Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Rev Counter To Yaris D-4d For Driving Test

PrinzezzP

I bought a 2002 yaris D-4D in prep for my driving test.

How can I have a rev counter added so I can use it for my test car?

I saw an instructor with one fitted as extra when he was stopped at a traffic lights...

so I presume (know ) it can be done ..

as this models dash is facing the driver it cant be used in a test situ unless I have one added as extra (I presume?)

I have looked on line to buy one but have no idea which one to get.

<only been driving 7 months so forgive my stupidity!

any help would be gratefully appreciated!

the digital screen faces the driver.. so the tester cant see it.. so you have one wired in and its placed on the passenger side.

hope that makes sense

It should have a rev counter already!

:unsure:

It has..................BUT...

as this models dash is facing the driver it cant be used in a test situ
any help would be gratefully appreciated!
:rolleyes:

ok.. I'm waiting for the punch line here!

it has BUT???

I rang DSA and they said it can be used but if there's a rev counter extra added so its seen by the tester.

totally lost now.. more than when I drove into manchester the other day! >gulp<

ok.. I'm waiting for the punch line here!

it has BUT???

I rang DSA and they said it can be used but if there's a rev counter extra added so its seen by the tester.

totally lost now.. more than when I drove into manchester the other day! >gulp<

Sorry not meaning to loose you

It has a rev counter BUT...........as you said

as this models dash is facing the driver it cant be used in a test situ

NO PUNCH LINE

It might be an idea to ask the driving school with the additional rev counter where they got it fitted :thumbsup:

Well you could hook something like a Scangauge up to the car which can show speed, RPM etc., but the Scangauge is quite an expensive widgit and not really worth it if that's all you wanted it for!

Someone may know of a cheaper alternative that doesn't have all the other Scangauge features 'tho.

if only I'd have had a pen and paper at the traffic lights ;-)

Could this have been the driving school with the Yaris?:

http://www.thegrangedrivingschool.com/

It might be worth contacting them to find out what they use in their cars :thumbsup:

This has been discussed a bit before on this forum.................check out these posts (Maybe the Sat Nav might be an option):

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73756

wouldn't it be odd to ring and not ask for lessons but ask where they got the extra rev counter fitted?

I am hoping that someone on here has done it or knows how.

:-s

Are you really sure about the rev counter? I can't see any need for a rev counter - many cars don't have them fitted at all.

I can see a need for a speedometer that the tester can see though....

This is what the government's own web site says:

Category B - cars and vans

Cars or vans presented for test must be:

* a four wheeled vehicle of no more than 3500 kilograms (kg) maximum authorised mass (MAM)

* capable of a speed of at least 100 kilometres per hour (km/h) or 62.5 miles per hour (mph)

The car or van must also be fitted with:

* a seatbelt for the examiner

* a passenger head restraint, this needn't be adjustable but must be fitted as an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' type head restraints aren't permitted

* an interior mirror for the examiner's use

* L-plates displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle but not interfering with the driver's or examiner's view

* a speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour

The vehicle must be legal and roadworthy and have no warning lights showing ie the airbag warning light.

Convertible vehicles

Some convertible vehicles are unsuitable for the driving test eg the Ford KA convertible and Mini convertible due to the lack of all-round vision for the examiner. If you propose to use a convertible vehicle for the driving test please check its suitability when you book.

I don’t have the digital screen in my Yaris hence the confusion. I didn’t realise examiners needed a rev counter. What do they do with cars that don’t have them fitted as standard?

If the examiner can’t see the rev counter then he won’t be able to see the speedo? I would have thought that was more important and a legal requirment?

speedometer!

ok now i look a fool..

that's the one they need to see and I don't have on show...

same question stands,

how on earth do i get one of these so a tester can see it if i use my own car for my test ( not my first test!)

Yaris is one of the most commonly used cars by driving instructors. Search google images you may just find an image showing the inside of a driving school Yaris car.

speedometer!

ok now i look a fool..

that's the one they need to see and I don't have on show...

groan.gif

brick.gif

So you don’t get confused, the speedo is the one on the right :thumbsup:

speedo.jpg

That makes the "Sat Nav" solution an even better idea!

And you are not looking like a fool.................It would have been foolish if you had not asked the question in the first place :)

The fools on here are those that do not understand and make fun of you ;)

The fools on here are those that do not understand and make fun of you ;)

Easy Tiger... :boxing:

lol..

its ok.. I can take it ;-)

wayhayyy

TVOR.. mines digital hunny.. so don't have the dials ;-)

revs/speed...

you say tomato..I say tomato!! :P

Not really the same thing is it. You have been driving 7 months, this isnt your first test and you dont know the diiference between a rev counter and speedo?

the word rev counter was given to me by reading another forum...

I felt it better to mention an actual device that simply say "the thing that's tells you what speed you are going"

either way I have already mentioned above my error in wording.. i see no reason why you would need to mention my stupidity again

:)

When it comes to cars I know how to drive well if not how to word things right.

I have a degree but not in cars...

hopefully I can get some good advice on this forum and solve my car ignorance :-)

TVOR.. mines digital hunny.. so don't have the dials ;-)

That is probably a good thing as you won’t get confused by the dials. Some rev counters show x100r/min and look very similar to the speedo. Fortunately the Toyotas I’ve seen have revs shown x1000r/min thus only having a single digit :thumbsup:

I have a another car that's not Toyota that has dials.. its not confusing to look at when driving.. just finding the correct word for it was lost to me at the time I posted this.. ;-)

now to pass and drive the bloomin' cars alone!

thanks for your help I appreciate it.

wanted to add an update on this situ as I feel it will help other out...

You don't need to have a speedometer that the driving TESTER can see.

as long as you cover all the other things for using your own car on your test you are fine to use the Yaris.

:-)

this is in UK...so check out if its any difference if you are anywhere else of course.

I have a another car that's not Toyota that has dials.. its not confusing to look at when driving.. just finding the correct word for it was lost to me at the time I posted this.. ;-)

now to pass and drive the bloomin' cars alone!

thanks for your help I appreciate it.

The speedo reading both miles per and kilometres per is actually a UK legal requirement any hoo-ha! So any vehicle not doing so is not really road legal!

The Yaris actually cheats this rule by being capable of being switched from one to the other, unlike dials which have both on the reading plate. B)

With the afore mentioned convertible's, this is more to do with the safety of the examiner... a suitable vehicle MUST have a solid roof, so a folding metal one can be used, not a soft top!

Another missed point is that the vehicle MUST be right hand drive! Obvious, really!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links