Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Losing Water- Water Pump?

bassett19

Hi All, I would appreciate some help,

My 1999 Avensis (94000miles) has been losing water, getting progressively worse over the last few months. I took it to a garage at first and they could find nothing wrong. Now however I am having to top it up every day.

Having read up on the forums it looks like it may be the water pump. I can see the water dripping from the lip that runs around the engine where the top of the sump joins the main bit of the engine, under the water pump. I havent yet been able to see water coming from anywhere above this though admittedly i havent yet been underneath it.

Can anyone suggest anything other than the pump to check before we look at replacing this and the timing belt? Also how much does a pump cost roughly? I understand it is possible to do this at home and my dad who was a mechanic will do the job, is there any essential tools/ technical info we would need to tackle this?

ps it seems to lose most water when it is cool rather than when the engine has been running for some time and warmed up

many thanks

bassett

Hi All, I would appreciate some help,

My 1999 Avensis (94000miles) has been losing water, getting progressively worse over the last few months. I took it to a garage at first and they could find nothing wrong. Now however I am having to top it up every day.

Having read up on the forums it looks like it may be the water pump. I can see the water dripping from the lip that runs around the engine where the top of the sump joins the main bit of the engine, under the water pump. I havent yet been able to see water coming from anywhere above this though admittedly i havent yet been underneath it.

Can anyone suggest anything other than the pump to check before we look at replacing this and the timing belt? Also how much does a pump cost roughly? I understand it is possible to do this at home and my dad who was a mechanic will do the job, is there any essential tools/ technical info we would need to tackle this?

ps it seems to lose most water when it is cool rather than when the engine has been running for some time and warmed up

many thanks

bassett

hello

in case the leak rate depends on the temp then check with all joints first. the cooling pump mechanical seal condition can be evaluated very simply having touch a special inspection hole under the pump seal (it must be clear vissible from the bottom). another way -- you can check and confirm all leaks spots visually. as to the pump cost - PM to Parts King or send a message directly at (http://www.lindoptoyota.co.uk/component/forme/?fid=1) and state obligatory yoou're a TOC member to have a discount (it's secret word :) ) Good luck

Igor

It depends which model you have (engine type etc) but a petrol engined water pump is around £75 to members, PM me the chassis number for exact prices

Kingo :thumbsup: