Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Filling Up!?

Wertle

Hi, new to this forum (got my Yaris today!). Everything is great except for one little detail. Sorry if this sounds stupid but...

When filling up with petrol, is there a special way of doing it as it kept clicking as though it were full (even though it was only just filling up). I am not sure if it was just me (first time nerves - no jokes please!) or perhaps the pump I visited. A friend says that in Toyotas you have to hold the pump at an angle but not sure if that is true.

Any help would be great thanks!

Hi, new to this forum (got my Yaris today!). Everything is great except for one little detail. Sorry if this sounds stupid but...

When filling up with petrol, is there a special way of doing it as it kept clicking as though it were full (even though it was only just filling up). I am not sure if it was just me (first time nerves - no jokes please!) or perhaps the pump I visited. A friend says that in Toyotas you have to hold the pump at an angle but not sure if that is true.

Welcome to Yaris world. ;)

I allways fill up at the same garage. One of the pumps there does this (Clicking) and takes ages for a full tank. :rolleyes:

The other 5 pumps don't do it, so in my experience it's certain pumps at fault, not the car. ;)

Welcome to Yaris world. ;)

I allways fill up at the same garage. One of the pumps there does this (Clicking) and takes ages for a full tank. :rolleyes:

The other 5 pumps don't do it, so in my experience it's certain pumps at fault, not the car. ;)

I found this when i got my 2008 Yaris "Stuie" even though hes a diesel. Had him almost a year and i still hold the pump on an angle to fill him. I find Tesco and Morrisons pumps a pain. I hold the nozzle slightly out on an angle and it works. Good Luck.. and yours better not be blue.. the TR didnt come in blue last year!!

Definitely the pump mate, the odd pump will keep shutting off like that. Theres nothing I like more than standing at a petrol pump putting 30p of fuel in each squirt lol :crazy:

I've found that some pumps do it if you stop fuelling close to being full, then it starts the 30p squirt thing! lol

Take no notice, its not the car IMO :)

Definitely the pump mate, the odd pump will keep shutting off like that. Theres nothing I like more than standing at a petrol pump putting 30p of fuel in each squirt lol :crazy:

I've found that some pumps do it if you stop fuelling close to being full, then it starts the 30p squirt thing! lol

Sometimes I find it does that, but as another poster has already said, pushing the handle towards the back of the car will help get rid of the problem!

Don't worry, there isn't anything wrong with your car. I bought my Yaris the other day in Southampton and filled her up on the way back to Oxford. No problem whatsoever. My car previously was a Honda and when I filled her up once, the pump kept clicking which infuriated me because it wasn't even half full! It is most likely the pump being silly. How you hold it does affect things but only when your tank is nearing its full mark.

I filled up with the special high octaine petrol to give the tank a good wash out and run it through the injectors. Makes me feel that I'm treating my car every now and then ;)

'Good Luck.. and yours better not be blue.. the TR didnt come in blue last year!!'

Nope, not blue, mine is an SR - Dark Grey

Thanks for all the advice, I'll hopefully have less trouble next time.

Sometimes I find it does that, but as another poster has already said, pushing the handle towards the back of the car will help get rid of the problem!

That is the best method. Many cars have to have the pump nozzle applied in a certain way, the Yaris is nearly fully in, with the pump handle and hose facing the rear of the car! :D

Hi its the pump my dad was filling his car up today and it was doing it to him and he hasn't got a toyota.

No problems with the yaris in this area, however my Aygo did it at every pump every time, the only way round it was to invert the nozzle. Sometimes it is definatley the car!

When I used to use Sainsburys would always have to turn the pump round and hold it in at an angle.

Don't have the problem that much anymore thankfully as I don't go Sainsburys any more.

I won't be surprised if someone makes a post saying how they have to stand like a little tea pot as they fill up their car. I just whack it in and seldom have any problems. If I do, I assume it is the pump and go elsewhere.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links