Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mph Readings

Bos

How can you tell if your speedo is telling you the correct speed you are doing ?

Lately when I am doing 30 in a 30 zone or 40 in a 40 zone I am getting motorists behind me trying to overtake and blasting their horns at me !!

I am going by my speedo and this has only just started to happen.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as some people seem to be impatient, but to answer your initial question, the best way is by comparing it by using a Sat Nav. I have found it to 1 or 2 mph out sometimes at those speeds (but not always the case).

Lately when I am doing 30 in a 30 zone or 40 in a 40 zone I am getting motorists behind me trying to overtake and blasting their horns at me !!

They'll do that no matter what speed you are doing. Some chick was drafting me at 70mph one day so i pulled over to let her pass. I then followed her at a distance to see what speed she would eventually settle at. I bailed out at 90mph and she kept going. Think of the fuel wasted! Oh the humanity!!!! :P

They'll do that no matter what speed you are doing. Some chick was drafting me at 70mph one day so i pulled over to let her pass. I then followed her at a distance to see what speed she would eventually settle at. I bailed out at 90mph and she kept going. Think of the fuel wasted! Oh the humanity!!!! :P

Same here I try to stick to the speed limit but even when doing a steady 70 on a motorway I get people zooming past be like a Ferrari Enzo would pass a motability scooter.

Some people have posted discrepancies between their gps and their speedo, but mine's more or less matched up with the speed-trap displays I've seen, ±1mph.

The increase of inpatient people I put down to summer; I don't know about the rest of the country but round here, as soon as summer hits, it seems everyone drives like a friggin' maniac.

I must admit I'm not helping; When people tailgate me I open up a bigger gap in front of me by slowing down while glaring at them in the mirror until they back off (I'm not sure where I learned to do that but I now take a kind of sadistic pleasure out of annnoying people like that :spiteful: )

Some people have posted discrepancies between their gps and their speedo, but mine's more or less matched up with the speed-trap displays I've seen, ±1mph.

The increase of inpatient people I put down to summer; I don't know about the rest of the country but round here, as soon as summer hits, it seems everyone drives like a friggin' maniac.

I must admit I'm not helping; When people tailgate me I open up a bigger gap in front of me by slowing down while glaring at them in the mirror until they back off (I'm not sure where I learned to do that but I now take a kind of sadistic pleasure out of annnoying people like that :spiteful: )

I agree with all of that post above ^^.

On our Tom Tom mine is about 2mph out.

Yep, driving up my backside is going to make me slow down. /\ /\ Sometimes I'm sure I can feel the heat from their blood boiling, but if they're going to rear-end me in an accident it'll be at a slower speed.

Mick

I forgot to say, if the situation seems really bad have you checked you haven't switched the speedo to kilometres per hour rather than miles per hour? It's very easy to do by mistake and it is freaky if you don't notice.

Cheers,

Mick

I too drive at the legal limit when tailgated..

Espec ially in 30 mph limits.

If anyone tooted, I would slow down....

The DVLA say that if that happens, you are to employ "traffic calming measures" which they define as slowing down anyways, so the satisfying pleasure you get out of it is just a bonus! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links