Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Items Need Doing

natehall

Ok, My car is just in for its 60,000 mile service

Got a phonecall of the chap from our Local(ish) Toyota Dealership, and it needs the following

Pollen filters + Air con recharge - I disagree i shiver when the aircon is on after about 2-3 minutes - i do not want it any colder!

But what concerns me is the following, they said they could do all of this before I pick the car up at 5pm:

Front Discs & Pads

Rear Pads

Brake fluid change

Clutch Fluid replacement

Air Con Recharge + Pollen Filters

They wanted around £550 to do all of this work from the quick mental arithmetic i did whilst he was realing prices off at me. I nearly hit the floor!

The car is 5 1/2 years old, on a 53 plate, with a service history from toyota, and i was told when i purchased the car 6 months ago the brake parts had all been replaced prior to it being put on sale!

I can get OEM Quality Discs and pads for ~£100 from the local motor factors, as well as all the brake fluid i need to bleed the brakes, and am not afraid of a bit of hard labour and have a good grasp of mechanics (im fully restoring my other car - including a full rebuild of brakes/engine/gearbox etc, I have a couple of questions though.

What order should I bleed the new fluid through on the car?

How do you bleed a hydraulic clutch? im only used to cable operated clutches

If the air con stays to warm in the future - my wife will be happy!

To natheall,

I may be missing something in regards to your 60,000 mile service, but it also includes cambelt renewal aswell as the actual sevice itself. If your getting this done for £ 550 i would suggest you are getting a very good deal from Toyota. Think you may need to phone Toyota dealer to confirm complete list of work on top of extras, brakes for example.

Regards, Beagh.

hi

iv worked for toyota for 6 years and when servicing a car iv never recharged the aircon as part of the service. we only do it when the customers feels its not cold enough but from your description it sounds ok. The pollen filter only gets changed when its clogged up with dirt. flys ect.

Brake fluid is recomended by toyota to be replaced every two years. When you replace yours, start at the brake furthest away from the master cylinder (N/S/R) then work your to the O/S/R then the N/S/F then O/S/F and always make sure theres plenty of brake fluid in the resivour.

Bleeding the clutch is a pest but when you do it manually you have to top up the clutch master cylinder (normally takes the fluid from the brake one) and get someone to sit in the car while you are under the bonnet at the gera box slave cylinder. open the cylinder and tell th person in the car to push the clutch pedal. close the cylinder and pull the pedal up. keep doing this and the pedal should feel good after a a few pumps and the fluid will be brand new :) :) :)

stevie

To natheall,

I may be missing something in regards to your 60,000 mile service, but it also includes cambelt renewal aswell as the actual sevice itself. If your getting this done for £ 550 i would suggest you are getting a very good deal from Toyota. Think you may need to phone Toyota dealer to confirm complete list of work on top of extras, brakes for example.

Regards, Beagh.

Not true if engine chain driven like mine. Also my discs and pads (all round) were renewed when I bought the car at 40k. Toyota Approval Process before they could sell the car! Salesman said there was a series of checks the vehicle goes through (after price agreed). If tyres/pads/disks are less than so many mm then they are renewed at the Garages cost. Mine must have cost them a small fortune since I got a couple of new tyres as well.

Be cheeky and ask how much discount will you be getting!

Ahh sorry if my original post was not clear.

The car has a full service plan on it and as such, I dont pay on the day for the standard services, just any extra's they find.

whats bugged me, is my car went through the Toyota Approval Process, where it highlighted new discs/pads all round and new parts were fitted (or so i was told - and they looked new), Today (6 months and around 4,000 miles later) I have been told the front pads are 90% worn and the discs scored - but within tollerances so they can skim them.

They wanted 253.98 to replace the front brakes, which were "Replaced" 6 months ago, and £117.13 for the rear pads, which were replaced 6 months ago - again having had 85% wear. They also want to replace the brake fluid at a cost of £45, and the clutch fluid at £25

I have no problem with the brake fluid/clutch fluid replacement charge - but think there trying to take me for a ride - either when they sold me the car 6 months back, or now they come to service it a mere 4,000 miles later. There are also other little charges which bring the total to £530

Ahh sorry if my original post was not clear.

The car has a full service plan on it and as such, I dont pay on the day for the standard services, just any extra's they find.

whats bugged me, is my car went through the Toyota Approval Process, where it highlighted new discs/pads all round and new parts were fitted (or so i was told - and they looked new), Today (6 months and around 4,000 miles later) I have been told the front pads are 90% worn and the discs scored - but within tollerances so they can skim them.

They wanted 253.98 to replace the front brakes, which were "Replaced" 6 months ago, and £117.13 for the rear pads, which were replaced 6 months ago - again having had 85% wear. They also want to replace the brake fluid at a cost of £45, and the clutch fluid at £25

I have no problem with the brake fluid/clutch fluid replacement charge - but think there trying to take me for a ride - either when they sold me the car 6 months back, or now they come to service it a mere 4,000 miles later. There are also other little charges which bring the total to £530

Hi,

If the Brakes were done 6 months ago and have only covered 4K, Its highly unlikely they need renewing unless you are very harsh with your braking

I would check with the people who sold you the vehicle to show a parts invoice to prove that the brakes were indeed repalced.

Sorry something not right here. If you purchased this car from a Toyota garage (hence the Toyota Approval process) and you were told the brakes were changed then its down to Toyota to put it right FOC.

Sounds like the job either wasn't done or the servicing dealer is trying to get extra work - very naughty. If its a Toyota garage then they can use theservice system to see exactly what work was done on the car previously regardless of which dealer did it.

Sorry something not right here. If you purchased this car from a Toyota garage (hence the Toyota Approval process) and you were told the brakes were changed then its down to Toyota to put it right FOC.

Sounds like the job either wasn't done or the servicing dealer is trying to get extra work - very naughty. If its a Toyota garage then they can use theservice system to see exactly what work was done on the car previously regardless of which dealer did it.

Thanks for the info - I bought the car from my local Toyota dealership!

I may have to go in and get a copy of all work done to the car in the past which is on the system. I was told by the sales guy there was £700 worth of work carried out on the car, including replacing all brake consumables (discs, pads and fluid) + other little bits it needed to be prepared to a Toyota Approved status!

It seams like the plot is thickening - As I dont think the brakes are right on this car - I will take it to a independent for an inspection and get more information on what work has been carried out prior to presenting it to to Toyota!

Oldest trick in the book if you want to make a few quid is "oooohhh the brakes are looking a bit low, might not make it to the next sevice" or similar.