Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-reg Yaris, Problems Selecting Reverse

greenstarthree

Hi All,

Have owned a 1.0 T-reg Yaris GS vvT for about 4 weeks now, loving it overall but have had my first niggle.....

It's having problems selecting reverse gear. All forward gears are find and the clutch doesnt seem to be slipping at all, but when i come to park the lever just won't slot into reverse (my reverse is where 6th would be, with no "catch" to access reverse)

double declutching doesn't seem to make any difference, nor does rolling forward/back a touch, just seems to be moving the lever around until you get lucky really.

As it's about 10 years old now I'm fearing the worst about the clutch, but as its not slipping in forward gears I wondered if there were any other suggestions i could try??

Thanks very much

Adam

i don't think it will be the clutch if it works using the forward gears, could well be the gear linkages or a worn cable,

ahh, so it's definitely a trip to the garage job i suppose?

are mending the linkage/cable both easier (and cheaper :P ) jobs than the clutch?

Cheers

Adam

ahh, so it's definitely a trip to the garage job i suppose?

are mending the linkage/cable both easier (and cheaper :P ) jobs than the clutch?

Cheers

Adam

just check the linkage and cable for any excess play, does the gear lever feel slack or any excess movement, as you say the car is 10 years old so the cable and linkages could be well worn, should be cheaper to replace than a clutch

hmm, have to be honest I wouldn't really know where to start with checking the linkage/cable themselves, is it an obvious thing to find as i'd definitely have a look with a bit of guidance?

the gear lever is a little loose but until now i've imagined it was wear and tear just on the lever itself as all the forward gears are a very easy to change from/to.

also would it be worth it to have the gearbox oil changed as i've read its recommended to do so every couple of years??

thanks again

if you're not mechanically minded i would take it to a garage, it could be a fiddly job adjusting the cables, with regards to the gearbox oil i change mine every 2 years, but thats my own personal preference

Same car, same age, same problem, its nothing, trust me. If it doesn't go into reverse straight away, stick it into neutral, take you're foot off the clutch, then clutch down and try again (with a little bit more force) and it should be fine, just one of those little inconveniences! ;)

Yeah, I'd say it isn't really a big issue. It's fairly common among old cars isn't it? My friends Rover 25 often does this.

Hi All,

Have owned a 1.0 T-reg Yaris GS vvT for about 4 weeks now, loving it overall but have had my first niggle.....

It's having problems selecting reverse gear. All forward gears are find and the clutch doesnt seem to be slipping at all, but when i come to park the lever just won't slot into reverse (my reverse is where 6th would be, with no "catch" to access reverse)

double declutching doesn't seem to make any difference, nor does rolling forward/back a touch, just seems to be moving the lever around until you get lucky really.

As it's about 10 years old now I'm fearing the worst about the clutch, but as its not slipping in forward gears I wondered if there were any other suggestions i could try??

Thanks very much

Adam

My previous Yaris was a 54 Reg and I had the same problem with getting into reverse gear. The dealer said it is normal and nothing to worry about. Just put the gear into neutral, take foot off the clutch and hand brake on and then put into reverse gear again. The dealer said the cogs needed to stop spinning in between the gear changes.

having had another play around ive noticed what i'm generally doing is trying to go from 5th straight into reverse, (pulling up in 5th can't be good for the brake pads neither..... :rolleyes: ) which is when the problem occurs. if i choose 4th (or any other gear for that matter) and then reverse, even without declutching and handbrake, it tends to go straight in.

not sure of a technical reason why but it does sort of make sense as i suppose going from the highest gear straight into reverse isn't generally good practice anyway!

anyhoo, at least I wont be sat in the middle of the road looking for reverse anymore!

thanks everyone for your help

Adam

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links