Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Con Performance

dr_roy

Hi,

My Avensis 1.8 (vvti) from 2002 is due a service soon. I have been thinking about the aircon and its performance.

Even on full blast its not really cold. The chaps at Toyota have offered to do bleed the system/check for leaks and refill it...but surely there must be some kind of spec for how cold the air is supposed to be.

Does anyone know how cold the air is supposed to be when the climate control is set to "16c" and fans are full and air is recirculating? I was thinking of using some low-tech (thermometer) to check temp of the air coming through the vents. Toyota must have some kind of spec for this.

Cheers

Hi,

My Avensis 1.8 (vvti) from 2002 is due a service soon. I have been thinking about the aircon and its performance.

Even on full blast its not really cold. The chaps at Toyota have offered to do bleed the system/check for leaks and refill it...but surely there must be some kind of spec for how cold the air is supposed to be.

Does anyone know how cold the air is supposed to be when the climate control is set to "16c" and fans are full and air is recirculating? I was thinking of using some low-tech (thermometer) to check temp of the air coming through the vents. Toyota must have some kind of spec for this.

Cheers

hello mate

i ve been reading all the manual thru but the data you need are not available there. These passport details can only be obtained from assembling plant where the cars are normally assembled. I deem all car's equipment is delivered there with certificates etc. As to precision of the temp set -- it is understood it is better to test it in sun proof area to prevent heating of salon. The temp sensor located/mounted on the dashboard mesure an actual temp inside theh salon, but the outside air tem sensor (located close to radiator/s area measures an air actual temp. Both signals are accumilated in computer and the final signal is received by thermo expansive valve that adjusts R134a boiling point after throttle valve. Normally each system has an inaccuracy (1-2 degrees) and this depends on purity of both temp sensors (outside/inside); salon filter condition; leakproof of the system whole. As to mine -- the temp set looks like thrue. I have repeatedly mearured inside temp and disclosed that the accuracy is 1-2 degrees.

I suppose this helps

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Cheers

Hi mate you'll probablly find changing the filter will sort the problem out i had the same thing mine is a T3X the a/c filter was

all bunged up with crap to change it you just undo the glove box and slide the filter out they are about 20 quid also if the

a/c needs topping up its cheeper to go to quick fit they do it for £45 good luck mate

David could be right about the filter but on the 2002 model it is situated in the top left of the driver footwell I think.

I had a 1998 model and to be fair the aircon was never up to much compared with other models right from new, after around 5 years it started to get worse, but when going round right hand bends I would get a blast of cooler air from it, this was cured by refilling it.

When doing the refill all the old coolant has to be removed it is then refilled by putting a specified weight of liquid in.

Hi,

Cheers

Hi mate you'll probablly find changing the filter will sort the problem out i had the same thing mine is a T3X the a/c filter was

all bunged up with crap to change it you just undo the glove box and slide the filter out they are about 20 quid also if the

a/c needs topping up its cheeper to go to quick fit they do it for £45 good luck mate

Hi,

I will check for the filter first. I am bit concerned if the A/C needs "topping up". I thought it was a sealed system and if it needs topping up its probably leaking? yes?

Now I am going to check howto remove the glove box.

Cheers

Hi,

Cheers

Hi,

I will check for the filter first. I am bit concerned if the A/C needs "topping up". I thought it was a sealed system and if it needs topping up its probably leaking? yes?

Cheers

its only a couple of screws i have always found it worth while investing in a hayes manual they are easy to follow

and can save you loads of dosh alot of jobs on cars can be done by yourself if you have a step by step guide.good luck mate let us know how you get on.

Hi,

Cheers

There are no set figures for air con outlet temperatures as it varies with ambient air temp. If ambient is 30c it's fighting like hell to get temp down compared to if it's ambient of 17c for example. Can be as low as 4c from the vents when working well.

To get it working at full tilt, needs emptying, vacuum testing for leaks, refilling with specified weight of refrigerant and specified amount of oil. Dye can also be added to aid leak detection for future problems.

P.S. Cabin filter only affects the amount of air coming through the system, has very little effect on the temp of air coming out of the vents.

To dr_roy.

Q.S. points out the exact way to test & re-gas system. But if you want to keep it simple, nip down to Halfords & buy your self a re-gas bottle with connection pipe. Just plug into low pressure side of system & re-gas system. That simple, connector pipe comes with gauge to tell you state of system. If your lucky you will not use the whole bottle, you could then make your money back by re-gassing someone elses system. Not the professional way to do it, but it works for me. Also you should really put your A/C on once a week & give it a good blast to keep it working properly. Change your pollen filter, you will be amazed at how filthy they become over a year of city driving.

Rgards, Beagh.

Hi,

Cheers

Hi,

Cheers

its only a couple of screws i have always found it worth while investing in a hayes manual they are easy to follow

and can save you loads of dosh alot of jobs on cars can be done by yourself if you have a step by step guide.good luck mate let us know how you get on.

First of all thanks to everyone so far!

I managed to the get the glove box out. No hassle really but...now where is the pollen filter? and how do I get it out? Please check the attached photo (picture quality is not great...).

post-29418-1244976093_thumb.jpg

The A/C is a sealed system, however over a period of time, especially if you DONT use the system on a regular basis, then the o ring seals shrink back and let out some gas. There is oil in the A/C system which is very important, just gassing the system up does not replace the oil in there, so it is very important to have a proper air con service and not just a re-gas. ALWAYS run the air con once or twice a week regardless of the outside weather, that way oil gets to circulate around the system, lessening the effect of the seals shrinking and losing gas. As mentioned above, the filter has no effect on how cold the system gets, just the rate of air flowing through it, there is no specific temperature it should go down to, but a fully charged system, left running for ten minutes or so, should get down to 4-5C, it is measured using a very simple thermometer

Kingo :thumbsup:

First of all thanks to everyone so far!

I managed to the get the glove box out. No hassle really but...now where is the pollen filter? and how do I get it out? Please check the attached photo (picture quality is not great...).

Isn't the pollen filter the grey foamy bit middle right on your picture?

• 2 weeks later...

Here it goes. I took her to Mr T for Re-gas AND replacing the pollenfilter. Airflow improved andthe A/C is now cooler.

I must have been a combination of things.

Thanks for all the hints and the advice.

Here it goes. I took her to Mr T for Re-gas AND replacing the pollenfilter. Airflow improved andthe A/C is now cooler.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this problem is exactly what I'm trying to sort out at the moment...

My Avensis is year 2000 D4-D five door. Behind the glovebox in ours is exactly what the original poster has in the photo - the foamy thing doesn't appear to be the pollen filter. So I took the driver's footwell carpet/panels apart (like it says in the owner's manual) - no pollen filter (that I can find). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looked inside the engine bay around the bulkhead but can't see any secret compartments or anything...

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this problem is exactly what I'm trying to sort out at the moment...

My Avensis is year 2000 D4-D five door. Behind the glovebox in ours is exactly what the original poster has in the photo - the foamy thing doesn't appear to be the pollen filter. So I took the driver's footwell carpet/panels apart (like it says in the owner's manual) - no pollen filter (that I can find). Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looked inside the engine bay around the bulkhead but can't see any secret compartments or anything...

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Being a bit sad and replying to my own post, but found where the pollen filter is - under the carpet behind the clutch pedal. Blower fan is storm force now...

Paul.

Thanks in advance

Paul.

Being a bit sad and replying to my own post, but found where the pollen filter is - under the carpet behind the clutch pedal. Blower fan is storm force now...

Paul.

Sweet. Can you snap a photo of it and explain if it was difficult to access?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We did a check at work on which car had the coldest A/C.

My avensis T180 (2006 model) went down to -15C out of the centre vents, beating a Volvo, citroen, new BMW 120d so it seems to be alright at that.

It was on a nice sunny day too! :D

Cheers. B)