Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Threaten Pull-out From F1

Fujisan

Indeed they are all saying it. I can see both sides of the story but capping it to 40M seems far too low :eek: It takes vast amounts of money to run an F1 team, you might as well re-name F1 to Karting if you put a spending cap on it ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

I totally see where the problems arise from capping things and the other comments about creating a 2 tier field.

One thing Ive just been toying with in my head and I think I may well get shot down for this is as follows...

I very much enjoy the FIA GT Championship and events like Le Mans 24hr.

What would people say to a similar regeime in F1.... where by you had the 'F1' cars where spending would be unlimited and the cars remain at the pinacle of engineering excelence and say an 'F2' category. Where by the spending was capped and there was also a cap to the power output. This would also generate that same 2 tier grid, but at the same time potentially increasing the overall field and still encouraging the continuation of the 'Big' teams at the forefront of it all, Producing the fastest and more technologically advance vehicles.

But that is, as I say, whats rattling round in my head at this moment.

They should do away with budgets - and Qualifying for races.

The start order should be determined by the amount of money the team has spent. The team that spends the least on development etc should get pole position, and the team that has spent the most gets the back of the grid.

This way, teams will be more conscious of how spending affects their position and may show a bit of restraint. it also means that the most developed cars are behind everyone else at the start, encouraging some great racing and plenty of overtaking on show.

This idea would allow teams to spend as much as they like and also give us some great races.

I think everyone agrees the amount of money spent in F1 has to be reduced (just seeing those monstrous team motorhomes / press centres some teams cart around to particularly European races is disgusting) and the teams (FOCA) have made a good start to this end and have drawn up some good proposals.

But this idea of a budget cap will only make a small army of accountants happy, as they check every penny spent by the teams.

Mad Max's other bright idea of un-limited technical freedom for those teams working within the budget cap is another non starter. If one team found something really good, their cars would fly off into the distance every race until Bernie jumped up and down moaning that his TV audience was switching off in droves, then Mad Max and the FIA would said that it was too fast and unsafe and ban that teams inovation.

In the end I think the teams want stability, not Mad Max or the poison dwarf waking up one morning with a bright idea and then announcing to the world that they drawn up new rules for F1, that will start on a week on wednesday.