Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Semi-synthetic Engine Oil

Call me Ishmael

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me the shelf life of an un-opened container of genuine Toyota semi-synthetic engine oil? I've had a 5-litre can in my shed for about 3-4 years. Would it still be ok to use?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

Can anyone tell me the shelf life of an un-opened container of genuine Toyota semi-synthetic engine oil? I've had a 5-litre can in my shed for about 3-4 years. Would it still be ok to use?

Thanks

Hello mate

Normally the shelf storing term is never typed on the package.

One might to find a warrantied shelf storing term in sealed package, and this is assured by the brand maker.

Usually this term isi of 5 years.

WHen surrounding conditions are an ideal (the temp is less than 60 C degrees; no any direct sun beams; the package is sealed) -- the oil might be shelf stored up to 10 years.

The counting down point is the date of manufacturing (filliing) that is stated on the package.

These records as marks are typed by a laser or special paint or punched on the package bottom.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Folks,

Thanks

Hello mate

Normally the shelf storing term is never typed on the package.

One might to find a warrantied shelf storing term in sealed package, and this is assured by the brand maker.

Usually this term isi of 5 years.

WHen surrounding conditions are an ideal (the temp is less than 60 C degrees; no any direct sun beams; the package is sealed) -- the oil might be shelf stored up to 10 years.

The counting down point is the date of manufacturing (filliing) that is stated on the package.

These records as marks are typed by a laser or special paint or punched on the package bottom.

Cheers/Igor

Besides

the oil's enemies are the moisture and extreme hot temp.

Cheers

How can oil be out of date, where does it come from, its like how come mineral water has a use by date, its been under the earth for millions of years, its only the additives you have got to watch

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like it should still be ok then.

It's been there for so long because we moved house shortly after I'd bought it and it had got 'buried' at the back of the shed. I was rooting around the other day and came upon it again. Being a miser, I was reluctant to dump it, or spend the next 10 years feeding it to my lawnmower a pint at a time, but was a little concerned that it may no longer be up to the job of lubricating my Avensis D4D engine properly. Now, I definately wouldn't want to shorten the life of the car engine in order to save a few pounds!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links