Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can You Just Get A Bt Phone Line These Days?

Demonic Angel

Looking at options for my flat for pricing stuff up and obviously will need a phone line of some description for my broadband

Looked firstly at incoming lines only, but obviously you can't have broadband on an incoming line so that's a no go, but really I don't want the line for calls, just broadband and maybe incoming calls. External calls I can use my mobile for (I have 500 inclusive minutes a month)

Now looking on the BT website, which is a pile of poo to navigate around as it is, you get lines with "deals" as in free calls at x time etc. But I just want a line for my broadband, I don't want a "package".

I get a really good broadband deal (£7.50 a month) but I require a BT line for it. Do BT do "just lines" and if not, can you get a BT line from another company and just get a line?

think that you will have to get the "Unlimited Weekend Plan" @£10.27 pm

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/cons...o?topicId=25497

I generally recommend to people to keep the line rental with BT because at most you only save something like 50p per month but it can cause problems changing back/to another provider at a later date if you have transferred it from BT.

How about just getting a dongle for your internet usage...there for not needing a land line to connect to the interweb.

Mine is with T-Mobile, plug and play £14 pcm. Unlimited downloads etc.

Connection is fast and 9/10 times always there... and I am very happy with their service.

i have bt line only, took me over a month to get it sorted tho. now their taking the pee with the payments. due another phone call to them to moan.

i wanted bt line so i could get sky package, tv/net/phone. i love sky! plus their customer service is awesome. bt however, are pants!

I was with BT for all of a month before i had everything transferred to Sky!!

£10/month Line Rental (currently free for 3 months, although they gave me 6 months half price rental :wacko: ) and evening and weekend calls are free.

Plus i get free broadband for being a Sky customer! :D

Do you have cable in your area ?

How about just getting a dongle for your internet usage...there for not needing a land line to connect to the interweb.

Mine is with T-Mobile, plug and play £14 pcm. Unlimited downloads etc.

Connection is fast and 9/10 times always there... and I am very happy with their service.

Good thinking Catwoman!

Only issue there is I have 2 computers (a desktop and a laptop) so would have to switch dongles between the machines...

But definitely worth considering.... O2 is also £14 a month it looks like so no phone line required and only £7 more than I'm currently paying for broadband. And I suppose then I don't have to faff around with getting a line installed and paying for installation etc....

Dave - I probably will be in a cable area yes but depends where my flat is (not got one yet, just doing figures for it!)

When we got cable in our area, I couldn't wait to dump BT. They had the monopoly for years, and all the poor

customer services to go with it. Their charges are a disgrace especially if you develop a fault. I've never had

any problems with cable. For many people it looks like the days of having an obligatory land line are numbered.

Who needs it :rolleyes:

I use Telewest Business (domestic is Virgin) Cable for the broadband on a guaranteed 20mb download and 712 upload. The domestic is now offering up to 50mb but its shared with others so can be slow at peak periods.

Had tried Bulldog before which was an utter nightmare - to be avoided at any cost!!!

There is a BT line to our place which was used for the bulldog service but when a fault arose, no-one would take responsibility to fix it.

Mobile connections are now getting faster so they become an option and I'm sure theres a way to use a hub for more than 1 computer.