Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braking Noise

Space Monkey

Morning

Ive been finding that my rear wheels make a shhhhhhhhh noise when i apply the brakes.

Looking at the disks they arent shiny and nice like the fronts but a little rusty. My handbrake works fine but the noise does my head in to the point where im trying to avoid braking.

Got it in for a service on tuesday and gonna give suggestions to my mechanic.

My mate owned an MR2 and he thinks the calipers may be stuck (apparently its common on these cars?)

Anyone know if this sounds serious?

Morning

Ive been finding that my rear wheels make a shhhhhhhhh noise when i apply the brakes.

Looking at the disks they arent shiny and nice like the fronts but a little rusty. My handbrake works fine but the noise does my head in to the point where im trying to avoid braking.

My mate owned an MR2 and he thinks the calipers may be stuck (apparently its common on these cars?)

Sounds like you need new pads. Maybe new pads and discs.

Could just be the rust build up making your brakes sound a little harsh. If its a caliper sticking you'd find that the wheel would be quite hot. If you're taking it into the garage next week, jst mention to them and get them to pay particular attention to it.

Hope its nowt too expensive mate.

Morning

handbrake shoes on the gen 6 are totally separate from the brake caliper they are inside the disc itself. also the rear pads are very narrow hence the not too much shiney part of the disc. try cleaning off the rusty ring as mentioned , maybe even rough up the pads surface , if they look shiney and hard its possible they have been baked and new ones fitted would certainly help . they dont cost that much .

turns out the rear brakes were seized open!

need new disks but theyre ok till the MOT in december. just dont look too good.

will fail MOT on account of them being classed as pitted but for the time being its cosmetic.

front caliper was sticking causing the brakes to heat up. freed up but if it repeats im looking at new caliper, how much are they??

also need 4 new tyres as the tyre walls are knackered due to it sitting at garage for so long! buying 18's for it anyways so just watching the speed in the meantime

turns out the rear brakes were seized open!

need new disks but theyre ok till the MOT in december. just dont look too good.

will fail MOT on account of them being classed as pitted but for the time being its cosmetic.

front caliper was sticking causing the brakes to heat up. freed up but if it repeats im looking at new caliper, how much are they??

also need 4 new tyres as the tyre walls are knackered due to it sitting at garage for so long! buying 18's for it anyways so just watching the speed in the meantime

You may find 18" rims give you a very harsh ride, mine has 17" ones and with the lowered TTE springs can be quite "firm" on bumpy road surfaces.

Ta

i plan on ditching the plans to lower it.

heard the shocks get all shot to **** and it ruins the ride.

bigger rims are all im planning, the 15's get lost in there. you could fit a family of gypsies in my arches!

if you keep the caliper slides well greased up , the calipers should be ok .

recon calipers from brakesint for fronts are 1 piston £60 , 2 pistons £70

rears are £78 - prices include a £25 return which you get back upon receipt of your old caliper , which they collect using ups.

you can buy a front caliper service kit at £27 , inc new piston

or £34 inc piston for rears .

why eye man cheap as chips.

cheers mate, will keep an eye on it.

wonder if the grooved disks will do the job and disipate the heat lol

£60 a caliper isnt too bank busting so worst comes to worst i'll just replace it