Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Leak - Should It Be Noticable Outside The Car?

Xenole

Just taken my 57 plate Yaris in for it's 10,000 mile service and to get some sort of steering wheel recall thing done.

Went to collect it and was told they had found an oil leak and they would need a day to look for the source of the leak.

Haven't noticed any indication on the dashboard about oil and I've never seen a drop on the road even when my car has been parked for a couple of days.

So, is it possible to have an oil leak without any visible sign outside of the car?

Just taken my 57 plate Yaris in for it's 10,000 mile service and to get some sort of steering wheel recall thing done.

Went to collect it and was told they had found an oil leak and they would need a day to look for the source of the leak.

Haven't noticed any indication on the dashboard about oil and I've never seen a drop on the road even when my car has been parked for a couple of days.

So, is it possible to have an oil leak without any visible sign outside of the car?

Could be leaking into the water, or past the pistons, burning up and going out the exhaust! Have you had to add oil regularly? mine barely uses a drop between services and still looks clean, not all black and... erm... oily! If it is under warranty, get 'em to lend you a replacement and get it fixed whilst you still can! B)

I would ask them where they found the oil leak e.g. engine or gearbox oil, and also ask them why they need it for so long. Oil leaks are usually easy to find and not too many Yaris's suffer from this let alone newish one's. It could even be an error, the technician may have been working on two cars at the same time and entered the other car's info on your service sheet.

By the way what did they say about the recall and what did they do?

Probably a timing chain cover or sump oil leak. Not a major job and not many are bad enough to leave signs on your driveway. The reason they need the car for so long is to make sure they find the point at where it is leaking, carry out the repair and let the sealer set, then run the engine and make sure the leak has been fixed. Normally leave overnight to allow the sealer to fully set before replacing oil and running engine. As above, its under warranty so just let the dealer sort it out for you.

I'm a little concerned about the recall you mentioned as I have been on VOSA's website and there is no mention whatsoever about any recalls on your model year, do you have any more info on the matter? Have you had the oil leak repaired yet?

I'm a little concerned about the recall you mentioned as I have been on VOSA's website and there is no mention whatsoever about any recalls on your model year, do you have any more info on the matter? Have you had the oil leak repaired yet?

Just had a call from Mr T this afternoon requesting that we bring our yaris in for the steering column recall, should take about 1 1/2 hours, to be confirmed in writing in the coming weeks by Toyota GB.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links