Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0 Raditor

TPJ

Hi,

Been a lurker for a while and never had any real issues with my Yaris.

Lately I've noticed the radiator fan comes on alot whether stationary in traffic or driving along. Looking at the unit, over half of the little cooling fins are missing and the others disintegrate if you poke them. Should I replace the unit or could there be another issue with the cooling system? There are no leaks and no water getting into the engine e.g. oil cap has no white sludge. The coolant was changed just last year and is the proper red stuff. My engine warning light has been on for a long while even after a garage "fixing" the error at the last MOT in October. I've also noticed that I'm getting better millage which might indicate the engine is running lean. This may make it run hotter.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks,

Tom

sounds like the rad is on the way out but as you said, it's not leaking so take the time to look around for a good price!

it could be the extra hot weather making the fan come on more, too! just keep checking the coolant level and make sure there isn't an air-lock in the system. perhaps the thermostat or temp switch has got cruddy?

I think the cooling fan is on a lot because (a) the recent hot weather and (B) the radiator fins as you described are totally shot, this in turn makes it harder for the radiator to dissipate its heat resulting in the not so cooled water entering the engine block creating a vicous cycle.

I suggest you take gar's advice and start looking for a replacement radiator.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links