Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti 2001 Gs 5dr Clattering Noise

tarbee

Hello,

Had new 'short engine' thanks to Mr T late last year and my Avensis has now done 72,000 miles. For about 5 weeks now I have noticed on tick-over a clattering/rattle type noise which appears to be coming from the top of the engine. After consulting with Mr T I have been told they will need to measure the gap on the tappets and then order some 'shims'. All in all its sounds quite an expensive job after what I was told and of course its not covered with the engine swap as its the top of the engine. My questions are:

1. Will leaving it as it is make any real difference to the engine?

2. Should an engine like this develop the above problem after 72,000 miles of steady driving?

3. Basically should I get it done or not as the cost could be as much as £300-£400

After getting the engine changed due to the 'oil issue' I thought that would be it now, for a good while anyway but how wrong was I!!!

Disappointed..... :(

Please advise.....

Many thanks!

Paul

Hello,

Had new 'short engine' thanks to Mr T late last year and my Avensis has now done 72,000 miles. For about 5 weeks now I have noticed on tick-over a clattering/rattle type noise which appears to be coming from the top of the engine. After consulting with Mr T I have been told they will need to measure the gap on the tappets and then order some 'shims'. All in all its sounds quite an expensive job after what I was told and of course its not covered with the engine swap as its the top of the engine. My questions are:

1. Will leaving it as it is make any real difference to the engine?

2. Should an engine like this develop the above problem after 72,000 miles of steady driving?

3. Basically should I get it done or not as the cost could be as much as £300-£400

After getting the engine changed due to the 'oil issue' I thought that would be it now, for a good while anyway but how wrong was I!!!

Disappointed..... :(

Please advise.....

Many thanks!

Paul

pay the money and get it done, you have been lucky and had a new short engine on a 8 year old car

It could do.

It depends on the cause.

Based on the dealer being worried about the shim clearances best case is a loss of performance and the engine sounding a bit agricultural (cams not opening the valves smoothly or enough)

Worst case could be the valve getting released, dropping into the cylinderbore and smashing the engine apart

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links