Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How To Get Rear Drums Off To Inspect/adjust Brake Shoes

kman1

2002/1.0GS.

Any tips on how to remove the rear drums to inspect and/or adjust rear shoes, what is the size of the threaded holes on the drums where you can screw in some bolts to assist removal?

Try adjusting the handbrake cable first. (I've just done mine).

Unscrew gear knob, remover central console after unscrewing screw in cup holder at rear.

Mover passenger seat as far forward as possible.. and adjust screw.. Takes about 8 minutes..

My handbrake is now on 6 clicks of ratchet.. MUCH better.

Try adjusting the handbrake cable first. (I've just done mine).

Unscrew gear knob, remover central console after unscrewing screw in cup holder at rear.

Mover passenger seat as far forward as possible.. and adjust screw.. Takes about 8 minutes..

My handbrake is now on 6 clicks of ratchet.. MUCH better.

if were to adjust my handbrake that way, i would have the back of the car raised so i could check the wheels were not binding after the ajustment, the best way is to adjust brake drums first ,then the cable.

The rear brakes are self adjusting. If the self adjusters do not work, then it's a strip down job.

I jack up after I have adjusted: do not feel safe going into and out of a jacked up car... - even on axle stands.

If the self adjusting works correctly adjusting the handbrake lever to six clicks should not make the rear brakes bind.

The rear brakes are self adjusting. If the self adjusters do not work, then it's a strip down job.

I jack up after I have adjusted: do not feel safe going into and out of a jacked up car... - even on axle stands.

If the self adjusting works correctly adjusting the handbrake lever to six clicks should not make the rear brakes bind.

Quite right the rear brakes are self adjusting....when they work!

Do not adjust the cable first.

Remove rear brake drums. Normally a quick hit with a hammer on the Drum loosens the drum and should just pull off.

Clean off all muck/dust with a spray brake cleaner. Spray into the drum & wipe that clean to.

Using a screwdriver push the brake shoe away from the cylinder whilst holding the other shoe tight and this will operate the self adjuster.

Do this about 6/8 times watching the adjuster move the cam one tooth at a time.

Put the drum back on and check for brake binding. If you gone too far the drum will rub. You don’t want this. So click back the adjuster till the drum fits and doesn't bind.

Do the same with the other side. Refit wheels. These should Spin freely. Now check the Handbrake. Pull on 1 click at a time. The wheels should hold firm on 4/5 clicks.

Check each side as you Click up the H/brake.

If not repeat the operation.

Hope this helps.

R

2002/1.0GS.

Any tips on how to remove the rear drums to inspect and/or adjust rear shoes, what is the size of the threaded holes on the drums where you can screw in some bolts to assist removal?

Sounds a silly question but have you left the handbrake on? :unsure:

Shouldn't have to insert any bolts at all, basically you should just be able to pull them off. Or as Rayburn says, give them a crack with a hammer all the way round each drum to loosen them as sometimes this helps.

I've had mine off to inspect the shoes and to clean everything and they just pulled off no problem.Well, the left side did, the right side was a bit tighter but came eventually with a huge tug!! :lol:

2002/1.0GS.

Sounds a silly question but have you left the handbrake on? :unsure:NO

Shouldn't have to insert any bolts at all, basically you should just be able to pull them off. Or as Rayburn says, give them a crack with a hammer all the way round each drum to loosen them as sometimes this helps. Spent ages banging it with a rubber mallet lots of dust coming out but didn't budge. So I'm going to try again this weekend using the bolt method but just want to know what bolt sizes I need to purchase?

I've had mine off to inspect the shoes and to clean everything and they just pulled off no problem.Well, the left side did, the right side was a bit tighter but came eventually with a huge tug!! :lol:The drums have never been off the car and it is 7yrs old now, pretty well seized on I reckon!

Quote; " Spent ages banging it with a rubber mallet"

Rubber Mallet.............

Who said a Rubber Mallet? Thats no good.

A hammer. You need to Tap/Strike the brake Drum with the hammer all round the top edge of the drum.

You can spray a little wd40 round the Hub edge where the Studs are. This will aid removal.

Just sit there and dont give up to easy.

Dont forget, you need some Spray Brake Cleaner, rag and screwdriver medium size.

You will only need to move the brake shoes a little with it, to get the adjuster working.

PS.

Dont forget to Slacken the Hand Brake adjuster Off a little first. You can Re-adjust it later after doing the brakes. See my last post.

R

Quote; " Spent ages banging it with a rubber mallet"

Rubber Mallet.............

Who said a Rubber Mallet? Thats no good.

A hammer. You need to Tap/Strike the brake Drum with the hammer all round the top edge of the drum.

You can spray a little wd40 round the Hub edge where the Studs are. This will aid removal.

Just sit there and dont give up to easy.

Dont forget, you need some Spray Brake Cleaner, rag and screwdriver medium size.

You will only need to move the brake shoes a little with it, to get the adjuster working.

PS.

Dont forget to Slacken the Hand Brake adjuster Off a little first. You can Re-adjust it later after doing the brakes. See my last post.

R

Cheers sorted this out. The threads on the drums are M8 in case anyone want to use the bolt to get the drums off i prefer this to all the banging. My handbrake now holds very firm on 6 clicks. BTW looking at the brake shoe lining I think they might need replacing soon, only about 4mm left, I'm not show what thickness new ones are? Any special tools required to do this job all the springs look a bit scary? I've always had cars with rear brake discs; drums and shoes are a bit new to me!

i prefer this to all the banging

Thought I was on another website I frequent then :hammer::lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Special tools for rear brake shoes? None.

Just a screwdriver to lever off the linings and a piece of paper and pencil. (Draw the locations of everything BEFORE you remove them, marking clearly where the springs fit and in what direction ... the two sides are different!).

A photograph will help as well..

(I recommend a Haynes manual)

Anybody know what the minium rear brake shoe lining thickness is allowed to be?

Hi mate, i would imagine the limit is about 2-4mm minimum.

If you ring up Toyota, speak to the parts guy and ask them. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links