Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Woes

wobbler

Hi all,

I've been having a few issues starting from cold for a few months now whereby the Battery is flat when I come out to go to work in the mornings. I changed the Battery 4 months ago and all was well until last month when the car was left for 2 days and then was flat again. I managed to jump start although it took ages to get enough power through to start, then it was fine again until this morning. I got in and the Battery was completely flat as it struggled to even light up the dash.

I tried jumping it with my mates 4x4 but again could not get enough juice through as although the lights came back I could only get a quick turnover then dead again. I have given up and come into work now so can anyone help please?

Sorry, its a 04 D4D T4.

Hi all,

I've been having a few issues starting from cold for a few months now whereby the battery is flat when I come out to go to work in the mornings. I changed the battery 4 months ago and all was well until last month when the car was left for 2 days and then was flat again. I managed to jump start although it took ages to get enough power through to start, then it was fine again until this morning. I got in and the battery was completely flat as it struggled to even light up the dash.

I tried jumping it with my mates 4x4 but again could not get enough juice through as although the lights came back I could only get a quick turnover then dead again. I have given up and come into work now so can anyone help please?

Sorry, its a 04 D4D T4.

hello mate

i ve been having the same issue but onn my previous car. the matter is your new/exist Battery loses too much electrisity. the possible foult is of glow plugs relay (!!!). yes once it has happened i started the enfine by jump and after got to work and left the car for a all the day. after have finished my work i tried to start the engine but the dashboards lights were so dark. i asked friend to help with jump starting again in order to buy new Battery. ok i have installed it and in the morning - the same result. i have jump started again and got to an el workshop explaining the problem. after have investigated an el engineer told me the relay contacts were cleanned and carbon removed. after he confirmed me that alternator gives a full Battery charging. Check with this relay first. Cheers/Igor

Many thanks for your help Igor, is the relay easy to find and clean? Could you describe where it is on the engine please?

Hi all,

I've been having a few issues starting from cold for a few months now whereby the battery is flat when I come out to go to work in the mornings. I changed the battery 4 months ago and all was well until last month when the car was left for 2 days and then was flat again. I managed to jump start although it took ages to get enough power through to start, then it was fine again until this morning. I got in and the battery was completely flat as it struggled to even light up the dash.

Sorry, its a 04 D4D T4.

When jump starting through boost leads, if the Battery on your car is really flat, leave the boost leads coupled up from the donor vehicle (with it's engine running) for 10 minutes before attempting to start your vehicle. The flat Battery is absorbing so much power that the donor Battery and boost leads will not supply enough power to start your vehicle as well as what the battery is drawing.

After 10 minutes your battery should have absorbed enough power not to hinder the start.

Hope you find the scource of the power drain, don't discount the battery as being at fault. It isn't unknown for new batteries to fail, although not very common.

Many thanks for your help Igor, is the relay easy to find and clean? Could you describe where it is on the engine please?

hello

try to locate it with good electrician. it must be close to the engineeither from starboard or portside.

besides some pictures must be available in your manual.

Good Luck/Igor