Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Proof Keys?

caveman_si

Any one know if the grey valet key ie the one with no buttons is water proof? Im guessing the black one with buttons aint.

All my previous cars had a purely mechanical key and being in to my water sports and outdoors stuff it just occured to me I best find out for sure if the grey one is.

If not anyone know the price for a purely mechancal key?

Cheers Si

Any one know if the grey valet key ie the one with no buttons is water proof? Im guessing the black one with buttons aint.

All my previous cars had a purely mechanical key and being in to my water sports and outdoors stuff it just occured to me I best find out for sure if the grey one is.

If not anyone know the price for a purely mechancal key?

Cheers Si

Hello as ar as i know the grey one is for car service and it is normal mechanical key as plastik surrounding the steel.

the in case this one is simple key - it might be manufactured easily on the market key workshops. but in case you need original then it is the way to dealer having a key code sticked on one of the keys you have. Cheers/Igor

Surely all keys have some electronic component, isn't there a passive chip in all keys for the engine immobilation system? Whether water affects it or not I don't know, sorry.

Doesn't the grey key still have an Immobiliser chip inside it to start the car?

Doesn't the grey key still have an Immobiliser chip inside it to start the car?

I'm pretty sure it does - it doesn't work for the glove box or boot, but does work for everything else.

That said, without the various buttons it's almost certainly water-tight. Without rigorous proof, I'd try it in the wet and I would doubt it would stop working :D

Key description from the owners manual is the following : Keys (without engine immobiliser system). Your vehicle is supplied with two kinds of key. 1 Master key (black) : These keys work in every lock. 2 Sub key (grey): This key does not work in the trunk and glove box. To protect items locked in the trunk and glove box when using valet parking, leave the sub key with the attendant. Keys (with engine immobiliser system). Your vehicle is supplied with two kinds of key. 1 Master key (black) : These keys work in every lock. Your Toyota dealer will need one of them to make a new key with a built-in transponder chip. 2 Sub key (grey) : This key does not work in the trunk and glove box. A transponder chip for the engine immobiliser system has been placed in the head of the master and sub keys. These chips are needed to enable the system to function correctly, so be careful not to lose these keys. If you make your own duplicate key, you will not be able to cancel the system or start the car. As to being water-proof, i would urge caution, because of the following notice given : Do not put the key in water or wash it in an ultrasonic washer. Says it all to me. Water has a great ability to get where you do not want it to go. Keep it dry, as far as i am concerned.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links