Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2.2 D-4d Vers. Corolla T Sport

SF695

I guess this is kind of a question about taste. And i have yet to try to drive either of these cars.

Now, it is no secret that i have never been a fan of diesel engines, but on the other hand, i've never been a fan of extremely high rev'ing engines either.

Anyway, some time ago, i answered back in a treath about the Corolla T sport, that i didn't like the engine having to rev so high, to achieve it's power and would rather prefer, the Auris 2.2 D-4D Sport, wiht it's massive torque in combination with almost as many horsepower as the Corolla T sport.

So i was just curious, which car you guys think is the better, regarding power, handling and so on.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SF695

• Rick D4D

• Norfolk n Chance

• boozehound

I guess this is kind of a question about taste. And i have yet to try to drive either of these cars.

Now, it is no secret that i have never been a fan of diesel engines, but on the other hand, i've never been a fan of extremely high rev'ing engines either.

Anyway, some time ago, i answered back in a treath about the Corolla T sport, that i didn't like the engine having to rev so high, to achieve it's power and would rather prefer, the Auris 2.2 D-4D Sport, wiht it's massive torque in combination with almost as many horsepower as the Corolla T sport.

So i was just curious, which car you guys think is the better, regarding power, handling and so on.

Hi SF,

I am currently driving the Auris T180 and before this i had the Corolla T Sport.

If i was to summarise it in 1 sentence it would be:

Auris is a rapid cruiser and T Sport is a sporty hatchback.

The feel of both cars are distinctly different. The T180 whilst it has all that torque but at the same time it is harbouring all that weight, but in the T Sport it is lighter and more agile as a smaller car.

Auris T180

Power delivery is more progressive yet strong from 2000rpm, if you floor it every gear it can feel manic. Somehow it feels less powerful than the figures suggests, but when you check the speedo you will confirm that you are making rapid progress.

On the motorway it will be able to chase down pretty much anything (if thats what you do on motorways :rolleyes: ) as long as you start from around 2000rpm and use it to 3600rpm.

Turbo lag is a problem below 2000rpm.

Agility is behind the T Sport as it is larger and heavier.

Feels like a large car with a VEE engine at times as you feel the surge of torque but lack the sense of speed due to lack of proper engine note and sudden cam change.

Corolla T Sport

Engine lacking torque but it is good enough to be a good town car. Dont expect to be able to power away if you are out of the high cam range, 6200rpm is what you want to aim for to setup a good overtaking condition.

6200 to 7800rpm is where all the fun is. :lol:

Below this it is still quick, but it will not set your pants on fire.

I find that in a straight line the T Sport can give any other hot hatch a run for its money, but when there are bends involved and or in B Roads, most of the other hot hatches sadly wins by such a large margin that you wonder what the hell happened? A clio 172 once gave me a very bad beating in a national limit B Road even though i more or less stayed in High Cam the whole time. The Corolla Compressor lessens the gap somewhat to other hot hatches.

Saying all this, the Corolla T Sport feels like a sporty number because the engine produces a sweent note when on cam, and the kick in the back side is just so much fun.

So... Depends what you want out of a car mate. The Auris is a comfy rapid cruiser with lots of room and is generally good to drive in any circumstances. The T Sport will help you feel that bit younger and it will put a smile to your face as long as you are not up against another hot hatch in a B Road situation.

Hi SF,

I am currently driving the Auris T180 and before this i had the Corolla T Sport.

If i was to summarise it in 1 sentence it would be:

Auris is a rapid cruiser and T Sport is a sporty hatchback.

The feel of both cars are distinctly different. The T180 whilst it has all that torque but at the same time it is harbouring all that weight, but in the T Sport it is lighter and more agile as a smaller car.

Auris T180

Power delivery is more progressive yet strong from 2000rpm, if you floor it every gear it can feel manic. Somehow it feels less powerful than the figures suggests, but when you check the speedo you will confirm that you are making rapid progress.

On the motorway it will be able to chase down pretty much anything (if thats what you do on motorways :rolleyes: ) as long as you start from around 2000rpm and use it to 3600rpm.

Turbo lag is a problem below 2000rpm.

Agility is behind the T Sport as it is larger and heavier.

Feels like a large car with a VEE engine at times as you feel the surge of torque but lack the sense of speed due to lack of proper engine note and sudden cam change.

Corolla T Sport

Engine lacking torque but it is good enough to be a good town car. Dont expect to be able to power away if you are out of the high cam range, 6200rpm is what you want to aim for to setup a good overtaking condition.

6200 to 7800rpm is where all the fun is. :lol:

Below this it is still quick, but it will not set your pants on fire.

I find that in a straight line the T Sport can give any other hot hatch a run for its money, but when there are bends involved and or in B Roads, most of the other hot hatches sadly wins by such a large margin that you wonder what the hell happened? A clio 172 once gave me a very bad beating in a national limit B Road even though i more or less stayed in High Cam the whole time. The Corolla Compressor lessens the gap somewhat to other hot hatches.

Saying all this, the Corolla T Sport feels like a sporty number because the engine produces a sweent note when on cam, and the kick in the back side is just so much fun.

So... Depends what you want out of a car mate. The Auris is a comfy rapid cruiser with lots of room and is generally good to drive in any circumstances. The T Sport will help you feel that bit younger and it will put a smile to your face as long as you are not up against another hot hatch in a B Road situation.

Thanks for a detailed, objective reply. What about raw acceleration, 0-100 km/h or 60 mph. The numbers i've seen are pretty similar. 8,1-8,4 seconds, with the Auris having a sligth advantage. In your experience, are those numbers reliable.

From what you say, i think i would still prefer the Auris

also consider the 45mpg tht u will get from the auris and not the t sport corrolla. Also, the engine is going to last longer (the 2.2 DCAT) being a diesel and also you dont need to rip the **** ***** off it like the engine in the t sport (you have to give the engine extreamly high revs to get the most out of it)

I've had all 3

t-Sport

supercharged t-Sport

t180

I miss the previous 2 a lot. A lot of fun thats for sure

t180 and t-sports are just opposites. However the t180 in gear is easily as quick if not quicker at some speed points.

The lift is infectious and a lot of fun however the t-sport is not a true hot hatch. Its got a great revving engine but thats about it.

The t180 has again, got a great very grunty engine and its not a hot hatch. You can chip it to 220bhp and 500nm of torque. Thats bordering on crazy for a hatchback. 500nm that is.

Day to day the t180 is much much nicer to live with. It has a lot of toys, its very fast and very comfortable. However i wouldn't recommend it if your only doing a few miles each day.

I really rate the t180 because the 0-60 figures don't do it justice. Diesels are awful in 1st and 2nd which kills the 0-60 time. Considering that and then realise it does it in 8.1 seconds even with 1st and 2nd. Then just think how quick it is on a rolling start. From 30mph it will pull like a train big time. And it will do that even in 6th.

Despite not being a hot hatch, the stock t180's were lapping nearly as quick as the older 4WD celicas. They impressed at the sprint series.

If your looking second hand, the t-sport will be a lot cheaper still but if you want a hot hatch look at the type-r. That is verging on true hot hatch for great money. Still the t180 can hold off a type-r and before people winge, its a reality i've done it.

So, summarised, neither are hot, t-sport is a lot of fun but not hot. It you want a hot hatch get a type-r. If you do some higher miles then the t180 is as quick as the type-r on UK roads excluding race, twisties, cornering etc (but thats not for me) the t180 has loads of kit and will do 40-45mpg and is cheap to insure as well.

If your looking second hand, the t-sport will be a lot cheaper still but if you want a hot hatch look at the type-r. That is verging on true hot hatch for great money. Still the t180 can hold off a type-r and before people winge, its a reality i've done it.

So, summarised, neither are hot, t-sport is a lot of fun but not hot. It you want a hot hatch get a type-r. If you do some higher miles then the t180 is as quick as the type-r on UK roads excluding race, twisties, cornering etc (but thats not for me) the t180 has loads of kit and will do 40-45mpg and is cheap to insure as well.

Having owned an EP3 Type R and now own the T180 I can assure you the CTR is quicker no doubt about it and the 0-60mph time of 6.4seconds shows it as well, from about 50 - 80 I would guess the T180 will hang on and maybe give the CTR a run but I still think its a little slower but then again the T180 is 20BHP and 20% heavier than the CTR so is that a surprise? As for twisties and cornering etc the CTR will be long gone providing you have decent tyre's not cheap budgets that some people fit, but this comes at the expense of a lot of road noise and front tyres that only last about 13k max. Now as a long distance car (50miles +) the T180 wins hands down as it is a lot nicer relaxed effortless drive, I miss the CTR but I can assure you I dont miss the road noise and the lack of cruise control, dual climate control and the close ratio gearbox that has the engine revs at 3500rpm at 70MPH, you dont really hear the engine but its still revving high for the speed. Another thing I dont miss is the 20MPG on cold starts when just knocking around town. For me the T180 is a lot better compromise but the insurance was only about £30 a year cheaper (£330 fully comp with all the extra's).

Aye thats what i said, 0-60 easy win for the type r, twisties, again easy win for the type-r but not such an easy win 30-70mph. The t180 can hold it off. This sort of range is the speed i'm travelling day in day out. I don't race or throw the car around in the twisties either and i never do 0-60's.

And m-ways were so tedious in the t-sport / compressor.

Much like you the acceleration on the go is there and the comfort and equipment makes it better day to day over longer miles.

But if its only short journeys then its always the type-r.

Exactly where do you have the numbers 6,4 seconds from? Did you test it yourself?

If yes, was it a stock NA engine? Did you redline it?

I'm asking because the information i have found about the T sport suggest 0-100 km/h in 8,4 sec.

Sorry, i misunderstood. CTR means Civic Type R, right?

Sorry, not that familiar with hatcbacks. Allways had sedans and still have one. Just wondering what to buy next time.

And if i was to stick with Toyota the T180 Auris may be interesting compared the rest of Toyota's lineup today.

However i see your point and if one likes high reving engines, that put out a lot of power for their size, then Honda should be the first choice. They sure look nice too.

On the other hand, what i like about the T180 is, that it puts out a decent amount of power, a lot of torque and it does it all beneath 4000 rpm, which is why i would prefer it over the Corolla T sport, even though it is a Diesel. And compared to a lot of other cars it's cheap, which is pretty important considering the prices of cars here.

Exactly where do you have the numbers 6,4 seconds from? Did you test it yourself?

I'm asking because the information i have found about the T sport suggest 0-100 km/h in 8,4 sec.

Facelift CTR (04 onwards civic type r) 0-60 6.4secs, yes this will include redline but CTR is made to redline, this will be stock N/A 2.0l 16v engine. If you fit a kpro ecu upgrage you will knock half a second of that. If you want a fast hothatch at a cheap price and reliable go for the Honda everytime..... But if you want a long distance cruiser then the T180/SR180 is very very good but dont let me fool you the faster car no matter the speed is the CTR, but the T180 is quick enough to keep it honest and gives better MPG.

Facelift CTR (04 onwards civic type r) 0-60 6.4secs, yes this will include redline but CTR is made to redline, this will be stock N/A 2.0l 16v engine. If you fit a kpro ecu upgrage you will knock half a second of that. If you want a fast hothatch at a cheap price and reliable go for the Honda everytime..... But if you want a long distance cruiser then the T180/SR180 is very very good but dont let me fool you the faster car no matter the speed is the CTR, but the T180 is quick enough to keep it honest and gives better MPG.

And cheaper too, right? Can't seem to open Honda's local webside, but the Auris goes for around 350-370.000 krónir, which should be dividet with aproximately 8,5 to get it in £

In the UK a T180 is about £11-£13k from Toyota, an EP3 CTR will be about £8500 from Honda and the newer FN2 CTR about 2 years old will be about £13k, both the CTR and the T180 or now known as the SR180 are both about the same price brand new.

These two cars are about as opposite as you can get, making quick progress in the Auris should be easy due to the lazy nature of a torquey Diesel, the Corolla needs to be worked hard and driven well to be kept in the power band, however the T-Sport IMO is more rewarding as it sounds excellent and loves to be revved.

I have had several Civic Type-R's and they are glad for a blast, but many don't have traction control or air con and other bits you get with the Corolla.

In our house we have chipped Passat (170) Diesel and the CTS, as i do 50,000 miles + per year i wouldn't want to do it in the Corolla as its to noisy/bumpy & lacks cruise control, however on the odd time i use the wifes car i love going for a blast in it, but i am glad to get back in the Passat when i go to work!

The best of both world would be a 2.0 Turbo Petrol Auris, except they don't make one :( Golf GTI anyone?

I have had several Civic Type-R's and they are glad for a blast, but many don't have traction control or air con and other bits you get with the Corolla.

The EP3 does have Aircon but it is optional extra or you buy the kit and get it fitted, The new CTR (FN2) has all the toys going if you get the GT spec

picture of aircon pipework

DSCF0340-1.jpg

as for traction control the T180 has it and you still can spin the wheels so its not that good, I tried it out in the snow the other week. Now the CTR to be honest dont need traction control as the chassis works very well, You can still spin it easy in the wet but in the dry it grips and works.

These two cars are about as opposite as you can get, making quick progress in the Auris should be easy due to the lazy nature of a torquey Diesel, the Corolla needs to be worked hard and driven well to be kept in the power band, however the T-Sport IMO is more rewarding as it sounds excellent and loves to be revved.

In our house we have chipped Passat (170) Diesel and the CTS, as i do 50,000 miles + per year i wouldn't want to do it in the Corolla as its to noisy/bumpy & lacks cruise control, however on the odd time i use the wifes car i love going for a blast in it, but i am glad to get back in the Passat when i go to work!

The best of both world would be a 2.0 Turbo Petrol Auris, except they don't make one :( Golf GTI anyone?

The best would be the Corolla Blade Master, made for the japanese domistic marked. It has the 3,5l V6 from the Camry.

However i agree with those of you, that prefer the Civic. But this threat was ment to compare the T Sport and the T180. The Civic, with it's 2.0 petrol engine, is kind of in a different league. The T sport has a 1,8l engine and the T180 has a Diesel engine.

Sorry, it's not called the Corolla Blade, just Toyota Blade Master or Master G. My bad.

This is getting worse than the 80.s where Corona's were made in Japan alongside Carina's, while in Europe the car called Carina II and later Carina E was in fact a Corona and as such a different model than the JDM Carina

was driving back from wales today, and for the first time i accelerated from 60-100mph absolutly thrashing a 320d bmw! he just could not keep up! i stayed in 100mph then for bout 5 mins in cruise control wereby i was getting 35mpg which i was thrilled with for such a high speed! and in 6th gear the engine was just below 3k revs which is amazing, all goes to show tht the auris T180 is a proper high speed cruiser, also, my mum just got her brand new rav4 yesterday, an sr180 wud u no lol

In todays green climate and the road tax priced on emissions I would advise you to go for a diesel every time, one of the reasons I got rid of my CTR was the fact the road tax was due to go up to £300 this march, now the government backed down in the end but I assure you this increase and more is on its way. The T180 engine is a cracker but like I said and others its not fair to compare a relaxed cruiser to a hot hatch.

With the present laws for taxes i don't have to worry about that. Remember i don't live in UK. Actually i think that diesels cost more in taxes, due to polution. Except for that, road taxes are set after the weight of the vehicle and i haven't heard about any plans to change that in the nearest future.

But the sad fact remains, that the Auris T180 is the fastest car in Toyota's european line up today. I was hoping that the Avensis would come with a more powerful petrol engine, but looks like that will not be in the nearest future, since emission control takes precidens over power today.

If you want a fast petrol car I would advise a test drive in a CTR the vtec is very addictive, the best ones to get are the JDM which always have more power and extra's. If possible try a Civic FD2, or a Integra DC5 both these will be jap imports.

The Integra DC5 would be my choice http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-INTEGRA-TYPE-R...%3A1|240%3A1318] Very nice car.

If you want a fast petrol car I would advise a test drive in a CTR the vtec is very addictive, the best ones to get are the JDM which always have more power and extra's. If possible try a Civic FD2, or a Integra DC5 both these will be jap imports.

Thanks for the advise. From what you all say the Civic is a nice car and it sure beats the crap out of the T sport.

However i'm not neccesarely looking for a hatch'. And i never really cared for extremely high reving engines. My first choice for a new car would be another Avensis, but with the precent engine lineup, none of them are as fast as the T180, which is why i might consider the T180, which again leads me to compare it with the Corolla T sport, with it's "bike engine", that a lot of T sport entusiast praise so gloriously.

You really should have posted this in the Corolla forum aswell as the feedback you probably get here is slightly bias, if you were soley going on 0-60 a CTS-C (corolla ts compressor) would beat the CTR hands down, now question, and seeing tax isnt an issue for you I would recommend a CTS ir CTS-C as they are not as common as CTR and people dont really know much about them so when u say i have a Corolla that runs near enough 200bhp people start asking questions :thumbsup:

No brainer in my opinion mate. B)

You really should have posted this in the Corolla forum aswell as the feedback you probably get here is slightly bias, if you were soley going on 0-60 a CTS-C (corolla ts compressor) would beat the CTR hands down, now question, and seeing tax isnt an issue for you I would recommend a CTS ir CTS-C as they are not as common as CTR and people dont really know much about them so when u say i have a Corolla that runs near enough 200bhp people start asking questions :thumbsup:

No brainer in my opinion mate. B)

Except for the fact that it's using 8000 rpm to achive those 200 bhp, and that's with the compressor. The T180 on the other hand, makes roughly the same output as the none compressor 2ZZ-GE, more than twice the torque and it does it all below 4000 rpm and doubtless it can be tuned to 200 bhp or more.

as has been pointed out above, its amazing the slating the t-sport is getting. in all fairness you can not compare the 2 cars. theyre worlds apart.

if you want a different view feel free to post in the rolla section too ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links