Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High Pitched Hissing When Touching The Accelerator ( T3 D-4d )

djs2009

Hi all, new to the forum.

I bought an 04 T3 D-4D second hand.

Today I noticed that there's a high pitch hissing (similar to the noise some old CRT TV's used to make).

It only happens when I put my foot on the accelerator. When I take my foot of the pedal the noise will stop after around 1 second.

I don't know anything about cars, but my guess would be it may be something to do with the Turbo kicking in? As the noise stops when i take my foot off the pedal.

If anyone can advise me what it could be, that'd be great.

Thanks

Sounds perfectly normal to me, you do know turbo's are supposed to make a hissing noise, so im assuming this is a hissing that doesn't sound right?

You may have one of your air intake pipes to or from the turbo which has come loose , get someone to check all the air intake pipes , one might also be split.

I thought turbos made more of a high-pitched whine than a hiss?

I'd think a hiss is more likely some sort of air leak (e.g. turbo air hose as mentioned above...)

Thanks for the replies.

I drove the car again today. Sorry, I shouldn't really have described it as a hissing noise.

I'm not too sure how to describe it, it's very high pitched, and it's like a mega fast "ticking" (with a hiss)

But it sounds like it's coming from the left hand side of the car (when you're sitting in the driver seat)

I have to drive with the radio on as it's quite irritating to hear it.

Is the turbo "drone" meant to be that annoying?

Hi

I also have a yaris D4d since one month ago and I feel from the beginning a different noise not when I touch the acelerator, but when I change the gear and touch the clutch.

It' my first diesel but I don't know if it is normal. Do you think it is better go to the toyota garage??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links