Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Abs Warning Light Coming On Intermittently

aloka

Hi

I was hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on why the ABS warning light is coming on intermittently, on my '53 reg 1300cc Yaris? The warning light comes on & stays on for the first few journies of the day but doesn't tend to come on for latter journies.

It's the first problem I've had in 5+yrs but frustrating as it coincides with having two new front tyres fitted. Straight after the tyres were fitted, the steering wheel dipped to the left when driving in a straight line. The national tyre retailer who fitted the tyres, tried 3 times to re-align the tracking but still could not get the steering wheel straight. On the next journey after them adjusting the tracking, the ABS warning light came on. I don't know if the work on the tracking could have caused or contributed to the ABS problem, or if it was total coincidence but not wanting to risk any further complications, I took it to a Toyota dealership who sorted the tracking straight away and while the ABS light was on, found that the NSF ABS speed sensor was faulty.

Does an intermittent warning light tally with the sensor needing replacing or could it be a lose connection instead?

Your advice would be much appreciated before I go ahead with the repair.

Did the tracking need realigning? Were your old tyres worn on any particular side or worn evenly?

It sounds like something has been damaged during the tyre replacement/tracking debacle as it’s the near side front sensor which coincides with your car pulling to the left after your tyres were changed.

If the sensor is faulty then I see no way around it and it will need replacing.

Hi

Some sensors are just a push fit into the front hub, take the wheel off and have a look you will see a wire going into the front hub behind the disc brake, have a look at the bit the wire goes to, does it have a clean line around it, or show other signs of being disturbed, if yes then give it a good push inwards and see if that helps.... Note my Yaris doesn't have abs so it may not have a sensor like this.....

Pete

Did the tracking need realigning? Were your old tyres worn on any particular side or worn evenly?

It sounds like something has been damaged during the tyre replacement/tracking debacle as it’s the near side front sensor which coincides with your car pulling to the left after your tyres were changed.

If the sensor is faulty then I see no way around it and it will need replacing.

Thanks for the reply. Prior to having the new tyres fitted, the car didn't seem to pull across the road but the tyres were checked at the last service & prior to the new ones being fitted. On both occasions the tread on the inner & outer of both front NSF and OSF were 1mm below the reading in the middle. Both rear tyres gave even readings across the tyre.

On both occasions the tread on the inner & outer of both front NSF and OSF were 1mm below the reading in the middle.

This would indicate that they were under inflated. The tracking OK to start with until a grease monkey got hold of your car :angry:

tireinflation.jpg

On both occasions the tread on the inner & outer of both front NSF and OSF were 1mm below the reading in the middle.

This would indicate that they were under inflated. The tracking OK to start with until a grease monkey got hold of your car :angry:

tireinflation.jpg

Hi,

ya would agree with you Tvor, the tracking should not have been moved as this wear pattern comfirms the tyres were running spot on .The car pulling could be down to the new tyres you do not say what make they are,try swapping them around left to right visa versa ,if the car did not pull before your tyre change it must be tyres. The abs must have got damaged when they were working on the car maybe when the car was raised the drop of the wheel pulled on the cable or someone gave it a tug by accident .

Got to have been a bit of a muppet to do any sort of damage to ABS when just fitting tyres! Remind me not to use them! ha ha!

Got to have been a bit of a muppet to do any sort of damage to ABS when just fitting tyres! Remind me not to use them! ha ha!

Fault free with 5 years worth of use, 3 attempts to re-align the tracking that wasn’t even out, and now a damaged ABS sensor so yeah... a 1st prize Muppet...(With a spanner)

kermit.jpg

Some sensors are just a push fit into the front hub, take the wheel off and have a look you will see a wire going into the front hub behind the disc brake, .....

Thanks for that. I'll try checking the abs wire where it enters the sensor. Just nervous of throwing out the tracking by taking the wheel off. (After the hassle the simple job of fitting new tyres has caused, I'm scared that even a gentle breeze might damage the steering!!!)

[/quote}

The car pulling could be down to the new tyres you do not say what make they are,try swapping them around left to right visa versa ,

Thanks for the reply. The tyres are Goodyear GT's. I'll bear in mind swapping them if the car starts to pull again but for now, Toyota seemed to have sorted the tracking. Jury's still out on the ABS warning light though.

Fault free with 5 years worth of use, 3 attempts to re-align the tracking that wasn’t even out, and now a damaged ABS sensor so yeah... a 1st prize Muppet...(With a spanner)

T V O R & PhilGee, I couldn't agree more!!

aloka - The first problem you experienced is more common than you'd think and not the fault of the tyre fitter - it's the bl00dy Yaris! My car always tracked straight and true with the steering wheel pointing dead ahead. Then I had 2 new tyres fitted on the front and again, the vehicle tracks staright and true but the steering wheel is slightly off centre. This has happenned from new, every time I have had the front tyres replaced. So following a tyre change I've had to have the tracking adjusted.

TVOR - I share your lack of faith in 'grease monkeys' but on the last occasion I watched the tyres being replaced and nothing was done that would cause the tracking to be out of alignment. I've searched the forum and there are other threads describing the same Yaris problem with the steering wheel after having the front tyres replaced. I've got through many sets of tyres on other cars, using the same tyre fitters and never had a problem like this.

If there is no un-even wear on the tyres or any pulling left or right, why would the tracking need to be re-aligned after a tyre change?

The wear on these particular tyres is probably due to being under inflated. If no kerbing or pot hole incidents have occurred, the tracking should still be true?

The first problem you experienced is more common than you'd think and not the fault of the tyre fitter - it's the bl00dy Yaris!

Chris81 : You might be right as it's the first tyres I've had fitted on the Yaris so it might be the fault of the car.

I'm still surprised though that the tyre retailer couldn't get the steering wheel straight given 3 attempts at it, whereas the Toyota dealer did it perfectly in one try.

Still happy to hear from anyone who's had Yaris ABS problems...

If there is no un-even wear on the tyres or any pulling left or right, why would the tracking need to be re-aligned after a tyre change?

Thats the million dollar question! I asked cfc1 on here - our resident tyre expert - and he says its quite common for cars to need re-tracking after having had new front tyres fitted.

I had slight shoulder wear on the outside of my nearside front tyrebut as we turn right more than we turn left in this country (e.g. roundabouts) this is normal. As I say, when let go of the steering wheel the car always tracked straight and true before the tyres were changed, and it tracked straight and true after the tyres were changed, but the steering wheel was slightly off centre. Maybe the yaris is super sensitive to different tyres. It's a mystery to me.

If the tyres are being worn evenly and there is no structural or mechanical damage from kerbs pot holes and the suspension is in good order, I don’t quite get why the tracking has to be tinkered with after fitting new tyres. If the wheel is straight it’s straight surely?

I had the 4 wheel alignment done on my Yaris, went in for 2 new rear tyres and asked the guy why the steering wheel was angled down to the left (it was like this when we bought it)

When they did the tracking, the fronts were a mile out, so i payed extra to have it all lined up. Now it's dead straight and doesn't wander into the kerb all the time.

Got it all lined up and tracked at National tyres and exhaust's. First rate job and would reccomend them. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
If the tyres are being worn evenly and there is no structural or mechanical damage from kerbs pot holes and the suspension is in good order, I don’t quite get why the tracking has to be tinkered with after fitting new tyres. If the wheel is straight it’s straight surely?

I used to think this myself too, not always the case though. I have fitted tyres to cars and after having the brand new tyres fitted the steering wheel is sometimes a little off centre. I have been told before that when tyres are made/moulded they are done so lying flat so the lower part of the tyre can be a little thicker than the rest. So with this using 2 tyres that are like this can upset the toe/tracking by a small amount.

Im sure there are better explanations of it out there though lol

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links