol which pulled easily at very low revs and was much more flexible. This is my first diesel and probably my last, perhaps Toyota just don't make a good diesel engine.

I'm afraid these two negative elements completely outweigh an otherwise excellent car.

Try the new Verso. It has the same Diesel -engine but it seems to be more refined. It works beautifully. It's quiet and it pulls straight on from the low revs.

I'm also a bit ****** about this engine. As time has gone by it's getting more and more annoying. It's unacceptable that they couldn't get this engine to work properly on their upper-class car, when they have it working great on their middle-class car.

And I have the engine chipped. It helped but mainly on the normal working range anyway. Also the ticking sound of the diesel engine when under load is not nice. Again this couldn't be heard in the Verso.

And to Geir. Read the manual for the IPod integration. The default state for the IPod is playlist. You need to press the Random play button for a while to change the mode to album/artist.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links