Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris T Sport Bonnet Stuck

Cooperman

Hi All,

I was hoping to be able to post something cheerful and jolly and say hello to everybody on my first post.

I just picked up my first yaris yesterday evening (2001 T-Sport).

I absolutely love the car, i had to drive it 140 miles home, so i got a great run in it.

Only problem is, i cant open the bonnet now. The bonnet opened fine when i was looking at the car at the sellers, but when i got it home, it just would not open.

I think the cable has come disconnected on the catch under the bonnet.

The reason i think this is because originally when i tried to open it, there was resisitance (almost as if it was stuck), then it slowly got looser.

Now when i pull the cable, i can still hear the movement of the cable under the bonnet, but there is little resistance. :unsure:

Ive tried looking around, but cant seem to find a solution. It is possible to release the bonnet?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Tom (Cooperman)

Update: Just been to see big ol' Mr T and he is wanting £18 for the cable and 1-1.5hrs of of labour at £89 plus VAT.

Surely this cable incident cant be costing me £170 odd quid?!?!? :( Help!!

Get your fingers under the front of the bonnet and give it a gentle but firm pull.

Thanks for the reply reece,

Do you reckon that will work? I have tried it and it just dont seem to do anything.

I think its because the cable is no longer working at all.

I tried the 'push/pull/wiggle whilst pulling the cable' maneuver when it started to get loose :(

Thanks for the tip though matey.

Kind Regards

Tom

Sounds like the inner cable has snapped!

You may be able to access the catch from under the car, perhaps using some sort of tool to ping it with.

This is not unusual to go on cars but some are easier to open then others.... usually possible, though!

If you are not mechanically minded take it to the garage, could cost you less in the long run if you don't know what you are doing, trying to pull the bonnet up with you're hands will not work, unless you want to buy a new bonnet

Result ! :yahoo:

I managed to get it sorted. Was quite surprised how easy it was, once i thought about it logically.

I'm not going to list the details on here (in respect of others peoples car security), but the most difficult part

was trying to work out the mechanisim of the lock.

It turned out that the cable has just become disconnected under the bonnet.

Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it.

Tom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links