• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• Davrav

• Michael85

• nest

It is down to a clogged/sticking EGR valve and records the fault "P0400".

The good news is that Toyota have extended the warranty on this fault to 5 years or 100k miles on parts and labour and the new valve is modified. You need to make your dealer aware so that he can do some digging - they may not be so aware in Romania.

Hi all,

Does the EGR warranty extension apply to all models or just the RAV4?

I have a Nov 2005 Corolla Verso which has just started showing the same VSC fault.

I was out of town yesterday when it happened, and the dealer I visited diagnosed the EGR, but he couldn't fit me in and I was 250 miles from home. I'm booked in at the local dealer for tomorrow and just want to be sure of my facts first.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Hmmm

Well. You should approach your dealer with the hope they will do it as a policy warranty claim but they do seem to have done a u turn on it of late. If the quote is expensive it is quite easy to do (not sure what the access is like on a Verso) but if you fancy cleaning it out just unplug it, take it off and give it a good wash out with a paint brush and carburettor cleaner but DON'T soak it and then give it a try. It takes about 20 mins and a tin of carb cleaner and there is nothing to lose. If the dealer will do it under warranty, let them get on with it!

All the best.

• 6 months later...

I read your posts with interest from last year about the clogged EGR valve as I too have had these messages at 67K miles and some engine smoke recently. I took my car into my main dealer and had it assessed and they have said it is fault P2002 and relates to an inefficient CAT converter? For which they wish to charge £1600 to replace. I am not convinced that it's not the EGR valve upsetting the CAT readings - is that possible? Should I be pushing to have the EGR valve and manifold modification done anyway and then see if the warning lights come back on, because for the moment all appears fine but the lights come back and the engine smoke appears occasionally without warning?

Welcome to the club.

Approach your dealer for a policy warranty claim - they are doing this work FOC out of warranty at the moment. Be polite and tell them you've heard that it should make a valid claim. They will hopefully give you a modified cat and any associated cleaning of the EGR.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Hi

New to this forum and have experienced this error. Car is a 2006 RAV4.3 2.2 D-4D and is now in the shop.

They will clean the valve, and not replace it.

Is there any written evidence that Toyota have extended the warranty for this valve, including replacing it?

BR

Nilz

Welcome to the club.

Here, they view claims sympathetically and sometimes change the valve. Unfortunately there is no consistency - you have to try. However, you can usually make a successful job of cleaning the valve. I recently knocked the end cap out to make a better job of cleaning the valve.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I'm new on the forum and I'd like to put down the problem that I have at the moment.

I have a 2007 Rav4 and 88.750km at the moment. Today I got the "Check VSC, Check 4x4 system" warning and I went straight to the dealer for a check-up. While waiting at the dealer, I went online and ran into this thread... Eventually the result came, they told me I need new injectors because the ones that I have are passed the cleaning stage and that everything should cost around 2000-2200eur.

Could they be..intentionally wrong about it? Does the above mentioned error appear when there are injector problems too? According to what has been said here earlier, my 2007 model has mechanical EGR and I should ask for cleaning this part.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

* UPDATE

I asked for the fault code and they said it's P1238 but they do not want to give a paper that states this because this only shows up in their papers it's not in their routine to hand out a statement like that.

Hello,

I'm new on the forum and I'd like to put down the problem that I have at the moment.

I have a 2007 Rav4 and 88.750km at the moment. Today I got the "Check VSC, Check 4x4 system" warning and I went straight to the dealer for a check-up. While waiting at the dealer, I went online and ran into this thread... Eventually the result came, they told me I need new injectors because the ones that I have are passed the cleaning stage and that everything should cost around 2000-2200eur.

Could they be..intentionally wrong about it? Does the above mentioned error appear when there are injector problems too? According to what has been said here earlier, my 2007 model has mechanical EGR and I should ask for cleaning this part.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Tell them it is using oil and that you would like the have an engine under the current warranty program. The engine change shouldn't cost you anything and it will include injectors that fall short of specification.

What do you mean by 'an engine'? Change the whole engine??

Im outta warranty anyway, and they said that the ERG pump wont benefit from any extra warranty either.

Can you please explain what u meant?

Thank you.

Im outta warranty anyway, and they said that the ERG pump wont benefit from any extra warranty either.

Thank you.

You get a new 3/4 engine plus new DPF/EGR and 5th injector plus loads of other stuff. Could be more than £6500 worth of engine on a rebuild...

Thank you.

You get a new 3/4 engine plus new DPF/EGR and 5th injector plus loads of other stuff. Could be more than £6500 worth of engine on a rebuild...

Mine needed injectors as well but i was told that this was because they were sooting up as part of the oil burning problem. This was all done under warranty, (engine and injectors) at my local Toyota dealer, no quibbles.

Thank you.

Have aread at this;

4.3 engine repair with blocked EGR.pdf

anchorman Mistermena & jonjosar

Thank you for the advice and the feedback!

However they don't want to recognize the warranty bulletin. Initially they said it's only valid for 3yrs and now they say they don't know what it is.

Is there any reference to it? How do I prove it's a valid doc?

However they don't want to recognize the warranty bulletin. Initially they said it's only valid for 3yrs and now they say they don't know what it is.

Where abouts are you Michael? They seem to be talking BS............

Sounds like they are doing anything they can to put a spanner in the works. Get hold of Toyota UK and get them to send the same doc to them so they know its valid! The hoops that you have to jump through is amazing sometimes!!!

If they dont know what it is then go to another dealer who does as this is something that all dealers should know about :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to type up a comprehensive guide to the 2AD engine. Its issues and problems and how to go about resolving them with the Dealer ?? Then perhaps it could be posted as a sticky ??

If this is supported then I'm happy to do this so We can direct new Members and anyone asking questions about this ever increasing subject ??

Don ????

Let Me know ...........

Im from Romania.

Would that make any difference..? Why wouldn't it be valid here?

I already wrote Toyota RO, Im expecting answer.

Im from Romania.

Would that make any difference..? Why wouldn't it be valid here?

I already wrote Toyota RO, Im expecting answer.

OK, if Toyota RO don't help, you will need to get in touch with Toyota Europe to find out if the policy is specific to individual markets.

I wish you good luck and hope that Toyota RO are able to help you :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to type up a comprehensive guide to the 2AD engine. Its issues and problems and how to go about resolving them with the Dealer ?? Then perhaps it could be posted as a sticky ??

If this is supported then I'm happy to do this so We can direct new Members and anyone asking questions about this ever increasing subject ??

Don ????

Let Me know ...........

I think that would be a good idea. So many members come on here asking questions about the 2AD engine. I help a guy the other day get a new engine. Lovely fella sent me beer token for my :newyear::drunk: up....

I think we're very lucky to have Toyota techs like Ormi on here to answer some of the in depth technical questions to...

Ps... I'm offering reg members a free coolant pressure test to try and help out when some dealers say theres not a problem sir with the head gasket

Mistemena, I'd probably do the same if it saved me that much money.

Mistemena, I'd probably do the same if it saved me that much money.

If I could help you mate I would. Like lots of the members on here we all help out each other. Ormi (Anchs and others) helped me with my 2AD engine a while back! And I may need his help again in a few weeks time :blink:

Different markets different regulations, they mightn't not get away with fobbing people of here, but in other smaller markets do they really care?