Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Big Fuel Debate

t-spiritpete

I am new to this forum but has anyone in the past raised the debate on supermarket diesel/petrol vs the top brand stuff, my past experience is the mpg return is lower with fuel from the likes of Sainsburys, your comments would be very welcome, cheers everyone, Pete.

has anyone in the past raised the debate on supermarket diesel/petrol vs the top brand stuff,

Loads of times, jury is still out... :thumbsup:

has anyone in the past raised the debate on supermarket diesel/petrol vs the top brand stuff,

Loads of times, jury is still out... :thumbsup:

I thought at one point it might be so but after a few monitorings, it seems to be swings and roundabouts so could be just a variation in batches from the refinery. I'm pretty sure that it all comes from the same refineries and storage facilities anyway.

I now only use Shell V-Power for petrol or diesel cars.

With my Petrol Avensis, I get an extra 40 to 60 mpg to a tank of fuel & the engine runs a lot better & is smoother. Never use Supermarket fuel now, as there is too much crap in it, hence it being cheaper.

Cheers,

Marv

With my Petrol Avensis, I get an extra 40 to 60 mpg to a tank of fuel & the engine runs a lot better & is smoother. Never use Supermarket fuel now, as there is too much crap in it, hence it being cheaper.

Cheers,

Marv

Yeah but Shell V-Power is a premium fuel (and more expensive) and cannot be compared to a standard unleaded. You can only compare like with like otherwise it is an unfair comparison. Have you tried a premium fuel from a supermarket?

Are we actually told, or is it possible to find out, precisely where the various supermarkets obtain their supplies? Assume it all originates from one or other of the major oil companies, but maybe with less additives included.

We had an issue in Rochdale sometime ago with supermarket fuel since then i personally would not go near it, i and others found that the tankards were not clean out and we was getting other rubbish in our tanks, plus when my own tank on a rover SDi was removed it had 6 pints of water mixed in with the fuel, never again.

We had an issue in Rochdale sometime ago with supermarket fuel since then i personally would not go near it, i and others found that the tankards were not clean out and we was getting other rubbish in our tanks, plus when my own tank on a rover SDi was removed it had 6 pints of water mixed in with the fuel, never again.

Thats got to be down to the delivery company not the supermarket but maybe they are using the cheapest delivery companies they can find to cut costs?

Never fill up at any petrol station thats just taken a delivery, it stirs up any sediment in the bottom of the underground tanks, see the tanker there - come back later or try somewhere else.

Thats got to be down to the delivery company not the supermarket but maybe they are using the cheapest delivery companies they can find to cut costs?

Never fill up at any petrol station thats just taken a delivery, it stirs up any sediment in the bottom of the underground tanks, see the tanker there - come back later or try somewhere else.

For six year in a row I was only using BP station (even the same one for the whole period) for petrol. Since I have bought my diesel Avensis I have tried Sainsbury's and found out that it gets me 2 to4 miles per gallon better economy compared to BP. Call it coincidence but I have checked this on a few occasions, fuel it up at BP do the mileage, then go back to Sainsbury's do the same. Almost emptying the tank every time so I believe it was a fair comparison.

I have also heard the stories (was it not Tesco with some petrol a couple of years back?) about fuel from supermarkets. But the truth is they all get the fuel from the same place. No supermarket (even all of them together) could afford their own refinery. The only difference could be the fractions of diesel they get in the end.

Still, Saisnbury's is a place that I would use. Touch wood ;)

Cheers,

Marv

Yeah but Shell V-Power is a premium fuel (and more expensive) and cannot be compared to a standard unleaded. You can only compare like with like otherwise it is an unfair comparison. Have you tried a premium fuel from a supermarket?

It may be a premium fuel, but you know what you get with it. It only costs £2 more per tank, but getting 40 to 60 mpg per tank is worth it. Besides I know of 3 cases where cars under warranty were not covered, due to dirty fuel & cost thousands to rectify.

And NO I have not tried supermarket premium fuel & would not use it, unless I could not find a Shell garage.

You say it's an unfair comparison. I disagree!! The fact you get more, much more mpg for just, £2 to £3 more means it is comparable. If fuel was not getting cheaper again, then I would agree it can't be compared. Where I am, unleaded is £0.89 per ltr & V-Power is £0.94.

By the way the 40 to 60miles more is urban driving only. I generally get an extra 100ish on motorways etc. 100miles for £2-3 is good in anybody's book.

Marv

Cheers,

Marv

It may be a premium fuel, but you know what you get with it. It only costs £2 more per tank, but getting 40 to 60 mpg per tank is worth it. Besides I know of 3 cases where cars under warranty were not covered, due to dirty fuel & cost thousands to rectify.

And NO I have not tried supermarket premium fuel & would not use it, unless I could not find a Shell garage.

You say it's an unfair comparison. I disagree!! The fact you get more, much more mpg for just, £2 to £3 more means it is comparable. If fuel was not getting cheaper again, then I would agree it can't be compared. Where I am, unleaded is £0.89 per ltr & V-Power is £0.94.

By the way the 40 to 60miles more is urban driving only. I generally get an extra 100ish on motorways etc. 100miles for £2-3 is good in anybody's book.

Marv

Hi Marv,

I am not disagreeing with your decicion to use a premium grade such as V-Power, but you wouldn't compare a McDonalds beefburger with a T bone steak, they are different products although they are both 100% beef.

The topic was whether or not supermarket fuel was any worse (or better I suppose) than branded fuel.

Premium grade fuel (whoever is selling it) is always better than the regular equivalent product.

Your decision not to use supermarkets for fuel (of any grade) is entirely your choice and I would not argue with that nor am I saying that supermarket fuel is good or bad, only that comparison should be kept between equivalent products.

Premium fuel over regular fuel is another subject altogether and the balance between price and mileage is down to the individual and the mileage returns they get from their vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that it all comes from the same refineries and storage facilities anyway.

it's certainly true in Scotland that the vast bulk of fuel comes out of Grangemouth irrespective of what name may be on the station that it then goes into.

It's a case of logistics up here & of course may well not be the same elsewhere.

The fact you get more, much more mpg for just, £2 to £3 more means it is comparable. If fuel was not getting cheaper again, then I would agree it can't be compared. Where I am, unleaded is £0.89 per ltr & V-Power is £0.94.

So it could be argued that using premium fuel is actually greener and better for the planet. If the miles per gallon are increased you are travelling further burning less fuel and thus causing less pollution and your C02 footprint :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Marv

Marv

Hi Marv,

I am not disagreeing with your decision to use a premium grade such as V-Power, but you wouldn't compare a McDonalds beefburger with a T bone steak, they are different products although they are both 100% beef.

The topic was whether or not supermarket fuel was any worse (or better I suppose) than branded fuel.

Premium grade fuel (whoever is selling it) is always better than the regular equivalent product.

Your decision not to use supermarkets for fuel (of any grade) is entirely your choice and I would not argue with that nor am I saying that supermarket fuel is good or bad, only that comparison should be kept between equivalent products.

Premium fuel over regular fuel is another subject altogether and the balance between price and mileage is down to the individual and the mileage returns they get from their vehicle.

I think you went too far with comparing a Mcdonalds burger is the wrong example to use. For 1 thing there is more bone in the Mcdonalds burger than the T bone Steak. Petrol/diesel is Petrol/diesel regardless of being premium, budget or standard. If you had compared steak as coming from Argentina to the UK, then I would agree in terms of quality. British beef, being the V-Power or equivalent & Argentinian beef being the standard or budget fuel(supermarket). While Argentinian is cheap & not as tasty will still keep you satisfied.

What I am saying is, why go for a petrol/diesel that saves you £2 to £3 per tank, when the premium gives you better value & is known to be better for your engine. I agree if anybody wants to buy cheap supermarket petrol,that's fine. But the original question was "debate on supermarket diesel/petrol vs the top brand stuff," & V-Power is Top Brand Stuff.

Have you thought about going in for your local debating team?

Cheers,

Marv

The fact you get more, much more mpg for just, £2 to £3 more means it is comparable. If fuel was not getting cheaper again, then I would agree it can't be compared. Where I am, unleaded is £0.89 per ltr & V-Power is £0.94.

So it could be argued that using premium fuel is actually greener and better for the planet. If the miles per gallon are increased you are travelling further burning less fuel and thus causing less pollution and your C02 footprint :thumbsup:

I suppose you could argue that. It also makes your throttle response quicker as well, regardless of engine size.

So you could also argue it is safer for overtaking as well.

I personally can't tell the difference, but I drive like a granny :lol:

It's right that most of the supers get their fuel from 'proper' fuel refineries, e.g. Sainsbury's is BP, Tesco's is Esso.

But it's like how a tin of Sainsburys/Tescos beans is really just Heinz beans, but with cheaper sauce. The sauce being the additives in the case of fuel :)

The super-premium stuff (I don't mean 'super' unleaded, but stuff like V-Power) is different as I think they make that stuff artifically, like the way fully synthetic oil is made; It's not just distilled/refined crude with some additives mixed in like normal fuel is.

In my old petrol car, I tended to use supermarket fuel most of the time, then occasionally go for that high-grade BP stuff that supposedly cleans out your engine a bit.

Not sure whether to do this with my diesel Yaris, as I've been told that it's better to stick with one type of diesel instead of repeatedly changing, but then again I've only refueled it 4 times since I bought it in December :P

I'm pretty sure that it all comes from the same refineries and storage facilities anyway.

it's certainly true in Scotland that the vast bulk of fuel comes out of Grangemouth irrespective of what name may be on the station that it then goes into.

It's a case of logistics up here & of course may well not be the same elsewhere.

Some years ago, I used to do some work for a firm of fuel tankers that ran under the Esso flag, when they switched brands and ran for Total, their tankers still collected from the same storage facility and from the same tanks so I am sure that fuel on one forecourt comes from the same place as any other. So Esso unleaded is the same as Total unleaded,Sainsburys unleaded or Asda's unleaded and the difference could be down to how well they look after the tankers that haul the fuel and the tanks they store it in.

That's my last word on the subject .............. I think ! :lol:

:meet:

Some years ago, I used to do some work for a firm of fuel tankers that ran under the Esso flag, when they switched brands and ran for Total, their tankers still collected from the same storage facility and from the same tanks so I am sure that fuel on one forecourt comes from the same place as any other. So Esso unleaded is the same as Total unleaded,Sainsburys unleaded or Asda's unleaded and the difference could be down to how well they look after the tankers that haul the fuel and the tanks they store it in.

That's my last word on the subject .............. I think ! :lol:

:meet:

That's very nearly the case. All fuel suppliers buy their raw fuel from the same refineries, even those who are competitors if they can secure it at the right price, however it is then usually made to a specific recipe, so a BP garage might sell Total refined fuel on one occasion and Shell another but it will have BP's recipe of additives etc.