Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The First Drive In A Yaris 1.4d

mela

Hi

Now I've got my Yaris 1.4D 5 P .

It's my first diesel car.

First impressions:

- a little noisy ( but all the yaris and aygos are, so... I think is even more normal for a diesel)

- fast ( Who had a 1.0 before or an aygo notice the difference especially when you drive in the motorway and you can leave other cars you used not to behind)

- economical ( let's see how much through the time)

- Fun drive and easy to drive

If you have a 1.4 D what do you think about? :rolleyes:

Love my diesel yaris. Much nicer to drive than the petrols, pretty damn economical too. Best MPG so far has been 65mpg, but still waiting for the engine to loosen up.. it's only done 4000 miles!

Don't think I could ever go back to petrol again.

IMO Can't beat the sound of a petrol engine. There may be several gains to having a diesel engine, but it sounds like a bucket of bolts. And economy will depend on where you drive it. I bet my 1.0 is more economical than the 1.4D around the town, but the diesel will be FAR better on the duel carrigeways. But all things considered, fancy a swap for a weekend? :P

Diesel is the way forward, i always said "diesel is tractor fuel" ... ile never get rid of my petrol car, but when i drove a friends Yaris D4D, i was impressed.

SO impressed that i went and got myself a D4D SR, i dont think ile ever go back, granted you dont get to rag the engine up into the 7-8K RPM, and you DO have to adjust your driving ever so slightly.

But there a dream to drive and once warm, there quiet and smooth to drive, plus in a little car, its nice to have that "quiet" torque early on in the rev range. and as for MPG, i got 543 from a tank "motorways" and 441 in and around London.. not bad really, for what... 40 litres of Derv.

Diesel is the way forward....ever been behind one when its floored...dirty, smelly,smokey

Good for the environment???... yeah right

Why are the diesel cars more expensive than the petrol ones??

There must be a reason, no???

Today is my second day in driving my diesel yaris and I'm pleased for it. It is really nice. Sometimes it doesn't look like diesel and is quick ( 90 horses) . I like it.

I've always wondered that. Figured it was mainly because diesels were not as popular as petrols, but maybe also because the engines need to be better built.

I've had mine for a good few months now, and I think it's the best car I ever owned :D

It's so light for a diesel (Engine's only 5kg heavier than the one in my last car, and that was a petrol!), and the extra torque is nice at all speeds. I drive around a lot of hilly places and it's nice that I don't have to drop a gear if I don't want to - The turbo just kicks in and along I go :D

The car has a decent rev range for a diesel too so you can short-shift and drive for economy, or run the gears out longer for more a stronger pull.

Another benefit I've only begun to notice is the A/C - On my old car, you could *feel* the A/C lag on the engine, but you can barely tell on the D4D :D

Why are the diesel cars more expensive than the petrol ones??

There must be a reason, no???

Today is my second day in driving my diesel yaris and I'm pleased for it. It is really nice. Sometimes it doesn't look like diesel and is quick ( 90 horses) . I like it.

More robust steel engines, cost much more to manufacture. If you think about how they work then its understandable. I learned in a Mini Cooper D, which had amazing torque which I could not fully "utalise" due to the presence of my instructor...:P

Diesel is the way forward....ever been behind one when its floored...dirty, smelly,smokey

Good for the environment???... yeah right

Its a common mistake that people think the "Dirty smoke" from a derv is worse than petrol.. 1st Mistake.. its not the case.. Petrol engines emit HC & CO2 Soot emissions. Derv engines emit NOx and partials (visible soot), so they both emit polutioin... just the diesel emitions are visable, and less harmfull than petrol emitions.

NB - I said LESS harmfull, not HARMLESS for all you greenhouse junkies out there.

Both fuel types emit CO2, but diesel emits less CO2 per amount of load "energy" the engine makes. Petrol engines also require a more refines fuel and the engines are less robust, thus.. more energy wasted.

And also... i drive a toyota... so im always "The Car Infront"

I really like the 1.4 D-4D SR's and general Mark2s with that engine. I had to have one as a courtesy car for about a week, doing 47 mile round trips a day on partial country lanes, steep hills and some nice wide a roadage and dual carriage ways... really did the job nicely. If I didn't want a particularly fast car, (or wasn't working my way up to more performance orientated cars) I'd be quite happy with the 1.4 D-4D yaris.

I have a 2004 d4d yaris and i love it. The noise thing isn't an issue. My last car was a petrol and needed to be revved to move off. The diesel yaris needs no accelerator input to move off. It does take a while to warm up in the winter but i have fixed that with a grille block. Improves mpg too, not that it needed it! My last tank got me 822 miles and that was 42 litres. I fill up every three weeks and yes, i do get cobwebs in my filler cap!

I do have to rally it a little once a week and it smokes only a little. It also helps with compression and preventing my exhaust system from going solid with soot! Not good.

I bought a new Yaris D-4D in 2003, and got the tech data on the engine. It is just the same as the petrol ones ;--- 4 wet-liner cylinders cast as a unit from aluminium, with a hard alloy coating on the bores. This is then fused permanently into the alloy block, so you can't change liners instead of reboring, but you can skim the block, if the head gasket blows, and a few have.

This gives a very light engine, with only the turbo, intercooler, and fuel injection adding weight. So, the result is a light front-end to the car, with no cast-iron block to make the car run wide on fast corners.

I think you will find that the new 1.33 L petrol engine which replaces the iron-block 1.4, is also all-alloy.

Ford have been using this alloy-block & head design for a long time, and that includes current 1.4 and 1.6 tdci's, and petrols from 1.25/1.4/1.6/1.7, puma derived range units. ( P.S. the 1.4 L tdci is a nail because they omitted an intercooler, so it can't even match the 8-valve 1364cc Yaris's 74 BHP, or its torque figure, in my old '53 reg car ).

My old Yaris gave 55 MPG in town, and 67 MPG on "A" road trips. The revised engine is peaky in power & torque delivery, as it is still an 8-valve, and has been boosted using multi-jet injectors, variable-geometry turbo, and revised engine-management mapping. As a result you will have to stir the gears more than in the older model.