Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiring Kits For Rav

albert hall

Gentlemen

I have had a Brinks 13 pin towbar fitted independantly. I have purchased the loom from Toyota, this consists of 2 looms each in its own little box and each complete with a 7 pin socket, one black and one white. The principal one is 12N and the smaller box is 12S. I wish to fit a 13 pin to tow a caravan. Toyota cannot tell me why I need 2 looms and they do not do a 13 pin. Does this mean that one of the 7 pin sockets will be floating about inside the car and can the other 7 pin be converted to 13 pin? This is a bit of a noodle scratcher for non auto electricians, namely me.

Assuming you have the current XTR i dont see why the dealer can't supply you with a 13 pin loom. It does exist and is quite easy to fit. Look on the tech docs website for the install manuals and give the dealer the part number. Good luck

Gentlemen

I have had a Brinks 13 pin towbar fitted independantly. I have purchased the loom from Toyota, this consists of 2 looms each in its own little box and each complete with a 7 pin socket, one black and one white. The principal one is 12N and the smaller box is 12S. I wish to fit a 13 pin to tow a caravan. Toyota cannot tell me why I need 2 looms and they do not do a 13 pin. Does this mean that one of the 7 pin sockets will be floating about inside the car and can the other 7 pin be converted to 13 pin? This is a bit of a noodle scratcher for non auto electricians, namely me.

Hi,

you have a couple of options to get round the problem. Have a look at http://www.towbex.net/www.towbex.net/info.php?p=13 and download the .pdf diagram of the 13 pin socket and the 12n and 12s sockets. If you want to install a single 13 pin socket, then you could fairly easily wire it to the ends of the two 7 core cables that come as part of the Toyota kit(s).

Alternatively you can use a short conversion lead that is available from the same site as above. I only have the 12n socket on mine as the tow bar is used almost exclusively for my bike rack. I must work out a connection diagram to connect two 7 core cables into a 13 pin socket just for the hell of it!

The hardest part of installing the Toyota wiring kit is removing the rear trim - and that is pretty easy using a trim tool ( see Anchorman's pinned article on fitting an iPod kit to a 4.3 - it's under maintenance tips at the top of the index page for details of trim tools ). Good luck!

Oh dear. Looks like I'm going to need that luck. This is getting too complicated for me but thanks for the info gents. I will get my son to do it. He's not as intelligent as me but younger, which helps.

Assuming you have the current XTR i dont see why the dealer can't supply you with a 13 pin loom. It does exist and is quite easy to fit. Look on the tech docs website for the install manuals and give the dealer the part number. Good luck

You're dead right part no PZ457-X0561-00 is the one I need. Tho just discovered for l/h/d only.

Geez! All that to fit the wiring to the tow bar??? I have to do my Rav 4.1 at some point. I don't think I'll be taking the front wing off though!

yeah not like the old days, cut a couple of wires and crimp in the new ones, job done. Now you risk big trouble if not done right.

Ooh, like what trouble? I was just going to wire mine up to the back lights like I've always done. :eek:

Ooh, like what trouble? I was just going to wire mine up to the back lights like I've always done. :eek:

Should be interesting.

Should be interesting.

How hard can it be? :)

HI,

I bought my vehicle specific wiring kit from Towequipe, http://www.towequipe.co.uk/categorylist/to...ic-wiring-kits/

they can supply 7 and 13 pin kits, I made my own 12s power supply with a length of 27amp cable a fuse holder and a voltage sensitive relay and went direct to the Battery.

Frank

albert hall might be worth trying another dealer perhaps not enough peanuts being paid to the monkeys. My XTR is a 2008 and i fitted the kit which is for the new facelift model due in September ( i fitted in February). The only difference between the 4.3 13 pin kit and the 4.4? 13 pin kit is one less seperate loom in the kit. It fitted perfectly, no left or right hand drive option. All pins work as they should. Good luck

That's what I would have done anyway. I've bought wiring kits before for things, and have never been able to find where they plug in. I usually end up splicing anyway. I'm pretty good with vehicle electrics, so I don't anticipate any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
albert hall might be worth trying another dealer perhaps not enough peanuts being paid to the monkeys. My XTR is a 2008 and i fitted the kit which is for the new facelift model due in September ( i fitted in February). The only difference between the 4.3 13 pin kit and the 4.4? 13 pin kit is one less seperate loom in the kit. It fitted perfectly, no left or right hand drive option. All pins work as they should. Good luck

I got over this by using the 2 looms from Toyota and getting an auto electrician to wire the 7 pin cables direct into a 13 pin socket bought separately. Cheers. ;)

We started off with a Toyota twin loom and some time afterwards my husband bought a 13-pin socket, wired it up himself and trimmed back the bracket. It was a bit fiddly and I think it was rather a struggle to squeeze all those stiff wires into the casing, but it shows that it can be done (although as I have said before he is awfully clever with that sort of thing). Much neater and it fits the plug on our european caravan, although we now need an adapter for towing our old trailer with its old-fashioned UK 7-pin plug.

So - has anyone managed to install this toyota 13 pin kit on a r/h drive UK spec car?

I have had a look at the instructions and it appears that there is supposed to be a connector that you pick up near the Battery with an unwired plug on it. I have had a good luck and can't see it anywhere which makes me wonder if the wiring loom is the same on UK versions of the car. For reference page 15 shows connector "C2" going to 'B' 2 (Think this is B as in Black as opposed to loom B which is the fog lights at the back of the car). I think this is picked up by D4 on page 14 in the passenger footwell. One option would be to remove the trim and see if "White connector 4" on page 17 can be found and put an audible line trace on it to see if its picked up in the engine bay, but its easier to ask here!

On another note is there such a thing as a Rav 4.4 - its this the minor tweaked version of the 4.3 (XTR etc...) ?

Still on the topic of towbars - Does anyone know the part number for a removal one for the Rav 4.3 (we've got a T180) and do you know if there are any bumper cuts necessary. No matter how much I read it seems to get complicated and people keep referring to the Rav 4.2. On the Brink website the instructions for the bar for the T180 talk about for the car with the registration number NOT in the bumper, and then show pictures of a Rav 4.3 with a spare wheel on the back door.

Finally - not the right place I know, but I installed the reversing camera after looking at this site and it works a treat. Far better than the toyota one since its full colour and switches to self illuminated night vision in low light - all on eBay for £20 ! It does open up some interesting possibilities since if we ever get round to buying a caravan (thus the interest in towbars and 13pin wiring) I'm hoping to fit a switch in the boot to bypass the camera and activate a wireless camera receiver instead when reverse is selected. This way it means that we can connect a wireless camera to the back of the caravan to activate when the reverse lights come on. How sexy is that eh?

Thanks for reading, sorry about the frown you are probably sporting now.

Ta

The instructions always specify if they are handed as in this Bluetooth kit;

bluetooth.pdf

halfpastsix - I think you will be splicing!

I can see what you mean since it has LHD in big letters, but I wonder if the Vehicle Code is also a main indicator since both the bluetooth kit and the 13pin wiring instructions both have **A3*L-A****W

Now on our car oddly enough it has a R just before the dash instead of a L ?

If this is the case then I think its crazy that Toyota does not have a RHD version of the 13pin kit for the towbars, especially since for at least the last 24 months all the UK caravan manufacturers only produce vans with the 'new' 13pin euro connector. Some offer the old twin connectors as a optional paid for extra, but that would be just silly!

Hi Batsran and welcome to the club. Sounds like you are going to be busy!

If you PM Kingo LINK with your VIN he will be able to tell you exactly what the part number is and, even better, if you ask him nicely [he is partial to pies I hear] he will most likely quote you a discount price.

Enjoy your RAV

Hi Batsran and welcome to the club. Sounds like you are going to be busy!

If you PM Kingo LINK with your VIN he will be able to tell you exactly what the part number is and, even better, if you ask him nicely [he is partial to pies I hear] he will most likely quote you a discount price.

Enjoy your RAV

Sounds like a good idea, will do. It's my wife's car, I'm still refusing to let my BMW go !

Does anyone else have problems getting more than 32-35MPG out of the T180 ? Even without lead boots and a long journey under 80MPH it seems to refuse to get anywhere near quoted figures (and yes, the tyres have got air - no, the boot isn't full of bricks and other stuff - and of course I have manually calculated the figures from what it drinks and do not just believe the trip computer).

Just realised sounding a bit tetchy, best meditate and go to bed!

:unsure:

• 1 month later...
Gentlemen

Hi All,

I have just fitted a Brinks towbar this week and purchased a 13 pole wiring kit PZ457-X0561 from kingo which installed perfectly as detailed in Toyota-tech.eu AIM.

I have to thank kingo for his advice and fast delivery, but correct you that part No PZ457-X0561 is right for 13 pole kit, as I was told they didn't do a 13 pole kit for 4.3 models.

Jim.

I have just fitted a Brinks towbar this week and purchased a 13 pole wiring kit PZ457-X0561 from kingo which installed perfectly as detailed in Toyota-tech.eu AIM.

I have to thank kingo for his advice and fast delivery, but correct you that part No PZ457-X0561 is right for 13 pole kit, as I was told they didn't do a 13 pole kit for 4.3 models.

Jim.

Funny one this, our systems dont list a 13 pole kit, but TGB do stock it :wacko:

Thanks for the info Jim ;) anyone wants one, PM me

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links