Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Performance Chip

lloydp

I've just seen the following on eBay:

Link

Has anyone installed one of these or similar - I'd be very interested in comments - looks too good to be true!

How much do they add to your insurance premium and are they even a recognised mod by the insurance companies?

Careful - you'll need to be aware of the G forces that may result :lol:

The :king: is your man. PM me for details

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've just seen the following on eBay:

Link

Has anyone installed one of these or similar - I'd be very interested in comments - looks too good to be true!

How much do they add to your insurance premium and are they even a recognised mod by the insurance companies?

I have one on my 4.3 (2.2 d4d) supplied + fitted by Lindop, contact parts king, and it does what it says, if you do a search there are quite a few posts about their merits on here,

Yes they are recognised by insurance companies + depending on the company can cost about £80 per annum extra, I have been quoted £278 for insurance including my chip, this however is with clean lic + max ncb + 6000 mpa...Hope this helps.. There are lots of cheap chips on E-bay personally i would avoid them.. :thumbsup:

Ref the insurance, I have a number of mods on my RAV4, including a "Performance Exhaust" and the extra amount on my policy was just £13 a year. The impact on insurance costs for a could well be more, but reckon it will be reasonable.

As far as the performance chip goes on Local Heroes RAV4, I am mega impressed with the performance of it, having so far done over 300 miles of 'enthusiastic' driving and not ever been lacking for power when needed and the economy still reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, I've just fitted the chip from PartsKing (Lindop) and have to report a big grin on my face! VERY noticeable increase in power (on the 'max' setting). Will have to keep eye on mpg. Insurance cost me an extra £61, covering a power increase from 11-20%. They didn't understand 'performance chip' and I had to explain it as an ECU upgrade.

Only downside was a lack of a pictorial fitting guide, but once I'd found the turbo boost electrical feed it was a piece of cake.

OK, sorted out with PartsKing, stout fellow!

You have seen my photo? :lol:

Will have to keep eye on mpg

Let me know how you get on with that, I usually tell people to knock it back a setting to get best performance/MPG balance

Kingo :thumbsup:

For anyone interested, I've just fitted the chip from PartsKing (Lindop) and have to report a big grin on my face! VERY noticeable increase in power (on the 'max' setting). Will have to keep eye on mpg. Insurance cost me an extra £61, covering a power increase from 11-20%. They didn't understand 'performance chip' and I had to explain it as an ECU upgrade.

Only downside was a lack of a pictorial fitting guide, but once I'd found the turbo boost electrical feed it was a piece of cake.

Hi lloyd, glad you like your "chip" had mine on my 4.3 about 18mths now + so far no probs don't know what setting mines on as lindop fitted it! I do sometimes get a bit of xtra smoke but only if I'm really gunning it, other than that well worthwhile + surprises a lot of other cars.. I think for the first couple of weeks you will use the extra performance + your consumption may go up a bit, but once you get that out of your system you find with the additional torque you can potter about in a higher gear + your mpg will improve.. good luck with it.. :thumbsup:

The chip 'box' has an extra wire that can be switched to ground to switch off the unit. I'd like to put a switch on the central console in front of the gear change, but I can't for the life of me see how to get the wire throught the bulkhead! Any pointers anyone please?

Drop the glovebox down as shown in the cabin filter instructions and you will see a rubber grommet. There is another one on the drivers side just near the pivot for the accelerator pedal. If you pierce either one it comes out into the well under the windscreen put it will push out the side OK. Just be sure not to get hooked up on the wiper linkage.

Great, thanks so much, will have a go tomorrow.

My last 1/4 tankful of diesel disappeared very quickly, so I've notched back the chip to Kingo's recommended setting...