Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump

Jonny5

Hi, Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace a faulty water pump on a 1997 Reg petrol Toyota avensis 1.8 GLS. If any mechanic could give me a quick summary please.

Thanks

Hi, Can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace a faulty water pump on a 1997 Reg petrol Toyota avensis 1.8 GLS. If any mechanic could give me a quick summary please.

Thanks

hello

i do not see any problems to replace this unit.

First of all you must be sure you have to change it. What are the issues with this unit?

Temp rising or what?

Up-datde it shortly

Cheers/Igor

Thanks

hello

First of all you must be sure you have to change it. What are the issues with this unit?

Temp rising or what?

Up-datde it shortly

Cheers/Igor

Hi . There is water leakage from the water pump area.The coolant expansion tank doesn't hold any water, it all leaks away and the car does overheat

Thanks

hello

Temp rising or what?

Up-datde it shortly

Cheers/Igor

Hi . There is water leakage from the water pump area.The coolant expansion tank doesn't hold any water, it all leaks away and the car does overheat

what is the VIN -- please type it.

thanks

Thanks

hello

Temp rising or what?

Up-datde it shortly

Cheers/Igor

the VIN is SB164ABN10EO22877

thanks

Thanks

hello

Temp rising or what?

Up-datde it shortly

Cheers/Igor

the VIN is SB164ABN10EO22877

thanks

ok well noted

the following has to be done:

- drain coolant from any side of cyl block plug to have it drained less that the pump bottom fitting stud level.

- release and remove driving belt;

- unscrew and remove the fan;

- unscrew all seven studs nuts;

- take a wooden hummer and kick the pump case to release it from thhe gasket;

- take a screw driver and try to separet it from the gasket;

- remove an old gasket;

- clean the cyl block mounting flange;

- unpack the new pump;

- take a die and have all studs threaded ends calibrated;

- use a silicone (T=100 C degrees) to have joining surfases thin covered;

- put on new gasket and pun on new pump on the studs;

- have all nuts tighten in cross (180 degrees);

- be sure the pump shaft is rotated smoothly before the fan is installed;

- install the fan and have it tighten;

- instal driving belt and adjust it;

- open the expansion tank and add coollant having roated the engine to remove an air from the system;

- remain the expantion tank unclosed and start the engine on iddle speed;

- check with both coolant level in the tant and engine temp by hand;

- once the coolant level is stable - add some more collant to be sure thhe level is in limits (marks) as punched on this tank;

- close the lid;

- wash your hands;

- take a beer afterwards .

That is all

Cheers/Igor

:)

Cheers for your time and effort Igor ,much appreciated. I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers for your time and effort Igor ,much appreciated. I'll let you know how i get on.

do not forget to drink a beer otherwise the pump will not work well !!!

:D :thumbsup:

That is true. In fact, it might have been a lack of beer consumption that caused the pump to fail in the first place.

That is true. In fact, it might have been a lack of beer consumption that caused the pump to fail in the first place.

remmber dont drink and drive.

but drink and change engine components criticl to the workings = good

The repair is fully explained in the Haynes Manual - Either Avensis or Carina E. The setup is identical. Tools required must include a deep offset 10mm ring spanner and locking pliers. Consider changing the timing belt at the same time as the old one is going to get soaked.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links