Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 2.0 Avensis D4d Sedan Light Problems

mavur1

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and I hope you can help me with my problem. I've tried to search other topics, but I couldn't find any that match my issue.

So, here goes:

(I'm not English, so I'm not sure if I'm using the proper terms for the technical parts, but I hope you'll understand what I mean :) )

First the left indicator light(?) on the dashboard began blinking rapidly, because the rear left indicator light wasn't working. The original bulb was labeled 12V21W. It didn't look like it was blown, but I switched it nonetheless.

Problem is that I switched it with a 24V21W bulb, and when I turned the lights on again, the left rear lights weren't working at all (but the right ones were). (I switched the bulb right back to the original 12V21W)

After that it just went worse and worse; first the left headlights went out, after I had tinkered a bit with fuses and the bulbs and then the left parking lights went as well, so now I don't have any lights at all on the left side.

I've checked all the small fuses in the fuse panels (three panels in the engine, one panel on left side of steering wheel, and they're all intact (haven't checked the relays though). I also understand that there's a fuse panel inside the glove compartment, but I haven't checked that.

So the summary is as follows:

All the left lights are out, rear and front.

All the right lights are working.

All of the small fuses are intact.

I have not checked relays or glove compartment fuse panel.

The left rear indicator bulb is switched back to the original 12V21W, and does not appear to be blown.

I hope you can help me

Thank you very much

Mavur1

To mavur1,

If you suspect you may have blown a fuse whilst replacing bulbs. Check fuses behind glovebox, you will find white & blue sticker on rear of glove box naming all fuses & also in engine bay to right hand side you have a main fusebox also that may have headlamp fuses.

But before pulling everything apart, make sure bulbs that you have purchased do not have off set locking pins, you may just have wrong bulbs.

regards, Beagh.

It sounds like you have a few different problems as all your problem circuits have their own set of wiring and fuses. ie the indicators are one set, the front and rear sidelights are another set, and the front headlights are two sets.

Firstly the rapid blinking of the indicator normally means a blown bulb. By changing to a 24 volt bulb it's possible that you've blown the indicator fuse. However it should have nothing to do with any of the other lights.

The front sidelight and rear parking light to each side of the car will have it's own fuse (and one side will also do the rear registration plate light). It's possible that the fuse for the left side has blown.

The headlights for each side of the car will have two fuses - one for dipped beam and one for high beam. If you've had the headlight bulbs out and touched the glass it's possible that the bulbs are now blown (you're not supposed to touch the glass). Alternatively it's possible that both the headlight fuses for the left side have blown.

However it sounds a bit unlikely that you've blown several fuses simply by fitting a wrong bulb. Check all the wiring connectors that you have touched - perhaps one or more haven't re-seated properly.

Hi!

Thanks for your concern, it is really appreciated!

But as I said, all of the fuses are intact. There is however one fuse in the engine room which almost looks like it's blown, but I can't really tell, because it's impossible to remove it. It's a 140A fuse, and the manual says that it's for 'Electrical rear window(?)' (That's translated from Danish: El-bagrude). I'm guessing that it's referring to the heat in the rear window.

But as I said I can't tell if the fuse is blown or not...any idea of how to remove it? I tried yanking it out with pliers, but that only resulted in damaging the plastic casing that envelops the fuse.

And does that fuse have anything to do with anything?

Once again thank you

Mavur1

To mavur1,

Large fuse you are looking at looks like a little black box with metal link inside with a clear plastic cover ? If so, do not remove it, certainly has nothing to do with your headlights. Headlight fuse should be a small red plastic link fuse, use an AVO meter a cross fuses in large engine bay fuse box to confirm if fuse is blown or not.

Regards, Beagh.