Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Workaround To Get Immobilsed Car Started

Bali

Dear All,

I am a new member to this forum but have been on this site to get useful snippets for my Toyota. I owe this forum so wish to exchange a few

workarounds that I have come across, that I will hope you will find useful.

I own a Toyota Carine e 1995, which I am very pround off, a first timer on MOTs and has never let me down.

The problem started last week when I left my lights on. In the morning I had a flat Battery. As soon as I started cranking the

engine the Alarm would go off until it faded away slowy, with a complete dead Battery.

The mistake I made was to leave it flat over the weekend, by this time the back up Battery on the alarm was also dead and this

meant I lost re-sync with the key fob.

After charging the battery I connected the terminals to the battery and tried starting the alarm and yes you guess correctly, the alarm

would activate, I was unable to turn off the alarm and had lost communication with my key fob. Furthermore, the car locked in with

the immobliser on, shown by the RED LED near the handbreak. This was a no win situation.

I looked at various discussion threads on this forum, which I found useful and informative, but unfortunetly for me, none of the tricks

would work. I was reluctent to pay £200 plus to the local dealer to deal with my situation so I got on my hands and kness and done the the following.

1. Removed the GloveBox compartment, by unscrewing 2 screws on the underneath.

2. In my Car and I guess in most others (with a factory fitted alarm) you will see the Alarm ECU on the far left, this is next to the Main ECU and

Engine ECU.

3. The Alarm ECU has 2 sets of socket wires attached to it, It also has a 3-pin header socket and 2-pin header socket.

The socket wires have about 10-14 wires all bunched together.

4. Remove all the socket connections from the Alarm ECU.

5. Connect the positive terminal to the battery.

6. Turn on the Ignition just before cranking it.

7. Connect the Negative Terminal.

8. Try and Start the Car. Note, nothing will happen!!!!

9. Leave the key in the On position, and re-connect all the socket connections to the Alarm ECU.

10. Start the Car, the Car should Start.

Workaround Number 2. If all else fails, and you are not bothered in keeping the Alarm/Immobilsier, and wish to

disconnect this. (please note your car will not be secured)

This may breach security rules so send me a private message if you what to know how.

• 1 year later...

hi i am currently having the same problem took it to a garage for mot amd the Battery died while it was there, dont know how or why

been trying all sorts to get it started and the garage wants me to pay them for their mess up but will try anything to bring the price to as little as possible

could you email me the second option please to phil_lee88@hotmail.com

thanks in advance

phil

• 2 years later...

Dear All

I have a toyota Avensis 98 with a similar problem. i changed the fwd pax side main beam bulb. and following day the car did not start. so I charged the Battery it was the same. Changed the Battery still the same.

Got a RAC manon the job he said it is the ring arround the key that is giving the problem. i try to buy a second hand reciver ring slaved it. That was worst not staring at all. put back the original it is the same. Plug a diagnostiic had the message immobilizer fault. as car is not worth a lot i do not want to spend buying a new key and key holder and the ring i wolud like to disarm the imobilize. and use the car.

Can I have some help on this.

Can iIhave the method 2 . my e mail is sarith1@aol.com

Thanks in advance for all the help

sarith

• 3 months later...

Hi could you send me the 2nd option please I have tried to no avail to bypass the immobiliser...no car...small child///help my email is clarkeys8@aol.com

• 1 month later...

Hi, could you send me the option 2 please, my email is venan_476@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Bali, I too have an Avensis 98 with the same problem. Starts to 1000 rpm then cuts out within a second, it did this just as I was going on holiday with the family :-(

The mobile recovery guy did some tests and said it was an immobiliser issue. Well, my remote has not worked for some years and the cars is not worth a lot, so I would really like to bypass this if possible. Could you send me the option two please? john.cottier@yahoo.com

• 1 year later...

will this method work for a 98 2.0 avensis as I have the same problem, started after a longish run. the car eventually started but did the same thing a couple of days later. my mail is:- peter.stevens0085@orange.fr

• 9 months later...

My '94 Carina E has just immobilised herself following a dizzy cap and rotor arm swap (that's gratitude for you!). I'll give your idea a try.

It seems that the engine type has a part to play. Mine is the 3S-FE lump. Behind the glovebox there is only the engine ECU. I think the other ECUs are under the centre console.

Finally found the ECU under the drivers seat. Followed the above instructions as best I could (only one plug on the unit) but no dice.

The immobiliser wasn't the problem, it was a short blowing a fuse!