Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Adjusted Their Throttle Cable?

Lee_G

Ricc's played with my cable... and Key's.... and Chay's.... ;)

1/2 inch play in gaz's cable, minute amount on keys, and chays had about a cm!! lol.

good call tho, supprising how many people dont check it :) gain back that missing poke! tighten your length! :P

mine has a fair bit of play on the pedal aswell. need to get that sorted

can anyone make a thread on how to do this? would be great help was going to give it a go today.

I'd give it a go!

Any free mod like that is great in my book.

I DEMAND A TUTORIAL!!

with pictures and detailed instructions.

:lol:

I adjusted mine when I first got the car, because there was a little play in the cable and the accelerator didnt respond to my foot too well I kept stalling on hills lol.

Its really easy to do, you just need a couple of spanners. Open the bonnet and you can see cable running across the upper right of your engine cover to the throttle mechanism bolted to the the lower mid right of your engine. Give the cable a tug to find how much slack you have in it. Then its just a case of adjusting - you can see the adjuster on the cable held by a bracket that it slips into, you will have to slide back the rubber protector so that you have something to grip onto underneath with your spanner on the upper end and again grip another spanner on the nut on lower end and finally place a spanner on the nut in the middle to loosen.

Once the adjuster is semi loose, there wont be any harm adjusting it with your engine on, leave it in neutral (ideally with someone holding the clutch in and helping) and just play with accelerator until your happy and then tighten it. Just be careful not to drop a spanner into anything moving :)

Its difficult to explain, but if you have a look you will see what I mean - piece of cake.

You can make it as sensitive as you want, just make sure you dont adjust it so much that it leaves your throttle part open otherwise you'll be idling high and will waste fuel. Picies since its raining and I'm the best part of bored -

post-41177-1242559270_thumb.jpg

post-41177-1242559306_thumb.jpg

Thank you,

I going to bookmark this page and then I'll save it for when I get my engine running again.

I'm assuming that the 4A-GE is very similar?

tried doing this again today but i cant seem to get the bottom bolt undone? its just to stiff and now that i have already opened the top one i cant tighten it much. dammit!

Stupid question... Used WD40? xD

All of ours come undone quite easily..

erm..... hand and 10milly usually does the trick. never really seen one seized solid! :|

and if youve not done it before you WONT need a how to, look at the throttle body, press/flick/wiggle the cable and see how much play is there. tighten by spinning threaded cable carrier. leave the engine running whilst doing it tho... then u can make sure you dont alter idle ;)

hmm thats odd, one of the nuts comes undone easily the top one but the bottom one doesnt, but now from trying to do the top one its just spinning and putting a groove into the metal bit the two nuts get tightened on. damn and blast! Iv removed most of the free play i think tho.

if you want to take a chance some dyna grip type pliers clamping the upper half on the thread may allow you to loosed the lower nut. just be careful not to overdo the grip as you can crush the threads, and also crush the metal sheath onto the cable itself and it may well end up sticking or preventing it from moving AT all. :)

You should be able to get a small spanner around that metal tube (it has a groove) under the rubber protector by my thumb in the first picture which will hold it steady while you turn the bottom nut.

Wouldnt dyna grip the thread incase ya round it off, wouldnt be so adjustable then. I did that on my pressure washer, oops. :)

Give it a few drops of 3 in 1 maybe?

That stuff has been like miracle cream to me with rusted bolts in the engine bay. ;)

Apart from that radiator fan...... :( :lol:

hes already tried wd-40 kp.

Indeed he has.

Just for the sake of being stubborn, I'm going to say that 3 in 1 is different and so may produce a different outcome. :P

juist checked mine probab nearly a cm in free play in the cable, if i tighten this down so its only roughly a little lose is that the way to do it?

juist checked mine probab nearly a cm in free play in the cable, if i tighten this down so its only roughly a little lose is that the way to do it?

technically it should be as tight as possible without causing idle rev speeed to alter. :)

hmm thats odd, one of the nuts comes undone easily the top one but the bottom one doesnt, but now from trying to do the top one its just spinning and putting a groove into the metal bit the two nuts get tightened on. damn and blast! Iv removed most of the free play i think tho.

The bottom nut was a nightmare ...I eventually got it to move... I noticed some sort of gunge on the threads were the bottom nut was I think it was glued on with thread tight in the factory when the car was made to stop it from moving....

i still cant move mine at all, i think i messed up by opening the top nut as it scraped away the metal bung thing it sits on and now when i try put force on the bottom nut the whole thing spins! dammit

thats it Farhan, you only have 1 option left... and its pure cowboy im affraid! .... bend the throttle cable bracket. HAHAHAHA :lol:

Hahaha, what a mess, I feel somewhat responsible now...

So you have 3 spanners and you've screwed the nuts on hand tight at least...

One on the top nut,

One on the metal piece above the top nut,

One on the bottom nut.

With the spanner on the top nut and another on the metal piece at the end on the cable conduit held firmly - turn the bottom nut anti clockwise to loosen.

You almost need 3 hands, but you can hold the top two spanners with one hand ok. :) Once all the nuts are loose, you can move them up and down the thread to adjust play in the cable.