Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Feels Sluggish After Timing Belt Change...

ColinC

I got a Dayco belt on eBay as well as the idler and tensioner pulleys from TCB, and after my mechanic put them into my car, it's driving more like a 1.4 than a 2.0!

I go up the same hill to work every day for the past two years. Before changing the belt, my celica would fly up the hill in 2nd gear, now she is struggling and a lot more sluggish. The car is also lacking torque throughout the entire rev range! You just keep waiting for that "sweet point" int he power band around 4000rpm when it just boots off, but it never comes :( it just feels like my old 1.4 civic...

I've also noticed an "uneven" power distribution... ie, the car doesn't accelerate as smoothly, sometimes there are uneven boost in power here and there in the rev range. This car was driving fabulously before the change, and was always super fast, super responsive and like a new car!

My car is a 98 GT, ST202, 3SGE engine.

Did my mechanic do something bad? Or should I just change the spark plugs / leads and pray...

could be a tad out on the timing side of things.

Hi There, It sounds just like the problem I had about 6 weeks ago.

The timing belt is out by 1 tooth i would say. It sounds like the mechanic did not lock off the cam pullies when fitting.

I took the cover off (1 bolts a pain) and re aligned the top 2 and the bottom pulley was out by 1 tooth.

(you dont have to do this you can get the garage to while you watch to prove a point).

You can just move the pulley around by hand. Make sure its the 2 top pullies that you line up (they have a mark on them to align with the head).

The timing will also be out because the ecu will be trying to compensate the retarded firing.....

It sounds exactly like mine was. When it was re aligned it goes sweet again.

When you take it back just tell them its firing retarded (the explosion at the top is happening when the piston is dropping...They should both happen at the top).

I got £100 off for this error as I laid it on thick that i had lost a days pay because of the mess up.

The garage will have to take it all off and start again.... Remember a belt is classed as worn after its been on the car for 10 mins so request a new one on re fitting...

Hope this helps you out..... Oh yes mines a Celica 2.0 GT (UK Spec)...

Cheers

Big E

The timing belt is out by 1 tooth i would say. It sounds like the mechanic did not lock off the cam pullies when fitting.

I took the cover off (1 bolts a pain) and re aligned the top 2 and the bottom pulley was out by 1 tooth.

(you dont have to do this you can get the garage to while you watch to prove a point).

You can just move the pulley around by hand. Make sure its the 2 top pullies that you line up (they have a mark on them to align with the head).

The timing will also be out because the ecu will be trying to compensate the retarded firing.....

When you take it back just tell them its firing retarded (the explosion at the top is happening when the piston is dropping...They should both happen at the top).

I got £100 off for this error as I laid it on thick that i had lost a days pay because of the mess up.

The garage will have to take it all off and start again.... Remember a belt is classed as worn after its been on the car for 10 mins so request a new one on re fitting...

Cheers

Big E

Thanks loads for the info guys! That all really helps :)

I have to do some long journeys before I get this sorted out - will it do any damage? Maybe 300 miles or so 350.

The other thing is that I got a local mechanic to do the timing belt and tensioner/idler pulleys for me, and he did the job quite cheaply. I don't live there anymore so it's a bit if hassle trying to get him to do the entire job again :( Is it possible that he could do it without taking off the entire belt, etc?

I'm actually tempted to just go to Toyota and ask one of the mechanics there to sort this out, cos I'm now doubting the ability of the guy who managed to mess this up!

Cheers

Big E

Thanks loads for the info guys! That all really helps :)

I have to do some long journeys before I get this sorted out - will it do any damage? Maybe 300 miles or so 350.

The other thing is that I got a local mechanic to do the timing belt and tensioner/idler pulleys for me, and he did the job quite cheaply. I don't live there anymore so it's a bit if hassle trying to get him to do the entire job again :( Is it possible that he could do it without taking off the entire belt, etc?

I'm actually tempted to just go to Toyota and ask one of the mechanics there to sort this out, cos I'm now doubting the ability of the guy who managed to mess this up!

Why dont you call out a mobile Mechanic and see if you can get a cash deal. The book time I think for a full change is 2 1/2 hours. Try a Krypton Mobile tunning Service and explain that the parts are on but they are incorrectly set up.

You ECU will keep adjusting the errors that your mechanics done but personally I would get it sorted sooner rather than later as if the engine goes you are up S%$t creek without a paddle..

The garage that done mine way a close friend and I did not have any hassle in getting it reset. The mechanic will swallow his pride before you even put a ding in yours....

Cheers

big E

You ECU will keep adjusting the errors that your mechanics done but personally I would get it sorted sooner rather than later as if the engine goes you are up S%$t creek without a paddle..

The garage that done mine way a close friend and I did not have any hassle in getting it reset. The mechanic will swallow his pride before you even put a ding in yours....

Cheers

big E

Thanks for the advice mate!

Well the two option for me at the moment are:

Option A - Get it done sooner - will cost me over E100 to get it done around the corner from work. I can do this really quickly, and maybe it's the best option

or Option B - Get it done later - will take a couple of weeks, but eventually the mechanic who made this mess will fix it for me, and it won't cost me a penny

I'm currently thinking of using option A, because I just want it sorted and I love my Celica too much to risk the engine.

But 300 miles or so should be ok, yes???

you may well find after a few hundred miles it may be ok when the belt stretches a bit , if its running ok its not too far out , if its 1 tooth out its either going to be hard to start ( retarded ) or runs on ( advanced ) . sounds like yours is retarded if its lazy on hills. if it was a full tooth out it would be giving more grief than it is IMHO.

are you getting any tapping from the cam shaft at all ???? could be he didnt lock the cam shafts down , 1 or possibly both could of moved as the celica has 1 for inlet and 1 for exhaust valves.

either way the belt has to come off and be redone - a new belt should be fitted to maintain tension . the guy who did the job should pay for it to be done elsewhere if he's worth his salt .

you may well find after a few hundred miles it may be ok when the belt stretches a bit , if its running ok its not too far out , if its 1 tooth out its either going to be hard to start ( retarded ) or runs on ( advanced ) . sounds like yours is retarded if its lazy on hills. if it was a full tooth out it would be giving more grief than it is IMHO.

are you getting any tapping from the cam shaft at all ???? could be he didnt lock the cam shafts down , 1 or possibly both could of moved as the celica has 1 for inlet and 1 for exhaust valves.

either way the belt has to come off and be redone - a new belt should be fitted to maintain tension . the guy who did the job should pay for it to be done elsewhere if he's worth his salt .

Thanks for your input GT4 Booster :)

Yeah, the car is fine starting and turning off. Starts first time every time, so I'm happy with that. But my car used to fly up that hill to work in second, and now it needs to go into first with plenty of revs, so I'm definitely going to get it done again!

Yes, sometimes I hear a sharp sound when changing up the gears, not sure what it is. Thought it was just an exhaust noise before, or my imagination... it's hard to hear.

One last question - should I really need to buy a new belt? Or would the one I have be safe for another 60,000 ?

to be safe fit a new belt , if you dont and it snaps or sheds a tooth or 2 you will have no comeback . for the £30 odd quid its not worth the risk.

if you remove the timing covers and line up the timing mark on the crank , the cogs of the camshafts have timing marks on them also , TRY THIS before a strip down , if the marks are spot on its another problem , if not well then you have scope to proceed and fix the issues.

ps- i also read you bought or were buying a timing belt off eBay , im curious as to if you counted the teeth on the old and new belts before fitting ???

please goto a toyota dealers and buy the belt that matches the chassis number . some things are not worth saving a few quid on , and a timing belt is one of those items.

id only ever use a Quentin Hazel belt over a Toyota one .

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys, Dont know how different it would be But i Have An Australia Model toyota Celica SX 1991, And i just replaced the water pump, Timing belt Fan Belt And what ever the other belt is, I think my car has the same problem except it kinda struggles to start but after about 20secs of running it idles alright, Also The ECU light is on in the dash, Its very sluggish, For slow of taking off. and some times it almost stalls. Happeneds alot after the timing belt change, Just would you be able to let us know if the given solutions help you out, Because id say it would be the same. Cheeers mate.