Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Freshners Burnt My Console :(

waxxy

i bought a clip on air vent airfreshner yesterday and this morning i decided to clip it on as i drove to work ..i only work 10 mins away by car as i pulled up at the car park i noticed a black goo on my fascia above my cd unit i pulled the clip on air freshner off and noticed its burnt all the paint off right down to the clear plastic !! its butnt a hole the size of a 1 pence coin and looks !Removed! terrible ..any ideas what i could do too fix it?

im getting ****** of with the yaris at the minute ive had it 3 weeks and its given me 3 weeks of nightmares id wished id stuck with my 15 year old astra that bugger could take real punishment but the yaris feels like im driving on egg shells each time i get in it and the plastics inside the car are really crap the slightest touch and it scratches or discolours ..buying this car has learnt me one thing ill never ever ever buy a new car again next year im gonna give this car to my wife and im looking to buy a second hand hyundai coupe to run about it ..sorry rant over any help please..

also if it cant be covered up my wife said shed buy a new unit for it i think i saw a dvd unit once on eBay for it but i didnt know if theyd fit in it and is there anywere in this country that sells the units to go into a yaris and are they easy to fit or is it best get a pro too fit it?thanks everyone

Sorry to hear that you have had the dreaded experience with the liquid air fresheners (they should be banned) though shame you didn't read this thread 1st :(

It's always the problem with buying a car from brand new (unless you have money to burn) that you're worried about the slightest mark against an older and more 'used' car.

There are a few companies about who actually do dash repair who maybe be able to sort it, so could be worth a search before paying out for a new unit to see how costs compare :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that you have had the dreaded experience with the liquid air fresheners (they should be banned) though shame you didn't read this thread 1st :(

It's always the problem with buying a car from brand new (unless you have money to burn) that you're worried about the slightest mark against an older and more 'used' car.

There are a few companies about who actually do dash repair who maybe be able to sort it, so could be worth a search before paying out for a new unit to see how costs compare :thumbsup:

ive used the liquid freshners before in my old astra and on burst and left no marks on the dash and i only bought this one because i wanted it too look and smell like new but it seems everytime i try too keep it clean i make it look worse than it did before :(

do you know of any dash repiars in the wigan/bolton area ?ive contacted the garage i bought it from and they said theyll look at it sometime this week too see if theres anything they can do too fix it..im hoping it could be paint matched so it wont look as obvoius but as it stands it looks like someones burnt it with a cigarette :(

There is nothing wrong with the car, it’s the owner! Air fresheners damage plastic! There should be instructions about keeping it away from plastic dash boards? Did you read the packet?

Your shenanigans are keeping me entertained :lol: Why would you want an air freshener in a brand new car? The new car smell is to die for, masking it with an artificial chemical smell should be made illegal. Unless you have a dirty dog or sickly child in there enjoy the new fragrance!

ive used the liquid freshners before in my old astra and on burst and left no marks on the dash and i only bought this one because i wanted it too look and smell like new but it seems everytime i try too keep it clean i make it look worse than it did before :(

do you know of any dash repiars in the wigan/bolton area ?ive contacted the garage i bought it from and they said theyll look at it sometime this week too see if theres anything they can do too fix it..im hoping it could be paint matched so it wont look as obvoius but as it stands it looks like someones burnt it with a cigarette :(

I put one in a company car (KA) I had once & it completely wrecked the dash :unsure: took all the plastic paint finish off ;) If you don't want anything hanging go for the 'smelly wood balls' you can get & put them in the ashtray :thumbsup:

Only repairers I know are in the Essex & Herts areas which is a bit far out for you. Maybe worth having a word with a local car sales place as they usually have someone they use for that kind of thing when tidying up 2nd hand cars. There are loads of DIY kits available if you fancy having a go yourself though & plenty of guides on the 'net :)

There are loads of DIY kits available if you fancy having a go yourself though & plenty of guides on the 'net :)

I wouldn’t go down the DIY route, you will make it worse. Your dealer will know someone who can do it.

lol ..after the mess ive made trying to keep it clean if i start trying to do any diy on the car i know the car would burst into flames lol

too be honest it was a impulse buy thing i saw it it smelt nice i thought itd look nice in the car so i bought it..yeah i read the packaging and it did state it may damage but id had one in my old astra and it did no damage there and i spilt it everwere in the car and it never did anything to damage the cars dash but the yaris seems very fragile too me compared to other cars ive had or drove.

im also going threw that new owners fase were your driving around on egg shells and wearing kids gloves and scared constantly about were i park in supermarket carparks and panic over the slightest blemish it also doesnt help matters that i suffer from o.c.d so things like this play on my mind over and over again.i know in a few months time ill finally start enjoying the car but at the minute im a bag of nerves and paranoid everythings out too damage my car..i see a seagull flying over head i know that the feathery *****s gonna poo onmy car ,i see a chav on a crappy stolen bmx i know the bellends gonna scratch it..i see two illegal imigrants look at it i know there gonna hijack it shoot me in the head steal my identity and buy a tv in my name from currys and pay for it on 12 months intrest free payments and use my identity to buy it .!!!!!!!!!!

after ive just calmed down and also had a bolloking of my wife/dad/baby and theyve all told me too chill out or sell it and buy a second hand car so after the intervention ive looked at the marks again ..yes they do look bad ..yes it looks ugly..yes you can see the marks if your looking at it from the moon but i do think if the garage has some touch up paint of the same colour they could cover it up easily ..well thats what i keep telling myself and hope they can fix it :(

oh and i bought a air freshner because ive hurt my foot and i have to wear a aircast when not driving thats why i only drive it for a few minutes each day because i have to keep the cast on but because of the bad weather my cast smells like a dead cats hiding in my car so i thought itd be a good idea to buy a airfreshner ..next time i have a good idea ill remember none of my ideas turn out too be good ones so ill try and ignore any ideas i have in the future :)

You will be amazed at what body shops can do to repair minor scuffs and scratches. Unfortunately every car is going to gain some battle scars from everyday use, but with a bit of planning you will be able to minimise the risks.

I go shopping earlier in the morning on a weekday; kids are going to school and not with parents in the super market car park, less chance of a dented door, the car park is quieter. I park the furthest away from the entrance as most people are lazy and will park as close to the doors as possible, less chance of a trolley scratching my pride and joy. I park in a corner to prevent anyone paring at one side and in front or behind me, only exposes on side and not all four.

If I park next to a car I look inside the car next to me, do I see a child seat front or back (they will open their doors to the full extent) Is the front seat close to the steering wheel (female) Is it fully reclined? (chav boy racer) what is the condition and age of the car, this tells me the type of driver, is there anything on the front seat showing that no one will be sitting there? Etc etc, this only takes seconds to do. Its easy to build up a mental picture of types of owners and drivers by the condition of their cars. If it doesn’t ‘feel’ right I will park somewhere else. It soon becomes second nature!

My Yaris is now 9 months old and I still park across 2 spaces... the one time I didn't at the gym it got scratched... sods law for you!

Also kerbed a wheel the other day... first time i've ever kerbed a wheel in all my.. 6 years of driving! Sad times indeed.

thanks reece thats great advice ill remeber that another tip my mates have told is to park in 2 bays and if anyone says anything just tell them i had to park like that because another car next to me had done the same :)

Wow... where do you guys live, so I can avoid those places! :blink:

I wonder if you can get those protective trim-strips for a Yaris (My fiesta had those; Were a very good idea I thought!).

Fairly sure if you park across two spaces where I study... You'll be fined and have your car vandalised in some form!

Sounds like a bit of bad luck to say the least!

I started the thread that was linked to above, definately wont go for a liquid one ever from now on.

Hope it gets sorted relatively easily for you.

I wouldn't recommend parking across 2 spaces either as you'll more than likely get a fine. I suggest you do what reece say's and choose the space where there'll be the least chance of knocks and scrapes, not always easy I know, but I've been known to sometimes sit in the car while the wife does the shopping, that way I find that the people who park next to you take extra care because they know you're watching.

I still spend an extra 5 minutes in a multi storey car park, seeking out a space that is separated from other spaces by a support pillar.

It is well worth the extra time taken to avoid car park "dings"

My car is nearly 3 years old and soon to be traded in

Sorry to hear about the air freshner business

i always park next to new cars as i reckon new car owners wont be hashy with door banging and scratching as they get in :) (i hope)

i always park next to new cars as i reckon new car owners wont be hashy with door banging and scratching as they get in :) (i hope)

Unless it's a company car where most owners couldn't give a poo about them! Not their car and all that.... :(

Unless it's a company car where most owners couldn't give a poo about them! Not their car and all that.... :(

in my old car there was a idiot that put a dent in my roof and my passenger door just before i traded it in for the yaris.i saw him do it i was coming out the asda in bolton and he walked of towards the shops in the opposite direction i saw him laugh to his wife as he was walking away and i was carrying the baby so i couldnt run after him .

so i checked out the damage and it looked bad and he had a newish car so i thought right you bastrd pay back so i opened the passenger door abit sat in the drivers seat and kicked my passenger door as hard as i could and it put a massive dent in this pricks car then i let his tyres down lol

if id done what hed done in the first place i would have waited for the guy to return and appologize and offer him to fix it not walk away laughing.the dent in my roof was caused because he took something of his roof rck and he was banging it on my roof as he got it off it must have been heavy because the dent was very big in my car..if it had been the yaris id have punched his head off lol

Thats horrible to do it is one thing but to laugh about it is another

ive been pretty lucky i havent had anymore dents and scratches, i bought my yaris 2nd hand and there was a few dents and scratches and a couple of things that the toyota garage had tried to fix (but not very well lol :unsure: )

but i suppose its all chance really, just because ill careful with my car doesnt mean folk will be careful with theirs (or mine!!)

i always give other drivers respect and eave them enough gap to get out and if i feel im too close ill park somewere else even if its not my fault ut some are just plain ignorant and builders and middle aged people are the worst culprits for disragard as far as i can tel ..ive seen builders park there vans in the baby spaces and ive seen middle aged people park in disabled bays and there not disabled but they think theyve ot the gods given right to do what they want ,.,,they eave trollys behind cars so they scratch them ..idiots ..

Waxxy, i agree totally with you on this mate! ;)

I had some white tranny van right up behind me the other day, the road was wet, it was raining slightly, and it's a 30zone.

I was doing about 32mph behind a focus and this **** came up behind me and just say there, say about 2ft from my bumper, kept pulling to the middle of the road as if he was gonna overtake, but then sat behind me again. :censor:

Next set of traffic lights, how i didn't get out the car, drag him out and beat him senseless i don't know.

Sounds childish (well it is!) but when lights changed to green, focus driver sets off and i just sit there not moving....**** behind me starts banging on the horn , flashing his lights so i put the hazzards on.....

He thinks i've broke down, then just as the lights change to amber, foot down and zoom away throught the lights, he has to sit there then as they've gone back on red!! :lol:

Well at least, he didn't sit behind me for the duration home....Yes, i know it's childish and immature but sometimes you really can't help yerself! :thumbsup:

i always give other drivers respect and eave them enough gap to get out and if i feel im too close ill park somewere else even if its not my fault ut some are just plain ignorant and builders and middle aged people are the worst culprits for disragard as far as i can tel ..ive seen builders park there vans in the baby spaces and ive seen middle aged people park in disabled bays and there not disabled but they think theyve ot the gods given right to do what they want ,.,,they eave trollys behind cars so they scratch them ..idiots ..

It is a very dangerous thing to generalise or stereotype on these forums as many of our members are either builders or middle aged........................(Some of them fall into both catagories :lol: )

You cannot honestly say that all builders and middle aged people are responsible for your damage :rolleyes::unsure:

Just take a look around yourself at "Other groups" and open your mind a bit! :angry:

the type im refering to drive the old beat up white transit vans and useally have a dashboard full of razzles..and the old ones most of the time drive either citreon picassos or ford focus..now come on red dont tell me youve never had trouble or seen these idiots think they own the road..

im not mega young im neary 40 but i dont travel 3 inchs away from peoples bumpers like some do..we should have a pol were by you can vote which manufacturers drivers drive like idiots the most..my vote would be for ford drivers everyone muppet whos tail trailered me was driing a ford transit or a ford focus you never see toyota drivers tail gate :)