Do Not Sell My Personal Information

56 Plate Yaris, Starting Problems

tigger13

Im wondering if anyone else is having similar issues. I bought this car 2 month ago with 24k on clock and since having it I seem to have an intermitant issue with starting it, I have had it in with toyota 4 times now to no avail they are saying there is no issues :(

It will be bk with them tomorrow for visit no 5.

I have a old 99 yaris and have always sworn that toyota are the best but this has me baffeled :unsure:

Err, more info?? :rolleyes:

Is it petrol or diesel? :unsure:

Im wondering if anyone else is having similar issues. I bought this car 2 month ago with 24k on clock and since having it I seem to have an intermitant issue with starting it, I have had it in with toyota 4 times now to no avail they are saying there is no issues :(

I have a old 99 yaris and have always sworn that toyota are the best but this has me baffeled :unsure:

You are remembering to fully depress the clutch whilst starting it?

Good point :thumbsup:

Sorry, its petrol, Yeah always fully depress the clutch. Its tries to turn over and does eventually fire up but can take 10 mins, I have to keep turning off the ignition and trying again or flooring the accelerator which isn't ideal. Toyota have said it's not the way I start the car however as it doesn't seem to do it when they have it for a few hrs and is not getting picked up on the computer they are stumped. They have tried a number of diffrent things as the rac came out last wk to start me and they have said its the spark plugs and the engine in being flooded, change the plugs should resolve the problem, Toyota have said no as only done 24k miles and they get changed at 40k but they did clean them and tweak a few things and it managed to start all the time for 10 days before the problem came bk.

Sorry, its petrol, Yeah always fully depress the clutch. Its tries to turn over and does eventually fire up but can take 10 mins, I have to keep turning off the ignition and trying again or flooring the accelerator which isn't ideal. Toyota have said it's not the way I start the car however as it doesn't seem to do it when they have it for a few hrs and is not getting picked up on the computer they are stumped. They have tried a number of diffrent things as the rac came out last wk to start me and they have said its the spark plugs and the engine in being flooded, change the plugs should resolve the problem, Toyota have said no as only done 24k miles and they get changed at 40k but they did clean them and tweak a few things and it managed to start all the time for 10 days before the problem came bk.

There should be no need to touch the accelerator when starting your Yaris. Although the plugs are intended to be changed at 40K, it is a pity that Toyota did not change them (possibly at your cost) whilst they were out for cleaning.

Strange that nothing was picked up on the diagnostic computer :unsure:

There should be no need to touch the accelerator when starting your Yaris. Although the plugs are intended to be changed at 40K, it is a pity that Toyota did not change them (possibly at your cost) whilst they were out for cleaning.

We thought the same strange nothing picked up on the computer. rac and toyota have said there should be no need to use accelerator but thats always gaurenteed to start any car.

Well picked car up and they have changed ingnition switch in hope it will resolve the issue however we have now decided to cut our losses and are going bk to pick another yaris of a diffrent yr tomorrow :lol: the people dealing with us have agreed this will be of no extra cost other than the extra for the newer car. They are going to try and resolve the issue before sending the car to auction.

Price of the electronic era - mechanic's don't exsist anymore, just "technicians". :rolleyes:

Seems you need to have a masters in IT to be able to service a car now-a-days! :lol:

We thought the same strange nothing picked up on the computer. rac and toyota have said there should be no need to use accelerator but thats always gaurenteed to start any car.

Well picked car up and they have changed ingnition switch in hope it will resolve the issue however we have now decided to cut our losses and are going bk to pick another yaris of a diffrent yr tomorrow :lol: the people dealing with us have agreed this will be of no extra cost other than the extra for the newer car. They are going to try and resolve the issue before sending the car to auction.

Pleased that it seems to be working out for you :thumbsup:

Pushing the accelerator will not necessarily guarantee to start a car....................normal procedure on a Yaris is to leave the accelerator alone whilst starting................(hot or cold)

Let us know how you get on............and Good Luck :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you requested an update so here goes...

Well changed the ignition switch and still having problems starting so have spoken to try and change car or get money bk having loads of issues. Gave in and today have allowed the service manager use the car for a wk and Im using a courtesy car ( which is a lovely 08 yaris :) ) When we dropped the car off iut seems to have blown a fuse in the engine so won't start or have any life Hopefully we'll get somewhere now they can see im not lying.