Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal Protection

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi everyone,

I've started drilling rust off of my Twinny, and have managed to get a few bits polished very nicely such as the bonnet release catch.

But the problem I'm facing is that it will eventually rust over again, and will just get ruined. Is there anything that I can get to protect the metal without sacrificing the shine?

All help is appreciated as always,

KPARRIS-JONES

varnish or lacquer?

Metal Laquer as stated. Speak to a decent motorfactor, or one better, paint and body supplies ;)

Alright, I'll go for the metal lacquer to stop the rust.

The guy who painted Schizo Milly will be able to get something for me.

Thanks guys. ;)

I did wonder why you were asking knowing that you knew such a person. ;) Clearly wanted our expert opinions HAHA

I did wonder why you were asking knowing that you knew such a person. ;) Clearly wanted our expert opinions HAHA

Yeh lol. He's the type of guy who you have to tell exactly what you want, or he'll look at you as if you're mad and he has no idea what you're talking about.

I wanted you to give me an idea of what I had to ask him for, but to not seem like such a nonce, I had to do it indirectly. :D

Yeh lol. He's the type of guy who you have to tell exactly what you want, or he'll look at you as if you're mad and he has no idea what you're talking about.

I wanted you to give me an idea of what I had to ask him for, but to not seem like such a nonce, I had to do it indirectly. :D

You learn something new every day on here :thumbsup: ..........................Even during Half-Term :P ;) :lol:

You learn something new every day on here :thumbsup: ..........................Even during Half-Term :P ;) :lol:

I'm learning here?!?!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:giljotiini:

yep the great school of life, best education there is :lol:

Laquer on polished metal inevitably comes off or gets moisture behind it.

Also body laquer around engine bits tends to fail.

Best bet for prolonged shine is either chrome plating or chrome effect powder coating.

Laquer on polished metal inevitably comes off or gets moisture behind it.

Also body laquer around engine bits tends to fail.

Best bet for prolonged shine is either chrome plating or chrome effect powder coating.

Totally agree, the slightest lift or crack is enough to let moisture in. Look at the way stock alloys spider.

I take solice in the fact that I can forget evrything that I learn. Even if I don't want to.... :lol:

I'll check the prices for the chrome plating. Maybe if I send everything away to be done in one go, it won't be such a bad price. Until I save the cash, I'll prime the metal, then rub it off again to be sent away for chroming.

Thanks again guys :)

Get a sandblaster ;)

If you are to make a habit of doing up old cars it'll be your friend.