Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Manual Cars Or Auto's?

JappyBeast

Manual Cars or Auto's?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Manual Cars or Auto's?

• I only drive manual
    • I only drive auto
    • It doesnt really matter to me.. either/or

Looking at second hand cars for sale it is clear that Auto's are generally more undesirable than the manual (shift stick for our US fans) cars and the price reflects this.

Question is, do you prefer and auto over a manual or are you not bothered?

Personally I wouldnt go near an auto as I feel this takes away the whole driving experience, dumping it in a lower gear and booting it is a great feeling IMO but I respect that some people require an auto for town/city driving or just like them more. I know of people who drive auto's for medical reasons.

I want people to be honest here and give your personal circumstance!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karma Supra

• Bizarra

• Phoenix999

• Cyker

Automated sequential manual ;)

It depends on the car and the engine really....

My Hilux would have been rubbish as a manual, yet my first MR2 was rubbish as an auto, the supra turbo engines actually tend work very well with the auto box (apart from the 1G-GTE), but the N/As don't.

I've had a couple of autos in the past. A 3 series BMW and a V6 Freelander, found the different/laid back style of driving quite enjoyable. :thumbsup:

Both.. i've always prefered manual in my cars as i enjoy the feel of changing through the gears , where as for work of course it has to be automatic because of the high level of stop start driving .

I don't do a lot of stop start traffic, so always prefer a manual. The big engines do need an auto box I feel if they're set up for cruising around rather than performance.

I have driven a Radical with sequential bump shift before. That was good. He'd flipped the linkage round so it was pull to change up and push to change down.

Exactly how it should be!

Expand!

I thought long and hard about getting the SMG gearbox on the M3 when I bought mine.

Essentially it is the same as the manual box, (proper gears, clutch etc) but the shifter and clutch are hydraulicly operated, so at peak performance it can change gear in .8 of a second, operated by paddles. (NOT the same as the autos with a paddle switch!)

The software that runs it all was developed by williams F1.. the problem is from reading the forums there were more than a few cases of hydraulics failure, leaving you stuck in gear or stuck out of one... (just like F1 lol). it can also be operated in full auto mode.

I decided against it as the SMG pumps are £1500 for the parts alone, and I'd probably not fancy fitting one... so I went with what I know "traditional" manual.

Cool SMG features - double declutch and blip the throttle automaticly th match revs on downshifts, and launch control (hold down one paddle, floor it, let go of paddle to launch).

Like getting the surf instead of a Hilux pickup part of me always wishes I'd gone for the other option!

The only auto i ever drove was an rover SD1 and i felt sickly when driving it, had an idea it was either the thing changing the gears for itself or it was the lazy style of driving "nothing to do" i would consider an auto again but do prefere manuals.

I thought long and hard about getting the SMG gearbox on the M3 when I bought mine.

Essentially it is the same as the manual box, (proper gears, clutch etc) but the shifter and clutch are hydraulicly operated, so at peak performance it can change gear in .8 of a second, operated by paddles. (NOT the same as the autos with a paddle switch!)

The software that runs it all was developed by williams F1.. the problem is from reading the forums there were more than a few cases of hydraulics failure, leaving you stuck in gear or stuck out of one... (just like F1 lol). it can also be operated in full auto mode.

I decided against it as the SMG pumps are £1500 for the parts alone, and I'd probably not fancy fitting one... so I went with what I know "traditional" manual.

Cool SMG features - double declutch and blip the throttle automaticly th match revs on downshifts, and launch control (hold down one paddle, floor it, let go of paddle to launch).

Like getting the surf instead of a Hilux pickup part of me always wishes I'd gone for the other option!

Surely part of the fun is learning to double-declutch yourself? Little bit of heel-and-toe?

I always do ;) (unless I'm being lazy)

I always do ;) (unless I'm being lazy)

Well in that case, you win the "Petrol Head" award.

You also win "Most Smug Driver" award

:)

You also win "Most Smug Driver" award

Excellent... and I have not even been a BMW Driver for a full year yet! :lol:

My last 2 cars are/were manual Executive GLs & I love them. I am perfectly happy with manual & most of my cars have had it.

However, I fell in love with my Chevy Monza when I saw it in the Saleroom. It was a case of "must have" :lol: It had an automatic box . I would get cheeky berks coming up beside me at the lights. Just a case of accelerator to the floor, bit of a screech from the tyres & off we'd go , up through the gears & aforesaid cheeky berk would be a spot in the distance.

My late wife favoured Automatic Golfs, so we had 3 of those, I think.No problem, I enjoyed driving them, except for the long story I posted previously when 1 put itself into Park at a roundabout & left me stranded for 3 hours on a winter's day, till the AA got to me.

As mentioned previously, a major + is the price when buying. Few want them :thumbsup:

Auto only here, Medical reasons- read motorsport accident can't apply pressure for long with left foot.

1st Auto was a 3 speed Suzuki Vitara, then I Bought my Galant, and the Agro which is great with its MMT box, also My Sambar is 3spd Auto

Prefer manuals just because autos tend to rev very high than I like before changing gear, and also I hate having to sit on the brakes when in start-stop traffic.

One thing I really love about my diesel Yaris over my old petrol fiesta is that it will idle at 3-4mph in 1st gear, and if I leave 1-1.5 car lengths I can often idle through most start-stop traffic without ever touching the brakes :)

Tangential n00b question: What the heck is double declutching for anyway?

I have a vague idea of what it involves (i.e. depress clutch, go to neutral first, release clutch, sync speeds, depress clutch, select gear, release clutch blah moo) but I never understood why the extra step of 'engaging' neutral is needed (e.g. When I change, I pick my gear and sync the engine speeds at the same time while I'm holding down the clutch)

If I have a choice then my cars will be auto EVERY time :yes:

Why the hell do we have those stupid little wiggle sticks in the floor I have no idea :blink: Let the car do the work and the engine will always be happy :thumbsup:

Seriously, my last car, the 350Z, had to be manual as stupid Mr Nissan never sold the tiptronic box over here.... ah but then auto will be on the 370Z so sports/GT cars can be autos too :P I have had auto cars for 27 years now and my forthcoming Avensis will be the same.... yes I want my car to do the gear changing for me :)

Ok I am a lazy driver but I don't think I am a pirate :arrgg-matey: :huh::lol:

I was very happy with my twin turbo auto Soarer. The 1JZ engine matched the auto gearbox very well, responsive and stacks of torque with the auto box.

But then again I like the manual Aygo. Don't think it has to be either / or, you can enjoy both.

Paul.

I prefer driving a manual because then you're in control and can adjust to various circumstances if and when needed. I've driven an auto a couple of times briefly and didn't enjoy it. I like to change gear and quit enjoy it. An auto does it all for you and from what I understand can be quite sluggish so all in all, quite boring.

I prefer driving a manual because then you're in control and can adjust to various circumstances if and when needed. I've driven an auto a couple of times briefly and didn't enjoy it. I like to change gear and quit enjoy it. An auto does it all for you and from what I understand can be quite sluggish so all in all, quite boring.

You have obviously never driven a decent auto then ;)

Ask anyone who saw my old grey supra in action... there was nothing sluggish about it! - infact I was quicker arounf the 'ring in that then I was in black twin turbo manual!

Tail out on demand and long held drifts etc..

The main thing that hindered performance was grip... back end stepping out at 70 in the dry (admitedly cold) is never good!!

.... from what I understand can be quite sluggish so all in all, quite boring.

I am totally with Karma on this one.... the old saying that 'autos are sluggish' is just that.... old!

Modern auto boxes are very efficient and at times can be more efficient, as far as mpg is concerned, than a manual box. Those guys on here that have driven a tiptronic style of box will surely confirm that auto can be great fun if used properly :yes:

I am looking forward to getting my new Avensis with the tiptronic CVT box, it has the steering wheel change paddles and this could prove to be good fun if used at the right time :D

The CVT tiptronic was a bit of a dispointment IMO (sorry) I had a play with an IS250 with it and the delay between hitting the paddle and it changing was too long and the whole thing felt a little slushy to me.

10/10 for a smooth fuss free drive though, and a huge improvmemnt on the old CVT Volvos lol

The CVT tiptronic was a bit of a disappointment IMO (sorry) I had a play with an IS250 with it and the delay between hitting the paddle and it changing was too long and the whole thing felt a little slushy to me

You do have a point with regard to the delay issue.... I found it OK with my previous cars as I owned them so I guess I simply got accustomed to it, maybe it is an anticipation thing that one gets used to :huh:

I learnt to drive in a manual and all my cars since passing the driving test in 2003 have been manual too.

Infact I have never driven an auto yet..

Having driven my GF's (without benefits :crybaby: ) Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Automatic, I must say that it was a pleasure to drive, once I got used to no clutch or gear lever again. Kept pushing down with my left foot & nothing there :lol:

Having driven my GF's (without benefits :crybaby: ) Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Automatic, I must say that it was a pleasure to drive, once I got used to no clutch or gear lever again. Kept pushing down with my left foot & nothing there :lol:

What benefits B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links