Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Mki Electrics

Sergio Cristina

Hi!

My father owns a 2001 Avensis 1.6 and last week the car wouldn’t start (Battery discharged) so he tried to start the car with jump cables but the car still wouldn’t start. He changed the Battery and the car then started but the radio didn’t work and the Battery red light appeared. After a few starts the car stopped working again.

He called me to take a look at the problem and I realized that the fuse for the radio (or so I think 10A fuse marked “rad 1”) was broken as was the 100A fuse.

After replacement of both fuses the car started but the radio and internal lights don’t work and the battery red light is still on.

Does anyone know how to fix this? The red light means that the alternator is not working properly?

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

Hi!

My father owns a 2001 Avensis 1.6 and last week the car wouldn’t start (battery discharged) so he tried to start the car with jump cables but the car still wouldn’t start. He changed the battery and the car then started but the radio didn’t work and the battery red light appeared. After a few starts the car stopped working again.

He called me to take a look at the problem and I realized that the fuse for the radio (or so I think 10A fuse marked “rad 1”) was broken as was the 100A fuse.

After replacement of both fuses the car started but the radio and internal lights don’t work and the battery red light is still on.

Does anyone know how to fix this? The red light means that the alternator is not working properly?

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

Correct, red Battery light lit when engine running means the alternator is not charging. Check by voltmeter across Battery terminals, should rise to 14volts (max 14.4) when running. Could be faulty alternator/voltage regulator or a wiring fault.

the fact that the 100amp fuse had blown to me suggests that your father has jump started the Battery the wrong way around. so if i was you id check ALL the fuses on the car and see if anymore have blown. you need to be 100% sure all the fuses are ok before replacing any parts.

Hi!

My father owns a 2001 Avensis 1.6 and last week the car wouldn’t start (battery discharged) so he tried to start the car with jump cables but the car still wouldn’t start. He changed the battery and the car then started but the radio didn’t work and the battery red light appeared. After a few starts the car stopped working again.

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

hello

it was a reverse current resulting 100A fuse burning out due to a wrong juam starting polarity.

now you've to test each (!) fuse in the fuse box before do anything.

cheers/Igor

Hi!

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

hello

it was a reverse current resulting 100A fuse burning out due to a wrong juam starting polarity.

cheers/Igor

Hi!

Yesterday I checked all fuses (visually) and they appeared to be all ok.

Tonight I will check the fuses with a multimeter to be sure...

Thank You for your help.

By the way, the fuse that I referred (Rad 1) is really the one for the radio? Does any one know where is the fuse for the interior lights?

Sérgio

Hi!

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

hello

cheers/Igor

Hi!

Thank You for your help.

By the way, the fuse that I referred (Rad 1) is really the one for the radio? Does any one know where is the fuse for the interior lights?

Sérgio

Sergio

Refre to the manual on the relevant page.

Besids -- open each fuses boxes covers and a respective marks are punched on this covers inside for quick guidance.

Each fuse has own number that is the same as printed in this manual.

You'll find an answers shortly

Cheers/Igor

Hi!

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

hello

cheers/Igor

Hi!

Thank You for your help.

Sérgio

Sergio

Besids -- open each fuses boxes covers and a respective marks are punched on this covers inside for quick guidance.

Cheers/Igor

Ok!

As expected I found another fuse broken. Visually it was ok but with the multimeter I found out that it wasn’t ok. I changed it and now everything works.

The issue is that the Battery light is still on. I measured the voltage in the Battery and the reading is 14,30 V (with the car running). So I would say that the alternator is ok. So what could be the problem now?

Thank you again for your help.

Hi!

Thank You in advance

Sérgio

hello

cheers/Igor

Hi!

Thank You for your help.

Sérgio

Sergio

Cheers/Igor

Ok!

As expected I found another fuse broken. Visually it was ok but with the multimeter I found out that it wasn’t ok. I changed it and now everything works.

The issue is that the Battery light is still on. I measured the voltage in the Battery and the reading is 14,30 V (with the car running). So I would say that the alternator is ok. So what could be the problem now?

Thank you again for your help.

Is the light on only when the engine is running?

Does it light up with ignition?

Is it on when the ignitoin is switched off?

Does it have an alternator with an integral regulator or has it got an external regulator?

If it has an integral regulator, the warning light has a feed to one side of the bulb, the other goes to earth through the alternator. When the engine starts and the alternator charges, the earth in the alternator changes to a feed. This feed balances out the feed on the other side of the bulb and the light goes out.

When the light stays on, the alternator side of the bulb is going to earth somewhere. Could be the alternator itself or a short circuit somewhere between the bulb and the alternator.

If it has an external regulator, the bulb earths through the regulator in a similar way.

Might be best to get an auto electrician to look at it for you.

YES

YES

NO

Does it have an alternator with an integral regulator or has it got an external regulator?

I think its integrall. But how can I check?

If it has an integral regulator, the warning light has a feed to one side of the bulb, the other goes to earth through the alternator. When the engine starts and the alternator charges, the earth in the alternator changes to a feed. This feed balances out the feed on the other side of the bulb and the light goes out.

When the light stays on, the alternator side of the bulb is going to earth somewhere. Could be the alternator itself or a short circuit somewhere between the bulb and the alternator.

If it has an external regulator, the bulb earths through the regulator in a similar way.

YES

YES

NO

I think yours will be integral, a single large lead and a multiplug with 3 wires?

I would check again all the fuses particularly any marked IG or CHARGE. If not, it may have blown a diode in the alternator. As carl:-) said, it would suggest that the polarity has been wrong on the initial jump start.

Take a look at the link below, hopefully it will help. Electrical problems can be difficult even when you have them in front of you but from the other end of a keyboard become nearly impossible as you can only take a good guess.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec05.pdf

Hope this helps.

YES

YES

NO

I think yours will be integral, a single large lead and a multiplug with 3 wires?

I would check again all the fuses particularly any marked IG or CHARGE. If not, it may have blown a diode in the alternator. As carl:-) said, it would suggest that the polarity has been wrong on the initial jump start.

Take a look at the link below, hopefully it will help. Electrical problems can be difficult even when you have them in front of you but from the other end of a keyboard become nearly impossible as you can only take a good guess.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec05.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thank You Again for your help...

Best Regards

SC

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting the schematics Q.S.

No problem, glad to be of assistance.