Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2002 Engine Swap To Daihatsu Yrv Turbo?

malteser66

Hi my father has a Vitz 2002 with a 1.0 engine full extras and a manual gearbox. The Yaris is nice and in tip top condition but the engine power is a disappointment, I think that the 1.0 is a very weak engine, it does not pick up speed (accelerate) especially in top gear and he has to drop gears all the time and with the A/C on its even worse. I have a 98 hyundai atos 1.0 which compared to it it flyes ;P. Anyway I have found a Daihatsu YRV 1.3 turbo intercooled engine (130bhp), will it fit the Yaris?, is it a direct swap and what work is needed?. What manual gearbox has to be applied to it. (Does an Rs 1.3 or 1.5 Turbo Gearbox fit) I need some professional advice so we can buy the engine and parts with confidence, I think we wouldn`t be able to return it if it does not fit.....

Thanks in advance, Cheers, AL

Hi my father has a Vitz 2002 with a 1.0 engine full extras and a manual gearbox. The Yaris is nice and in tip top condition but the engine power is a disappointment, I think that the 1.0 is a very weak engine, it does not pick up speed (accelerate) especially in top gear and he has to drop gears all the time and with the A/C on its even worse. I have a 98 hyundai atos 1.0 which compared to it it flyes ;P. Anyway I have found a Daihatsu YRV 1.3 turbo intercooled engine (130bhp), will it fit the Yaris?, is it a direct swap and what work is needed?. What manual gearbox has to be applied to it. (Does an Rs 1.3 or 1.5 Turbo Gearbox fit) I need some professional advice so we can buy the engine and parts with confidence, I think we wouldn`t be able to return it if it does not fit.....

Thanks in advance, Cheers, AL

That's like asking how long is a peice if string!! :rolleyes:

If you are serious about doing this type of engine swap, then you have to do the calculations first.

Why not start by removing the Yaris motor, measuring the engine mounts and where it sits in the car, then measure the other engine.

More than likely you will have to fabricate new engine mounts to get the thing sitting perfect once in.

If you do get it in, there's the subject of the components to consider, ie, will the drive shafts line up, exhaust manifolds ect...Then there's the electrics, the brakes and suspension will need upgrading...

It's a big job to undertake, why not just buy a T-Sport and charge it? ;)