Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Bearing Help Needed

fergus1

Hi guys i am quite sure i have a rear wheel bearing on its way out,there is a loud humming noise in the rear of car on the motor way that comes in at about 50mph and stays there,i drive a 1999 1.6 avensis,i took the bearing hub off and had a look at it to find it has a abs sensor on it,i have been told because it has this sensor on it that i can only change it with a full hub from toyota ? main problem with this is that they want €380 for it,this seems like mad money to me,is there any other way i can change the bearing for less money,local motorfactors have bearing plus half hub for €80 but they do not have the abs sensor fitted,any help would be great...

Hi guys i am quite sure i have a rear wheel bearing on its way out,there is a loud humming noise in the rear of car on the motor way that comes in at about 50mph and stays there,i drive a 1999 1.6 avensis,i took the bearing hub off and had a look at it to find it has a abs sensor on it,i have been told because it has this sensor on it that i can only change it with a full hub from toyota ? main problem with this is that they want €380 for it,this seems like mad money to me,is there any other way i can change the bearing for less money,local motorfactors have bearing plus half hub for €80 but they do not have the abs sensor fitted,any help would be great...

I haven't examined my Toyota hubs but on most vehicles the bearings can be removed from the hub and replaced and only new bearings would be required and not the whole hub.

I haven't examined my Toyota hubs but on most vehicles the bearings can be removed from the hub and replaced and only new bearings would be required and not the whole hub.

On most cars you can, but certain Toyota's (Avensis, Celica etc) have a weird sized bearing you cannot buy, so it is a complete hub jobby

I can supply one to Ireland for £220 PM me if interested

Kingo :thumbsup:

Is it definately a bearing fault? I've had a few with unevenly worn tyres on the edges and it causes a very similar noise.

Is it definately a bearing fault? I've had a few with unevenly worn tyres on the edges and it causes a very similar noise.

Yes, but what would cause the tyres to wear unevenly? Tracking/bearing etc.

To fergus1,

Do you mean rear tyres wearing unevenly ? Rememeber Avensis rear suspension is adjustable, once bearing replaced have your car lazer tracked, front & rear.

Regards, Beagh.

Fit a salvaged part. Put a post on here:

http://www.247spares.co.uk/?gclid=CLvG1Zibo5kCFcST3wodQinZpA

You may consider it a risk. But the part will be a bolt-on hub assembly and probably taken from a low-mileage insurance write-off vehicle. Much cheaper.

But the part will be a bolt-on hub assembly and probably taken from a low-mileage insurance write-off vehicle.

Not likely to be low mileage on a 99/00 vehicle, but will be far cheaper (providing the second hand bearing doesnt fail too soon) Paying for and fitting a second hand part isnt cheaper if you have to replace it again next month!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Agree with Parts King here.

It may be cheaper to fit second hand parts, but the parts have an unknown history and are already the same age as the one you're replacing. If it only lasts for a year then needs replacing it'll end up costing you more in the long run.

A few more pounds gets you peace of mind and a lasting repair.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

However consider that a wheel bearing 'should' last the lifetime of the car. They do not (particularly Toyota) fail as as 'matter of course'. I am not expecting the bearings on my car to fail any time soon. It's not as if you were replacing a part with a limited life span.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

However consider that a wheel bearing 'should' last the lifetime of the car. They do not (particularly Toyota) fail as as 'matter of course'. I am not expecting the bearings on my car to fail any time soon. It's not as if you were replacing a part with a limited life span.

It is not uncommon for wheel bearings to fail, ask any mechanic. Much depends on many factors such as mileage, average speed, load and weather to a great extent. Lots of rainfall and puddles/flooded sections of road contribute to failure of the bearings from water ingress.

Who said they 'should' last the lifetime of the car? How long is the lifetime of a car? measured in years? or measured in miles?

• Like 1

In fact, wheel bearing failure is much more common than it used to be mainly due to 'traffic calming' countermeasures on estate roads.

• Like 1

In fact, wheel bearing failure is much more common than it used to be mainly due to 'traffic calming' countermeasures on estate roads.

hi guys i have replaced the rear wheel bearing ,and yes it is now a lot more quite,but there is still a loud noise comong from the front of the car,the bearings seem fine,will start looking at the tyers and so on,i am just afraid it might be the gear box,was going to replace the gear box oil but i cant figure out witch are the fill and empty bungs on the gear box ,any help to locate them would be great...

hi guys i have replaced the rear wheel bearing ,and yes it is now a lot more quite,but there is still a loud noise comong from the front of the car,the bearings seem fine,will start looking at the tyers and so on,i am just afraid it might be the gear box,was going to replace the gear box oil but i cant figure out witch are the fill and empty bungs on the gear box ,any help to locate them would be great...

Drain plug is at the bottom, fill plug is around 1/3 to 1/2 way up.

Drain plug for gearbox is directly below n/s half/shaft at bottom of box & refill plug which should look the same is halfway up the front face of the gearbox as if your looking directly at car from thre front.

Regards, Beagh.

Drain plug for gearbox is directly below n/s half/shaft at bottom of box & refill plug which should look the same is halfway up the front face of the gearbox as if your looking directly at car from thre front.

Regards, Beagh.

Thanks guys for the info i will try to change the box oil this week and report back

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links