Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.0 S, Leather Steering Wheel Options

silverlining

Hi all,

I am a new member and have just purchased a W plate Yaris 1.0 S , for me and my teenager son to drive once he has passed his test.

I know that this model doesn't have power steering and at the moment, he hasn't complained too much about that !!

BUT, the steering wheel itself is awful, plastic, thin and bit slippery.

Does anyone know if a leather one from ANY other Toyota model will fit and / or any one has got one.

It does have a drivers airbag in it at the moment and i wanted to keep an airbag if poss.

Any help/ advice would be great.

Thanks in advance :D

Toyota did a leather wheel for the Yaris... Just get a complete unit from a scrapyard or breakers, if you can find one. make sure the bag has not deployed and you can change it or pay them to do it! I think it is possible to do at home but be careful and disconnecr the Battery well before starting to tinker!

BTW, are you SURE it doesn't have power steering? I thought it was standard accross the range, with some having the usual hydraulic, whilst others had an electric system. :unsure:

Toyota did a leather wheel for the Yaris... Just get a complete unit from a scrapyard or breakers, if you can find one. make sure the bag has not deployed and you can change it or pay them to do it! I think it is possible to do at home but be careful and disconnecr the battery well before starting to tinker!

BTW, are you SURE it doesn't have power steering? I thought it was standard accross the range, with some having the usual hydraulic, whilst others had an electric system. :unsure:

Thanks for the reply GAR,

The person I bought it off said that it didn't and that was one of the reasons he was selling it...the steering was a bit heavy. There isn't a reservoir for power steering fluid.

I have checked the tyre pressures ....they are correctly inflated and have read somewhere here that the S version(Basic) didn't have PSteering. The GS did on the mark1 apparently.

Could someone correct me if this is wrong.

GAR, when you say, a complete unit, i take it you mean just the wheel and airbag ....nothing else ? :)

CDX/T Spirit have leather steering wheel and airbag.

have read somewhere here that the S version(Basic) didn't have PSteering. The GS did on the mark1 apparently.

Could someone correct me if this is wrong.

The basic 1.0 S did not come with power steering as standard, however it was an option, so some S models will have it. If it's Jap built (VIN no. begins JTD) then this would have been hydraulic power steering, as opposed to electric, but like you say, yours won't have either, so tell your son to have his weetabix!!

Steering Wheel & Airbag £30 off a T Sport Click You have to send a message :thumbsup:

Thanks reece,

Althought the listing has finished, i e mailed him to find out more details. Cheers for the referral. ;)

Steering Wheel & Airbag £30 off a T Sport Click You have to send a message :thumbsup:

Thanks reece,

Althought the listing has finished, i e mailed him to find out more details. Cheers for the referral. ;)

Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

The dismantler should be able to advise... I recon it is modular... just remove and re-fit to your car, and replug any wiring that must deploy the bag. It MAY be worth checking that Toyota used the same steering wheel spline for all models rather than assume! In addition, the leather wheels are a little smaller than the plastic ones, hence more leverage will be needed to turn. If it is already heavy, you will make if marginally more so!