Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Buying Yaris-views Please?

dooper

Hi all,

I am a car owner and own an 1800 cc Golf which is years old. I only have a car for convenience and leisure and my annual mileage last year was only 2000 miles mot to mot.

I dont really need to run a bigger car and im not a speed freak. I'm quite happy to plod at 60-70 on motorways.

I've been looking at smaller cars but would a yaris 1.0 vvt suit me?

I'm not bothered about around town driving,its more the motorway driving that concerns me. Can the 1.0 engine do it or is it screaming blue murder at 70? I guess the longest trip i might make on a leisure trip would be 200 miles max.

Thanks for any feedback. 1300 yaris seem a little rarer,what about the diesel? I dont want a diesel turbo as its just another expensive bit to go wrong?

How are toyota on corrosion? Presumably reliability cannot be questioned !!

I have a 2003 diesel. Earlier ones had Head gasket issues - quickly solved. I have seen them with 100k and still running perfectly.

2800rpm at 70: wind noise at 75..

Corrosion? Galvanised... Mine is rust free - even the bonnet stone chips.

Hi all,

I am a car owner and own an 1800 cc Golf which is years old. I only have a car for convenience and leisure and my annual mileage last year was only 2000 miles mot to mot.

I dont really need to run a bigger car and im not a speed freak. I'm quite happy to plod at 60-70 on motorways.

I'm not bothered about around town driving,its more the motorway driving that concerns me. Can the 1.0 engine do it or is it screaming blue murder at 70? I guess the longest trip i might make on a leisure trip would be 200 miles max.

Thanks for any feedback. 1300 yaris seem a little rarer,what about the diesel? I dont want a diesel turbo as its just another expensive bit to go wrong?

i had a 1.0vvt yaris, cruise all day at 80mph. might slow down abit uphill, test drove a 1.3 definatly alot quicker. Remember i think the newer yaris has 3 clyinder 1.0, not to sure about 1.3?, my yaris was a 2002 model, kept for 6 years, only problem was a new starter motor

I also have a lot of experience with the 1.0 vvti it has bags of pull power in the high rev range for its size.

Alot of people on here will tell you to steer clear and get a T Sport but it's what you want at the end of the day!

I've owned two 1.3 Yaris' and now have a 1.0 Aygo. I realise you want a 1.0 Yaris but let me tell you my experiences, hopefully it'll help with your decision....

The Aygo has the same 3 cylinder 1.0 engine that's in the new shape 1.0 Yaris and it's a great little engine, very economical. I do a fair amount of town traffic and also motorway and the Aygo is more than capable on the motorway and sits at 70 comfortably and without strain - engine noise is a bit of an issue but then it was with the Yaris too.

Like you, I "downsized", albeit not by a great deal but I can't see you having many issues with a 1.0 Yaris, although from personal experience I would recommend a 1.3 - bear in mind the Yaris is slightly bigger and heavier than the Aygo and personally I found the 1.0 Yaris I borrowed to lag ever so slightly.

I'd recommend an Aygo wholeheartedly, but you'll find they are more expensive taking into account they've only been out 3 years or so and they hold their value very well, but you have the added benefits of max 61mpg and £35 a year road tax (which I believe is coming down to £20 this year) :yes:

My current Yaris has the 3 cylinder 1.0 engine and it is a more than capable engine.

The engine produces a distinctive roarty exhaust note which I personally find adds to the charm of the Yaris.

My passengers are often quite amazed when they discover that my Yaris only has a 3 cylinder 1.0 engine under the bonnet.

Presumably reliability cannot be questioned !!

Not true! Toyota's reputation for reliability is fast going down the pan. Have a read through the Aygo and Auris threads and weep. If you want 'legendary toyota reliability' then buy an old Hilux or Carina.

had a 1.0 for 6 years. no issues at all on motorways can do 70-80 with no problems. i now own a 1.3 as the only issues was with pulling away at junctions and if u are going uphill with passengers. i wanted abit more umph.

Out of curiosity, are you looking more for a New-style Yaris or Old Yaris?

Supposedly the old one is better if you're looking for a 1.0L, as the new one is heavier and isn't as nice to drive.

Personally, I dislike the 1.0 Yaris' 'tho - You have to rev the nuts off them to get any power and that can't be good for the engine long-term, not to mention fuel :unsure:

The Aygo is a much better fit for the 1.0 engine and has almost as much space as the old-style Yaris! You do loose the higher driving position of the Yaris in an Aygo, but you probably won't miss that coming from a Golf.

Either way, for mainly town driving the 1.0 is the best engine as it's more suited to that role and is probably cheaper to run than the diesel!

For motorway driving, the 1.3 petrol and 1.4 diesel are much nicer to drive (IMHO), whether on the new-style or the old-style. I didn't do any serious town-testing when I was test-driving the 1.3, but I think it would be better than the diesel, albeit not by much; The diesel is a really nice drive! Feels almost as smooth as a petrol (except when you're idling, where it sounds like a diesel :P), and on the motorway it's great; 60-70mph is right in the max-torque range of the engine and the turbo is spinning nicely by that speed so if you want to overtake, you get instant response from the accelerator and gobs of power :D

Problem is the old-style diesels are rare (Esp. the 5-door!), and either very expensive or have huge mileage. :(

The 1.3 petrol is fairly easy to get hold of; Not as easy as the 1.0, but still very popular and you'll have a wide selection of trims and versions. (T3, CDX or T-Spirit ftw! :))

The new-style Yarises (Yaris'? Yarii?) are easier to get, and thanks to the credit crunch you can get cars that are a few years old, for a few years old price, but the car will be basically new :)

Hi all,

The 1.0 is only a town car which can handle occasional motoway trips. Getter a bigger engine one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links