Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do I Need A New Cat?

BluebellMel

I have a 2002 old style Toyota Avensis, 2.0 VVTI automatic.

I had an engine warning light come on about 1 month ago. Took it down to Toyota and they told me I probably needed a new cat + 4 new sensors at approx £1800+VAT.

They told me to wait until my MOT was due and put it through the emissions test and see how it did. I did this and everything passed but the Lambda test only passed by 0.01 (reading 1.02). Testing station & garage thought it was just a sensor and advised me to take it back to Toyota to find out exactly what I needed.

I took it back they then told me that the same code came up as before and that I needed a new cat for £1000 but couldn't guarantee that it would resolve.

I'm loathe to spend all this money on a car that's not worth much more than this and not have the problem resolved, but also don't want to end up with a car that either I can't sell or use if I don't do anything. Toyota did tell me that I could get a cat cheaper elsewhere (my normal garage has quoted £300 for supply & fit).

My cousin (who's a mechanic) has apparently told my dad not to bother changing the cat and the lambda sensor is taking readings all the time and it could change, but what if next year it fails then I've got a car that I can't drive?

One other thing, the car has a bit of a rattle....is this something to do with the cat?

Oh, and my fuel consumption is fantastic since this problem arose (getting an extra 70-100 miles a tank). What would you suggest?

Bluebell Mel

I had an engine warning light come on about 1 month ago. Took it down to Toyota and they told me I probably needed a new cat + 4 new sensors at approx £1800+VAT.

They told me to wait until my MOT was due and put it through the emissions test and see how it did. I did this and everything passed but the Lambda test only passed by 0.01 (reading 1.02). Testing station & garage thought it was just a sensor and advised me to take it back to Toyota to find out exactly what I needed.

I took it back they then told me that the same code came up as before and that I needed a new cat for £1000 but couldn't guarantee that it would resolve.

I'm loathe to spend all this money on a car that's not worth much more than this and not have the problem resolved, but also don't want to end up with a car that either I can't sell or use if I don't do anything. Toyota did tell me that I could get a cat cheaper elsewhere (my normal garage has quoted £300 for supply & fit).

My cousin (who's a mechanic) has apparently told my dad not to bother changing the cat and the lambda sensor is taking readings all the time and it could change, but what if next year it fails then I've got a car that I can't drive?

One other thing, the car has a bit of a rattle....is this something to do with the cat?

Oh, and my fuel consumption is fantastic since this problem arose (getting an extra 70-100 miles a tank). What would you suggest?

Bluebell Mel

If the rattle is coming from the Cat, it is probably the honeycomb inside the cat that has broken. This would cause poor performance from the cat as the flow of gases through the honeycomb would be disrupted and bypassing it.

Get underneath and give the cat a bang with your hand to see if it rattles.

Bluebell Mel

hello

I have changed mine at 75k (kms) due to warning light.

may be this will help.

cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links