32 replies to this topic

#1 WallRiver

WallRiver

• Registered Member
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

Hello fellow Toyota owners!

I was wondering if you have had an epidemic with the cylinder heads in 2005-2006 model 2.2 d-4d 150hp engines? Because here in Finland we seem to have one, especially with the cars used as Taxi's.

My own Avensis is an old taxi (driven 236tkm ~148mi.), year model 2006, and the cylinder head is done! As I have discussed this issue it became evident that this has been the case with very many same engines. E.g. in my home town all the three Taxi's has been repaired under warranty (three out of three!). The problem is that my car is driven more than 100tkm which is the warranty limit but it seems like this is not affected by the normal warranty as it seems to be a manufacturer fault (apparently it's a casting fault in the cylinder head??).

Let me know if you have found this same problem in UK.

Thanks!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 s m smith

s m smith

s m smith

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • First Name:simon
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Rav 4
  • Year: 2011

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:35 PM

I was wondering if you have had an epidemic with the cylinder heads in 2005-2006 model 2.2 d-4d 150hp engines? Because here in Finland we seem to have one, especially with the cars used as Taxi's.

My own Avensis is an old taxi (driven 236tkm ~148mi.), year model 2006, and the cylinder head is done! As I have discussed this issue it became evident that this has been the case with very many same engines. E.g. in my home town all the three Taxi's has been repaired under warranty (three out of three!). The problem is that my car is driven more than 100tkm which is the warranty limit but it seems like this is not affected by the normal warranty as it seems to be a manufacturer fault (apparently it's a casting fault in the cylinder head??).

Thanks!

no problems reported over here, what exactly is youre milage, sorry dont really understand youre post???????

#3 moonstone mart

moonstone mart

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Toyota Model: sapphire cosworth (work at toyota)

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Yes there have been problems with the headgaskets failing, losing coolant and overheating.

Have repaired a few at our place - sometimes requiring brand new cylinder head as they cant be skimmed.

Mart.

#4 irishjay

irishjay

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Toyota Model: avensis d4d 2.2 t3x

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

my 2.2 toyota avensises gasket went at 48k !!!!!!!!!!!! s s smith has stated no problems!!! lol TOYOTA UK rang my local dealers after they said my coolant loss was normal and told them to do head gasket test as it was a common failure in the 2.2 d4d ,, thry done test and head had gone ,, needed replaced under warranty ,, examine the threads and you will find countless posts about head gasket failures

#5 WallRiver

WallRiver

• Registered Member
  • 2 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Thanks!

no problems reported over here, what exactly is youre milage, sorry dont really understand youre post???????

The mileage is 236000km or ~148000 miles. Thank you everybody for the answers, seems like this is indeed a manufacturer fault which should be repaired eventhough the warranty has been expired.

I will take my car to local service tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.

#6 moonstone mart

moonstone mart

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Toyota Model: sapphire cosworth (work at toyota)

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:07 PM

Thanks!

The mileage is 236000km or ~148000 miles. Thank you everybody for the answers, seems like this is indeed a manufacturer fault which should be repaired eventhough the warranty has been expired.

I will take my car to local service tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.

Honestly dont think you will get it done for free, apart from the fact the car has done way over the 60000 warranty mileage the fault isnt mega common so i dont see Toyota paying anything towards it. Let us know how you get on though.

Mart.

#7 irishjay

irishjay

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:07 AM

oh the fault is very very mega common and thats by TOYOTA UK OWN ADMISSION , but if your car is over the 60000m/100000k warranty , then you have no chance of getting any financial assistance by toyota.

#8 Parts-King

Parts-King

AUTHORISED TOC TRADER

• Authorised Trader
  • 10,162 posts
  • First Name:Kingo
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.6 Valvematic Sport 5 Dr
  • Year: 2013

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

Sorry but it is NOT a massive problem

To be precise, I have NO sales history for a 2.2 cylinder head and only 2 head gaskets in 12 months

At 148K I cant see Toyota paying for a new head

Kingo :thumbsup:

#9 irishjay

irishjay

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

we both have just stated where we live it is a massive problem zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#10 s m smith

s m smith

s m smith

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • First Name:simon
  • Toyota Model: Rav 4
  • Year: 2011

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

we both have just stated where we live it is a massive problem zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

must only be a problem in Finland and Ireland then?????????

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users