Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Judder

andye

can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to check for . I have developed an intermitant brake judder on my 2002 avensis d4d . thanx

Vibration felt through the steering wheel when braking is often a symptom of warped brake discs. If the vibration gets faster as your road speed increases it's almost certainly discs. It's a bit odd to be intermittent tho.

can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to check for . I have developed an intermitant brake judder on my 2002 avensis d4d . thanx

intermitant ?

if the discs are warped.. they will always judder,

have u checked ur tyres and made sure they are evenly worn

intermitant ?

Have a look at your discs, can you see a disc pad shaped mark on the disc? (or even a few) If so, the pads have sweated into the surface of the disc causing a patch of disc that has a different coefficient of friction to the rest of the (unmarked) disc, this unevenness causes a judder and will vary with the 'timing' of these patches from left brake to right brake. It will show up by travelling at a low speed and gently applying the brake and holding the pedal constant, you will feel the brakes varying slightly as it slows down, a sort of brakes on/off effect.

If you have a local friendly garage with brake test rollers, pop it on the rollers and gently apply the brake with both rollers running, the brake reading will fluctuate up and down.

Discs very seldomly actually warp it just feels like they have, it's more likely to be sweat marks.

intermitant ?

Have a look at your discs, can you see a disc pad shaped mark on the disc? (or even a few) If so, the pads have sweated into the surface of the disc causing a patch of disc that has a different coefficient of friction to the rest of the (unmarked) disc, this unevenness causes a judder and will vary with the 'timing' of these patches from left brake to right brake. It will show up by travelling at a low speed and gently applying the brake and holding the pedal constant, you will feel the brakes varying slightly as it slows down, a sort of brakes on/off effect.

If you have a local friendly garage with brake test rollers, pop it on the rollers and gently apply the brake with both rollers running, the brake reading will fluctuate up and down.

Discs very seldomly actually warp it just feels like they have, it's more likely to be sweat marks.

Thanx for the advice .i,ve had the front tyres balanced , this has helped improve the braking . I,m now going to get one of my colleges at work to give the discs a skim ( it,s free).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links