Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Gone On 07 Avensis

Buttons

Hi - please please please - I need advice.

I bought a 2007 Toyota Avensis Strata 1.6 from a garage 3 months ago - in January 2009 which had 23,000 miles on it. In the 3 months that I've been driving it to and from work every day I've clocked up about 1800 miles on it and now the clutch seems to have gone.

I've noticed in the last 2 days that the clutch pedal itself is very light and when you press on the pedal it doesn't give any resistance - there's no tension there at all and as a result, I'm having major problems changing gears - especially trying to put it into first gear when I'm stationery. When I turn on the engine initially, I am unable to put it into first gear - the gearbox just will not move into first - I have to push/pull it into other gears before eventually it goes into first. It's not that it's just "sticking" it physically just will not budge from neutral into first gear. I've noticed that when I'm driving, if I put it into first gear before I come to a complete stop, it's ok but it defo will not go into first from a stationery position.

I rang the garage where I bought the car and told them the problem and even though 3 months ago they told me the car came with a 1 year warranty and that "they have no problem standing over Toyota cars" they are telling me that a clutch isn't covered - that it's wear and tear and that if it's the clutch that has gone, I will have to fork out for it!

Please tell me how this can be legal? The car is not even 2 years old yet, I only bought it 3 months ago and I've only clocked up 1800 miles on it. I'm not driving the crap out of it, I'm not resting my foot on the clutch all the time - I've driven cars for years - mostly 10 and 12 year old bangers and I've NEVER had any clutch problems before so it's not something I've done.

Can anyone tell me offhand if it sounds like the fault is with the clutch and is there any way I can avoid having to fork out for it? Please help....very angry about this....thanks!

well.. contact citizen advise.

but to find out if the clutch is faulty or pressure plate

turn car off, press clutch down and see if you can select all the gears.

then do the same with out pushing clutch in.

sounds like .... an issue with pressure plate / clutch

Thank you CMIA - how do I know if it's the pressure plate? If I turn off the car and am able to select all the gears with the clutch pressed in, does this mean it would be the pressure plate and if so, would that be something that would be covered under the Toyota warranty? Thanks again.

well, if the clutch is light, its probably going to be pressure plate or maybe the hydralics.

their is no adjustment for hydralics, so i assume that if they are ok, then it can only be the

cluth/pressure plate. I am guessing you have checked all the oil's for the clutch ?

it is best if you replace the parts with a "clutch kit". its hard to say if its wear and tear, but the manufactures always use that getout clause.

its best if you look through the warranty pack, and maybe ask them for a good will gesture, but to be honest ... 1800 miles is not alot. and the clutch should have not failed and at 30k of miles the clutch should only have bedded in.

Thank you CMIA - how do I know if it's the pressure plate? If I turn off the car and am able to select all the gears with the clutch pressed in, does this mean it would be the pressure plate and if so, would that be something that would be covered under the Toyota warranty? Thanks again.

Hi,

Ok I have done that and can change gears while car is off and clutch is in and am also able to change the gears when car is off and not using the clutch? This is a bad things yes?

Hi,

Ok I have done that and can change gears while car is off and clutch is in and am also able to change the gears when car is off and not using the clutch? This is a bad things yes?

thats good

means the gearbox is ok.

go to your local T or where u bought the car and spea k to the service manager.

Maybe the seals are faulty in the master or slave cylinder hydraulics, this could cause the light pedal you describe but surely the garage will do a quick check for you at no cost, can't hurt to ask them.

As CMIA rightly says it may be the pressure plate but I don't think it would fail so quickly and the clutch would more than likely slip. I have seen the lever between the slave cylinder and the clutch release bearing bend or even break on rare occasions this will also cause the pedal to go very light because it is not putting full pressure onto the release bearing which in turn presses on the pressure plate which disengages the clutch allowing you to select gears. It is always difficult to give a 100% diagnosis in a case like this as is true of many faults on this forum but try we will, best of luck ..... Pete.

I bought a 2007 Toyota Avensis Strata 1.6 from a garage 3 months ago - in January 2009 which had 23,000 miles on it. In the 3 months that I've been driving it to and from work every day I've clocked up about 1800 miles on it and now the clutch seems to have gone.

I've noticed in the last 2 days that the clutch pedal itself is very light and when you press on the pedal it doesn't give any resistance - there's no tension there at all and as a result, I'm having major problems changing gears - especially trying to put it into first gear when I'm stationery. When I turn on the engine initially, I am unable to put it into first gear - the gearbox just will not move into first - I have to push/pull it into other gears before eventually it goes into first. It's not that it's just "sticking" it physically just will not budge from neutral into first gear. I've noticed that when I'm driving, if I put it into first gear before I come to a complete stop, it's ok but it defo will not go into first from a stationery position.

I rang the garage where I bought the car and told them the problem and even though 3 months ago they told me the car came with a 1 year warranty and that "they have no problem standing over Toyota cars" they are telling me that a clutch isn't covered - that it's wear and tear and that if it's the clutch that has gone, I will have to fork out for it!

Please tell me how this can be legal? The car is not even 2 years old yet, I only bought it 3 months ago and I've only clocked up 1800 miles on it. I'm not driving the crap out of it, I'm not resting my foot on the clutch all the time - I've driven cars for years - mostly 10 and 12 year old bangers and I've NEVER had any clutch problems before so it's not something I've done.

Can anyone tell me offhand if it sounds like the fault is with the clutch and is there any way I can avoid having to fork out for it? Please help....very angry about this....thanks!

From the symptoms you describe it isn't the clutch that is at fault. I think you will find the problem lies with the clutch operating hydraulics hence the clutch is not clearing to engage gears.

From the symptoms you describe it isn't the clutch that is at fault. I think you will find the problem lies with the clutch operating hydraulics hence the clutch is not clearing to engage gears.

My money would be on this diagnosis too. Shouldn't be a difficult fix and should be under warranty IMO. Get it done immediately, you're putting severe pressure on the synchros in your gearbox trying to get it in gear like it is!!

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. My husband is dropping the car into the garage where we bought it this morning and they're going to have a look at it for us. Fingers crossed that the problem lies with something that is covered under the warranty as I will be very annoyed if I have to end up paying for something that was faulty in the first place!! Will let you know how we get on and keep you updated.

Thanks again - you've all been really helpful.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. My husband is dropping the car into the garage where we bought it this morning and they're going to have a look at it for us. Fingers crossed that the problem lies with something that is covered under the warranty as I will be very annoyed if I have to end up paying for something that was faulty in the first place!! Will let you know how we get on and keep you updated.

Thanks again - you've all been really helpful.

hello

the sofler pedal the more air inside the hydraulic circuit or pilot pistoon seal wear down.

cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links