Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 1984 Ma61 Supra

phil_h

Hi all,

I picked up my first Toyota and Japanese car a couple of months back - a 1984 Celica Supra with the 2.8L 6cyl 5MGE engine and manual 5 speed box. I've always been into retro cars and when I saw this for sale I knew I had to get it. I'm not sure if the previous owner was on this website but some of you may recognise the car if so.

The spec from standard is pretty impressive - it has electric windows + sunroof, LSD, IRS, digital dash, cruise control, air-con, multi adjustable seats etc. All of which works which is nice on a retro!

The condition of the paint, engine, bodywork and interior is amazing for a 25year old car, a real credit to its previous owners - with only a couple of tiny rust bubbles on the boot lid.

The car has a couple of modifications - Simota air filter and 3inch intake, full exhaust system (sounds amazing) and much lower suspension than standard (a bit choppy and can make speedbumps a challenge) It really is a joy to drive and puts a big smile on my face every time I do!

The 2.8 lump has 168bhp/169lb/ft of torque so it goes well! Fuel consumption is a little scary after driving a series of small engined snotters but it really is worth it for how much fun it is. The interior is very very 80's but again, is in mint condtion and looks pretty much new.

Insurance is a bit of nightmare as I'm only 20 and it's a Group 20, but again, it's worth it. I plan on keeping her pretty much as she is, maybe changing the wheels for some period rims but not too sure yet. Enough talk anyway here's some pictures...

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

Thats a cool car :thumbsup: am loving the brown plastic dash and brown steering wheel :D

Ahhhhhh so your the new owner of the Biscuit! :lol:

Your car is well known in the mk2 supra community and i know its a very good example.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I used to have a 85 MA61 Manual in white in which i swapped out 2.8 5M-GE for the 4.0 1UZ-FE. This instantly meant i had the fastest mk2 in europe :lol:

Since sold it to a chap who is over in Ireland.

Love these cars to bits, all the best :thumbsup:

Ahhhhhh so your the new owner of the Biscuit! :lol:

Your car is well known in the mk2 supra community and i know its a very good example.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

I used to have a 85 MA61 Manual in white in which i swapped out 2.8 5M-GE for the 4.0 1UZ-FE. This instantly meant i had the fastest mk2 in europe :lol:

Since sold it to a chap who is over in Ireland.

Love these cars to bits, all the best :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

'The biscuit'??! Lol :lol: Cheers, its in great nick and I plan on keeping it that way. Is there a UK mk2 forum? I coudn't seem to find one before.

Your MA61 project sounds ace, would be interested to see a thread or pics if you have any?

Cheers

Your MA61 project sounds ace, would be interested to see a thread or pics if you have any?

I borrowed Leeky's car for a while, when I managed to destroy my engine.

Such a giggle.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to 2.8 Celica-Supra ownership Phil :) and your car was called the CONKER on the celica-club for obvious reasons :D , its a well know and well looked after car so you should have no big worries with it, looks like I'm not the only Celica-Supra owner on here now, will not since Leeky jumped ship :P , let me know if you need any advice :)

and your car was called the CONKER....... will not since Leeky jumped ship

Thats what it was called! God knows why i thought it was called the Biscuit! :lol:

Ahh yes i do miss the ole MA61, special cars :) Never driven anything else with that same feel :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I picked up my first Toyota and Japanese car a couple of months back - a 1984 Celica Supra with the 2.8L 6cyl 5MGE engine and manual 5 speed box. I've always been into retro cars and when I saw this for sale I knew I had to get it. I'm not sure if the previous owner was on this website but some of you may recognise the car if so.

The spec from standard is pretty impressive - it has electric windows + sunroof, LSD, IRS, digital dash, cruise control, air-con, multi adjustable seats etc. All of which works which is nice on a retro!

The condition of the paint, engine, bodywork and interior is amazing for a 25year old car, a real credit to its previous owners - with only a couple of tiny rust bubbles on the boot lid.

The car has a couple of modifications - Simota air filter and 3inch intake, full exhaust system (sounds amazing) and much lower suspension than standard (a bit choppy and can make speedbumps a challenge) It really is a joy to drive and puts a big smile on my face every time I do!

The 2.8 lump has 168bhp/169lb/ft of torque so it goes well! Fuel consumption is a little scary after driving a series of small engined snotters but it really is worth it for how much fun it is. The interior is very very 80's but again, is in mint condtion and looks pretty much new.

Insurance is a bit of nightmare as I'm only 20 and it's a Group 20, but again, it's worth it. I plan on keeping her pretty much as she is, maybe changing the wheels for some period rims but not too sure yet. Enough talk anyway here's some pictures...

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

Hi. Welcome to the world of Supra ownership!! God only knows how you managed to get insured at 20!!! I had to wait till I was 29 before I could afford the insurance. I have an identical Supra which I have spent the last 3 years renovating. Stripped to a bare Shell & colour changed to Chrysler salsa red (an orangey copper colour) Sorry guys but I hated the 2 tone burgundy/mahogany colour scheme!!! Has had all parts refurbished or renewed & is now in the stage of bolting everything back together, luckily I have a donor car next to it so I can put everything back in the right order with correct fixings etc. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU STRIP YOUR SUPRA TO A BARE Shell!!!!!!! Im looking for a set of new wheelarch mouldings (the black rubbers that fit between the flares & the car body) If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you enjoy your Supra, they are certainly an 80's icon which get admiring glances & comments when filling up at he petrol station. Not surprising as they still look stylish alongside todays sports coupes which tend to have no individuality or character!!!

All the best, Supramax.

• 1 month later...
Hi. Welcome to the world of Supra ownership!! God only knows how you managed to get insured at 20!!! I had to wait till I was 29 before I could afford the insurance. I have an identical Supra which I have spent the last 3 years renovating. Stripped to a bare shell & colour changed to Chrysler salsa red (an orangey copper colour) Sorry guys but I hated the 2 tone burgundy/mahogany colour scheme!!! Has had all parts refurbished or renewed & is now in the stage of bolting everything back together, luckily I have a donor car next to it so I can put everything back in the right order with correct fixings etc. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU STRIP YOUR SUPRA TO A BARE SHELL!!!!!!! Im looking for a set of new wheelarch mouldings (the black rubbers that fit between the flares & the car body) If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you enjoy your Supra, they are certainly an 80's icon which get admiring glances & comments when filling up at he petrol station. Not surprising as they still look stylish alongside todays sports coupes which tend to have no individuality or character!!!

All the best, Supramax.

Another 2.8 owner ( and a TA22 )...welcome Supramax

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Luckily i got a place to refer regarding 5M-GE,

Im curious how many litres of engine oil it needs cuz my latest ride (5M-GE) enough wz 4 litres and the dipstick show full already. Not that sure if the dipstick is the oem or other cars but sits perfectly.

Care to share some infos on maintenance?

By any chance u still hv the manuals for the engine/car ?

Regards

Andy

Toyota Soarer MZ11 2.8GT Extra Edition

• 2 weeks later...

So there I was Googling about to show someone a picture of an MA61 like the one I used to own and I find my car. My EXACT car, haven't seen it for years! I thought I might give you a little bit of background on it, in case you're interested. You may not be but hey, I'm still doing it!

So around 1999 I was fancying a change and spotted a Silver Celica-Supra for sale locally. I'd never even seen one before and immediately called to find the seller was counting the cash from the sale just completed. Damn it. Started surfing around for info and find a 'red' one in Essex, which is a fair trek from South Wales.

We got talking and he was the original owner of the car. He had only covered 42,000 miles in 17 years but the car had only ever been out of the garage for it's annual MOT for the previous 3 years. He wants £1,500 and that sounds about right so 4 hours later I pull up to find it's brown. Hmm. I ask what's up with the colour and he shows me the V5, which does indeed say RED. 2-tone-metallic-red is what Toyota called it. It was actually brown. Hmm.

The owner was thinking about emigrating so it had to go. It didn't want to start very well and there was rust on the backs of the sills. The trim below the windscreen was rusted through too, but he had one on order. So I look around, take a drive (the brakes barely work), and I offer him £900, mainly because I was expecting a fire-engine red car and it wasn't. What does he say? Nothing, just drives the car back into the garage, closes the door, goes in his house and turns on the TV. Nice.

So I knock the door and he very slowly answers. Half an hour later I'm driving away having given him £1,426. It was all I had.

So I got it home and gave it a good wash, polish and wax. Well now, it does seem somewhat red after all! I gave it to my trusty spanner man who cleaned up the brakes and give it a basic service. I suggest we whack it in for an MOT to see what we've got to work with (there's only 3 weeks left), and whadya know, clean pass!

After that I fitted tyres, the cone air filter, driveshaft seals, clutch slave cylinder and mechanically that was all for the 3 years I owned it. 2 oil changes a year is all I had to think about! I had the rust sorted of course, which was worse than it looked once the sill trims and arches were off. In front of the rear arches, under the arches and behind all needed work but it was done to a very high standard (should still be solid), and I got new sill trims from Toyota (£150).

So after 3 years and about 30,000 miles I got bored and a friend that had ridden in the car several times knocked the door and asked if I'd swap it for his 6-month-old dirt bike. He'd paid over £3,000 for that bike so I went for it. After 18 months of dirt I sold that for £1900, so I had my money back.

My friend however wasn't so fortunate. He contacted the Toyota Owner's Club and advertised it once, then put it in the local paper. Apart from that, nobody new it was available. He had more offers from people in the street than from those ads but he did have a couple of people come to view it. One spent an hour looking then did a 30 mile test drive before offering to swap it for his watch...

Another said he'd be back in 30 minutes with a £200 cash deposit, he just had to get his wife to the shops before closing time. Never came back. Eventually a mid-Wales dealer called and said he'd take the car off his hands for £1,600, which he did. That friend of mine wasn't very happy when I found a web page for the car a few months later saying that the owner had paid £3,000 for it! Well that's what you get for not making the effort to sell a rare car properly!

Anyway, it looks like a few things have happened to the car. Those ignition leads, intake, lowering and exhaust for starters. The TRD Badge has arrived and the tailgate stickers have left. Anyway, it's good to see the old girl and I'm glad it's in the hands of someone that'll take proper care too.

I'm driving a 1992 Honda Prelude VTEC now, you'll find me over on PreludeUK, but I'll keep an eye out here for news.

Regards, Booty Inspector.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice...

Although it's a bit ofa pet hate when people put silly MKIV "curvy" supra stickers on older cars...

So there I was Googling about to show someone a picture of an MA61 like the one I used to own and I find my car. My EXACT car, haven't seen it for years! I thought I might give you a little bit of background on it, in case you're interested. You may not be but hey, I'm still doing it!

So around 1999 I was fancying a change and spotted a Silver Celica-Supra for sale locally. I'd never even seen one before and immediately called to find the seller was counting the cash from the sale just completed. Damn it. Started surfing around for info and find a 'red' one in Essex, which is a fair trek from South Wales.

We got talking and he was the original owner of the car. He had only covered 42,000 miles in 17 years but the car had only ever been out of the garage for it's annual MOT for the previous 3 years. He wants £1,500 and that sounds about right so 4 hours later I pull up to find it's brown. Hmm. I ask what's up with the colour and he shows me the V5, which does indeed say RED. 2-tone-metallic-red is what Toyota called it. It was actually brown. Hmm.

The owner was thinking about emigrating so it had to go. It didn't want to start very well and there was rust on the backs of the sills. The trim below the windscreen was rusted through too, but he had one on order. So I look around, take a drive (the brakes barely work), and I offer him £900, mainly because I was expecting a fire-engine red car and it wasn't. What does he say? Nothing, just drives the car back into the garage, closes the door, goes in his house and turns on the TV. Nice.

So I knock the door and he very slowly answers. Half an hour later I'm driving away having given him £1,426. It was all I had.

So I got it home and gave it a good wash, polish and wax. Well now, it does seem somewhat red after all! I gave it to my trusty spanner man who cleaned up the brakes and give it a basic service. I suggest we whack it in for an MOT to see what we've got to work with (there's only 3 weeks left), and whadya know, clean pass!

After that I fitted tyres, the cone air filter, driveshaft seals, clutch slave cylinder and mechanically that was all for the 3 years I owned it. 2 oil changes a year is all I had to think about! I had the rust sorted of course, which was worse than it looked once the sill trims and arches were off. In front of the rear arches, under the arches and behind all needed work but it was done to a very high standard (should still be solid), and I got new sill trims from Toyota (£150).

So after 3 years and about 30,000 miles I got bored and a friend that had ridden in the car several times knocked the door and asked if I'd swap it for his 6-month-old dirt bike. He'd paid over £3,000 for that bike so I went for it. After 18 months of dirt I sold that for £1900, so I had my money back.

My friend however wasn't so fortunate. He contacted the Toyota Owner's Club and advertised it once, then put it in the local paper. Apart from that, nobody new it was available. He had more offers from people in the street than from those ads but he did have a couple of people come to view it. One spent an hour looking then did a 30 mile test drive before offering to swap it for his watch...

Another said he'd be back in 30 minutes with a £200 cash deposit, he just had to get his wife to the shops before closing time. Never came back. Eventually a mid-Wales dealer called and said he'd take the car off his hands for £1,600, which he did. That friend of mine wasn't very happy when I found a web page for the car a few months later saying that the owner had paid £3,000 for it! Well that's what you get for not making the effort to sell a rare car properly!

Anyway, it looks like a few things have happened to the car. Those ignition leads, intake, lowering and exhaust for starters. The TRD badge has arrived and the tailgate stickers have left. Anyway, it's good to see the old girl and I'm glad it's in the hands of someone that'll take proper care too.

I'm driving a 1992 Honda Prelude VTEC now, you'll find me over on PreludeUK, but I'll keep an eye out here for news.

Regards, Booty Inspector.

Nice bit of history :)

Hi,

Luckily i got a place to refer regarding 5M-GE,

Im curious how many litres of engine oil it needs cuz my latest ride (5M-GE) enough wz 4 litres and the dipstick show full already. Not that sure if the dipstick is the oem or other cars but sits perfectly.

Care to share some infos on maintenance?

By any chance u still hv the manuals for the engine/car ?

Regards

Andy

Toyota Soarer MZ11 2.8GT Extra Edition

The 5M-GE in a Celica-Supra takes 5.1lt :)

• 3 weeks later...

A stunning car mate, very nice buy! Very muscley, it's not dissimilar to the AE86 Corolla styling.

I am pleased with how well my GTi Corolla is equipped, considering its age. It seems that Toyota were well into their gadgets unlike other companies at the time. :)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the history, it's good to know stuff like that. I sold that car back in August to a lad from Manchester. Anyone know any news on it, if its still alive? I want it back! lol. Regret selling that car

Looks like you have bought a really nice example :thumbsup:

Brings back memories of my Mk2, I always remember it being really comfortable.

• 11 years later...

I've just checked and rhe Conker doesn't seem to have been in the road since 2011. Would love to know where it is now