Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Fuel Gauge Vs Scangauge

Cyker

It seems even my D4D is subject to the iffy fuel readings; It drove to work on 2 bars, then when I left the office to go to the next site it was down to one bar and blinking! Dropped a quick fiver's worth in (FYI, The Shell in Crouch End, Haringey is still selling diesel for 97.9! :D), and when I set off again the tank was at 4-blocks (i.e. half-full) again!

That's a pretty bad margin of error, going from near-empty to half-full on ~5L of fuel given that the tank is ~40L!

I've been searching posts here, and it seems like this is a common problem as the tank gets below half, but I was wondering - Those of you who have ScanGauges and Yaris'; How does the accuracy compare?

I'm thinking it might be worth getting one if the fuel gauge is this inaccurate... (Plus I'd have an mpg reading, which annoyingly the petrol ones have but not the diesel! :))

Hi cyker. I have both a scangauge and a d4d yaris. I haven't checked the difference between the cars display and the scangauge for remaining fuel. I have noticed however that when i turn off the car and turn it on a few mins later the fuel level often rises one bar. It never stays long on that bar though, and it drops back within 10 miles or so. I also noticed that it takes much more mileage to drop to "half full" but thereafter it flies down. I guess the fuel level display is not linear so we just have to learn its quirks. I haven't run out of fuel nor will i (hopefully) ever but i feel ok going down to the blinking bar of doom all the same. I found out it actually blinks faster near the end! I put in 43 litres that time and the tank is 45 so it was close!

Re: the petrol model mpg display. I asked around about that but got nothing. It is odd that it's not on the diesel model. Most people that buy a diesel yaris have mpg in mind. In any case, i love my scangauge!

ollie

Thanks for the info mate :)

I sorta freaked when I saw it on one bar and blinking (All these horror stories on why you should never let a diesel engine run out of fuel!) but it's good to know that there is some extra leeway on the gauge!

BTW, where did you get your Scanguage and for how much?

My Sr does this aswell.

Annoys me no end when the wife says "Oh, there's loads of petrol in it, 2bars left"

Then i get in it and it's flashing on one!! :angry:

So i nip to the shops about 2miles away and when i start it to come home, the !Removed! thing has gone back up to 2 bars!! :unsure:

Guess it's just a Yaris thing. :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links